Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2012, 09:48   #511
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
re: Cruise Ship Costa Concordia - MERGED THREADS

From one of those pictures it is pretty obvious the rock dragged along the hull until it broke off. That rock flooded the ship and not something else.

Somebody should put the rock in front of the closest maritime museum as an exhibit, paint marks included.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 09:49   #512

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
“ A reconstruction based on recorded AIS data”

Nice reconstruction but not very convincing at 0.864 nm (1600m) from Le Scole and not attempting a radical turn, all the bridge must have been watching soccer. Also no data is presented and the source of the data is unidentified.
I do like the disclaimer.

http://news.qps.nl.s3.amazonaws.com/...+Concordia.pdf

Disclaimer, we will not know the EXACT details of what happened until the Voyage Data Recorder (VDR), aka Black Box, is analyzed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	CostaTurn.png
Views:	214
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	36296

still,it( link from StElsewhere's post http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post866154) suits a cruiseship .Passenger ships HATE hard-over turns (at 15 knots from the example) and it's ingrained in the Captains...the crockery!The hot fat in the Galley!The Passengers with broken legs!The lawsuits! This track of increasing helm suits a growing tension between fear and crockery. I imagine the volume of thumping hearts in the dark wheelhouse was increasing too.

added-a sharper turn this close-in might have had the same result with the turn's leeway
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 09:58   #513

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

ROME (AP) 1-21-2012 – The body of a woman wearing a life vest was recovered by Italian coast guard divers Saturday from a narrow underwater corridor of the capsized cruise ship Costa Concordia, raising the death toll to 12 in the week-old accident that has sent some light fuel spilling into the Mediterranean off Tuscany.
Coast Guard Cmdr. Cosimo Nicastro told The Associated Press that the victim was found during a particularly risky inspection of an evacuation staging point at the ship's rear.
"The corridor was very narrow, and the divers' lines risked snagging" on objects in the passageway, Nicastro said. To permit the coast guard divers to get into the area, Italian navy divers had preceded them, setting off charges to blast holes for easier entrance and exit, he said.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 16:05   #514

Boat: Kalik30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Attachment 36296

Passenger ships HATE hard-over turns (at 15 knots from the example) and it's ingrained in the Captains...
but imagine what would be the result of a bit of rudder to portside at this moment, may be with a pull on the starbord engine ?
christian.kautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 16:14   #515

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
“ A reconstruction based on recorded AIS data”......
... but we approach the truth, i guess. My first idea on the 13. was he switched of AIS and tried to use the small passage beween the rocks. Hazarous, but possible. Seems i was wrong. Let's wait for the recordings!
Old 21-01-2012, 16:19   #516
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I don't think we will know anymore until the onboard data recorder that logs the GPS data etc is released to the public by the Italian authorities.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 16:21   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I don't think we will know anymore until the onboard data recorder that logs the GPS data etc is released to the public by the Italian authorities.
i agree 100%
Old 21-01-2012, 16:24   #518

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

Did anyone see the 20/20 report that had a bit on the Concordia? Sadly it was mostly an expose of the industry...but they did cover a little bit of it.

One lady said the Captain was "most definitely" not on the bridge when it happened...he was having dinner, was approached by a cewman and ran off. She was an eye witness.

Now, I know, it's his ultimate responsibility and all...but when it happened was he actually in command on the bridge, or not?
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 16:29   #519

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
Now, I know, it's his ultimate responsibility and all...but when it happened was he actually in command on the bridge, or not?
as a master ure always in command - on the bridge or not. If you dont trust you mate/crew 100% you should not leave the bridge - its easy or not?
Old 21-01-2012, 16:39   #520

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.kautz View Post
as a master ure always in command - on the bridge or not. If you dont trust you mate/crew 100% you should not leave the bridge - its easy or not?
Jeez dude, did I say that?

All I'm asking is if he was on the bridge or not.
Old 21-01-2012, 16:48   #521

..some say YES, with his moldavian girl, some say NO - Let us wait for the investigations! We are only armchair investigators! But all this information looks somekind of strange to me - difficult to get the truth published when a couple of bucks are in the game ;-)
Old 21-01-2012, 16:50   #522

Community Sponsor

Captain is always responsible even if his 1st officer makes the mistake. You see the Captain is responsible to train his 1st officer to properly operate the ship. That is why the captain and the 1st officer both fell and tripped into the same liferaft together. The captain it turns out is a great instructor.

Captain Francesco Schettino said he was at the helm and his company CEO of Costa Cruises said he was at the helm, so who are we to say he was not.
Old 21-01-2012, 17:07   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post

Captain Francesco Schettino said he was at the helm and his company CEO of Costa Cruises said he was at the helm, so who are we to say he was not.
A woman on national TV, ABC's 20/20, who stated he was not and claimed to be an eye witness.

So, "we" are not saying it....she was....
Old 21-01-2012, 17:13   #524

Geraldo Rivera, who has been a sailor for many years, will be covering the Costa Concordia story tonight on Geraldo At Large, FoxNews, 10 pm Eastern time, and it will rerun four hours later. And, it will be repeated again at those times on Sunday.

Here is his somewhat bombastic preview of his opinions of the events:
"Having run aground literally scores of times in dozens of countries over the last half century, I know that mistakes happen at sea. But aside from the old days, before electronic navigation made sailing safely a no brainer, every time I’ve hit bottom since has been because I wasn’t paying attention to where my vessel was at the time; or, importantly, I was in a state of altered consciousness (i.e., drunk or recklessly showboating).

There is simply no excuse for the captain and crew of a modern vessel to smash into a prominent rock that is certainly on the both the electronic and paper charts the Costa Concordia is legally required to have on her bridge. No excuses. No explanations. There are no uncharted rocks of the size that vessel hit in the Mediterranean Sea. Those waters off the coast of Tuscany have been precisely marked for two hundred years at least.

That bum of a captain and his accomplices were recklessly showboating. Worse, they were stupid about it. How dare they drive that gigantic ship around like it was a flashy sports car they wanted to parade for the cute girls on the shore. And after the disaster, worst of all, to leave the stricken ship before all of the passengers are safely ashore is a black mark that stains the ancient and noble seafaring tradition of the Italy. They are cowards and traitors to their country and to the memory of every seafarer who has sacrificed himself to save his passengers and crew. The murderer should have gone down with the ship and passengers he so blithely wrecked."

Posted on Geraldo Rivera's site on Tuesday, January 17th 2012 - 4pm

St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 17:14   #525

Community Sponsor

The key words here.
who stated he was not and claimed to be an eye witness.

Tags
ais, cruise, cruise ship