Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2012, 09:22   #661

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk I
re: Cruise Ship Costa Concordia - MERGED THREADS

Wrong! It puts the news from Italy in context, i.e., this is not an isolated incident but rather attention needs to be paid to safety procedures on cruise ships.
ChannelIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 09:31   #662

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
OK - It would seem that the entire media has forgotten the grounding of this cruise ship in the Caribbean a week earlier: Party cruise ship runs aground in Caribbean | Motor boats and power boats news | ybw

Admittedly, the vessel appears undamaged, although there was significant damage to the reef. Whilst the owners of this ship are probably breathing a huge sigh of relief, I do not understand why the media has not stuck its teeth into this previous accident...

I can see wheels turning already to keep the bad news toned down about any cruise ship incident, or flood the internet with ridiculous, scandalous or misleading rumors.
Unfortunately for the Concordia it hit some very unforgiving rock instead of sand and coaral, and the hull plates were I believe 2" thick.
Silverado6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 09:48   #663
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
yes,I'm still interested too.There had to be separate DieselGens for these if they were electric.Some think the ship had battery banks+electric starting motors for these to start or used the auxiliary power available from an emrg genset.I still like air-started which doesn't need all the complication and is very common (or used to be).To open the solenoid to start these thruster-gensets and control them too, would still need auxiliary power to relay from bridge....or an heroic stoker on a handheld radio going to the bowthruster compartments,which makes a better story...The details of the accident-in-action are like an unfolding detective story ...Somebody was in the wheelhouse coming up with this idea...it's hard to wait for the official inquiry for the detail!

Not necessary to have seperate gensets for thrusters. I have 2 x 1200HP bow thrustes and 2 x 700HP stern thrusters.
All these are driven off two shaft generators on the engine side of the gear boxes
Each shaft geny powers 1 x BT and 1 x ST plus domestics etc
At sea, with main engines running, all our power is off the shaft geny's, diesel genys only used in port.
We have 4 main engines, I can run with anywhere between 1 and 4 engines in use. Engines are arranged in pairs, so we can have either 1 or 2 engines coupled up to a prop shaft (two shafts).
If I'm towing something like a deep water rig, will run with 4 main engines, same for deep water anchor handling, for normal operations, 2 engines will suffice-

I have only been on one ship with a seperate gen set for a bow thruster, and that was a 250,000 tonne tanker which had a bow thruster retrofitted
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 09:48   #664

The MCS Poesia hits dock in Jamaica thursday after it ran aground saturday.
Old 23-01-2012, 09:57   #665

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Not necessary to have seperate gensets for thrusters. I have 2 x 1200HP bow thrustes and 2 x 700HP stern thrusters.
All these are driven off two shaft generators on the engine side of the gear boxes
At sea, with main engines running, all our power is off the shaft geny's, diesel genys only used in port.
We have 4 main engines, I can run with anywhere between 1 and 4 engines in use. Engines are arranged in pairs, so we can have either 1 or 2 engines coupled up to a prop shaft (two shafts).
If I'm towing something like a deep water rig, will run with 4 main engines, same for deep water anchor handling, for normal operations, 2 engines will suffice-

I have only been on one ship with a seperate gen set for a bow thruster, and that was a 250,000 tonne tanker which had a bow thruster retrofitted
Wow, sounds like quite a Beneteau you have there. I'd have thought all that gear would limit performance under sail, quite severely.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 10:02   #666

On the 21st the MCS Poesia was a bit late leaving port, after striking a section of dock and sinking it trying to leave against 32nt winds.

Here is some images of the weldeing repairs.
Old 23-01-2012, 10:07   #667

Just so I won't be pasted as all doom and gloom, this is a pic from the very same boat...the same day, enjoy!
Old 23-01-2012, 10:08   #668
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado6x6 View Post
As a person who has a CDL in Alaska its true, and I cannot eat muffins or bread with poppy seeds as it will give a positive for drugs.
Its actually pretty hard to keep a CDL if you abuse the rules.
At my last drug test the drug lab tech told me they can discern between poppy seeds and someone who actually abuses opiates.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 10:11   #669
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Is that real? The colors are cartoonish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado6x6 View Post

Just so I won't be pasted as all doom and gloom, this is a pic from the very same boat...the same day, enjoy!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 10:15   #670
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Wow, sounds like quite a Beneteau you have there. I'd have thought all that gear would limit performance under sail, quite severely.

Sailing performance is crap, but no problem berthing in a real tight spot
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 10:18   #671

David M take it with a grain of sea salt, it was posted on the same thread in the MSC forum at CruiseCritic, and you know what?

I think it was a company doctored image to keep the followers spellbound.
Old 23-01-2012, 10:21   #672

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
At my last drug test the drug lab tech told me they can discern between poppy seeds and someone who actually abuses opiates.
Maybe its changed, I actually have to head to my local doctor and get my medical card updated, they take my blood pressure, check my eyes for color blindness and of course the urine test.
Old 23-01-2012, 10:28   #673

It's what they call a HDR (High Dynamic Range). The image is comprised of multiple images, each taken with different settings to change the brightness levels in different parts of the image, or a single image is taken and the brightness is adjusted creating multiple images. Then these images are combined and tweeked to get the affect you want. It's a great technique when you have a mixture of light and dark areas. It can be done keeping it look natural or could be overdone for an "artistic" effect
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 10:39   #674

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post

How about your own backyard cruise ship?

Man Builds a Cruise Ship in His Backyard « Yachting Prose

And here is what he did with it, talk about a liveaboard!

francois_zanella_s_boat
Old 23-01-2012, 10:41   #675

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk I

Nigel, I very much enjoy hearing you share your knowledge about how large ships work. Thanks!

I'd like to know more about how you couple and uncouple engines onto a single drive shaft . . . ?
ChannelIslander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, cruise, cruise ship