Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2012, 22:45   #721

Boat: 33ft sloop
re: Cruise Ship Costa Concordia - MERGED THREADS

The CC group as you call them is the very opposite from what we are: inactive in everything they are just bystanders. Users of a facility which is far astern of any real "seafeeling". Freed from any responsibility save good behaviour they use the services offered by a number of companies.
That' s a world of difference. No more Nicholas Montsarrat's scenarios but Disneylike stupidities.

All they can do is gossip. Cruising that way is not for the rich but for the poor.
Leave them at their own level.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 22:48   #722

Boat: Ct 37
So if there was indeed a mutiny on the bridge and the guest captain took over command of the vessel and captain schettino and first officer were relived from there duty Is it still considered abandoning when they left?? Either way he pooped the bed and created a mess
Pato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 23:28   #723

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
The CC group as you call them is the very opposite from what we are: inactive in everything they are just bystanders. Users of a facility which is far astern of any real "seafeeling". Freed from any responsibility save good behaviour they use the services offered by a number of companies.
That' s a world of difference. No more Nicholas Montsarrat's scenarios but Disneylike stupidities.

All they can do is gossip. Cruising that way is not for the rich but for the poor.
Leave them at their own level.
I started out on the wrong foot over on CC when I explained how tender the stability of a cruise ship is (as mentioned in Sara's link) about 8 days ago. I explained ship's stability, used teaching tools, the whole 9 yards, got jumped by 1/2 the folks on a thread that has gone to over 4000 posts. The other 1/2 was interested about other ship aspects and each time I responded, got flamed and an automatic message from the forum staff for some infraction. The way things are set up on their forum is each post made has a red triangle "report" button for the use of all members to bring to the attention of the forum staff that this poster is offending. I wound up with a few of these warnings and when another member posted pictures of the bridge of a cruise ship he was on, I in turn posted pictures of the bridge of the 32,000 ton rig I was on, saying "The cruise ship bridges are really first class, large and modern as compared to my bridge". Bingo, final automatic warning, I've been banned. I don't know how I can live without being a member of the CC community.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 23:46   #724
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I each time I responded, got flamed and an automatic message from the forum staff for some infraction....

Bingo, final automatic warning, I've been banned. I don't know how I can live without being a member of the CC community.
LOL!!! Aren't you so glad the mods here are such sweet pussy cats!

(Don't answer that, we'd have to delete out comments about moderation!!!

PS - Our red triangle is down there on the left - for reporting trolling comments..

<<<<
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 00:02   #725
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My husband thinks I'm nuts when I refuse to go sailing on Friday 13th. I haven't always been like that -I was always nervous, but the refusal to sail started a few years ago, when on Friday 13th a fairly decent wind (but nothing unusual) blew up during a local race, and one yacht got tangled in a fishing pot and another one lost its halyard.

Then, the following Friday 13th, during a beach cat race (again, I wasn't sailing) the entire fleet managed to flip, with one losing its mast.

Now, these things happen, and not just on Friday 13th, but the way I see it, bad things are guaranteed to happen on Friday 13th.

Anyway, moving on: from the earlier cited article:
Quote:
The fashion model Eva Herzigová christened the vessel in the summer of 2006, but the champagne bottle did not smash against the hull the first time around. A bad omen for suspicious mariners, it triggered gasps among guests at the ceremony.
The Doomed Costa Concordia: A Maritime Disaster that Was Waiting to Happen - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 00:09   #726
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Anyway, moving on: from the earlier cited article:
The fashion model Eva Herzigová christened the vessel in the summer of 2006, but the champagne bottle did not smash against the hull the first time around. A bad omen for suspicious mariners, it triggered gasps among guests at the ceremony.
The Doomed Costa Concordia: A Maritime Disaster that Was Waiting to Happen - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International
At last the real reason has come out, wasn't really the Skipper's fault after all
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 00:13   #727

The supercosmos doesn't know day or time, being invention of mankind.

Superstition is the result of religy powered by the main churches. Friday 13th doesn' t exist. As any other number or word.
Old 24-01-2012, 00:27   #728

Quote:

Superstition is the result of religy powered by the main churches. Friday 13th doesn' t exist. As any other number or word.
Thanks for that, my last birthday was this Friday the 13th. But just maybe there is something to it, as I joined CC last month and all was OK, then on Friday the 13th, I made my 13 post to that monster thread.

I just noticed the red triangle here, what happens if I click on it for any of my posts? Does it give you a dialoge box to check a box to type something in, or does it just register a complaint automatically against the poster? Inquiring minds want to know SaucySailoress.
Old 24-01-2012, 00:28   #729

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Since the CruiseCritic site is making money selling cruises, no surprises they want to not get TOO critical.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 00:58   #730

What is the interest? Joining a cruise limits my freedom. I can step on my boat and decide what my destination will be. My present boat is small but quite comfortable for a single person.
I wouldn' t know how to kill the time on board of a cruisevessel. Twenty years ago I would chase the girls but I am past that station now.

Some lightyears ago I was appointed to bring a small Russian navy-vessel from A to B. The crew did not allow me to do anything. "You are the commandant" they said. That was sort of a cruise - and I hate inactivity.
Old 24-01-2012, 01:02   #731

I didn't think I was being critical, just stating a known fact about the very low positive stability of a cruise ship even lower than a RORO, and that is by design for passenger comfort and to maximize accommodations.
Old 24-01-2012, 01:14   #732

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I just noticed the red triangle here, what happens if I click on it for any of my posts? Does it give you a dialoge box to check a box to type something in, or does it just register a complaint automatically against the poster? Inquiring minds want to know SaucySailoress.
Reporting a post simply brings it to the mods' attention. It helps us catch stuff which needs moderation. It does not result in any automatic action against the poster. We always make a judgement about whether the reported post is anything requiring action, or not. Sometimes it is not.

Yes, you are asked to write something about why you are reporting the post. You are welcome to experiment with it - it is not like it calls the fire department or anything.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 01:21   #733
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

Thread drift alert!
If the supercosmos knows anything at all, then it would seem likely it would know about mankind's inventions (including time and space).

I suspect superstition existed well before main churches got in on the act.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 01:23   #734

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina
He was, eventually, by another Costa Captain who was traveling aboard. The second captain was supported by all but one crew member and he is the one who sounded the general alarm. Might have been he who sent in the mayday as well, I can't remember off hand.
If this other captain was representing the company, perhaps he was in uniform and was in the dining room when passengers reported seeing the 'captain' dining at the time of the incident????
Old 24-01-2012, 01:26   #735

I just checked it out on my post, needless to say didn't hit "send". Another question, on a forum as large as CC, if the triangle brings up the same as here, is there a setting for automatic response to the offending poster whereas a mod doesn't have to act. The folks over there that were upset with my posts on factual aspects of large ships, I never engaged them in conversations.

Tags
ais, cruise, cruise ship