Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2012, 16:10   #466

re: Cruise Ship Costa Concordia - MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Heres the lloyds track

The captain has stated that he was navigating by sight and knew the depths well. Yet look how he went closer in the recent track to La Scole, thats what clearly happened.

He is in records now as stating he ordered the turn too late, but in fact there was no turn, he passed La Scole in a straight line
In view of post 400 it is interesting to note that both route intersect out of P Ta Del Lazzaretto. Was the course taken on the 13 the result of a late turn into that leg or just to obviate a change of course later? What is clear is, as pointed out by GOB, that the course of the 13 brought the ship closer to Le Scole.
Was the vicinity of Le Scole inadequately surveyed? I do not know if Italy did adopt the ZOC system (Zone Of Confidence ttp://www.hydro.gov.au/factsheets/AHS_Fact_Sheet_Accuracy_And_Reliability_Of_Charts. pdf ) but in view that regularly cruise ships sail close to shore then courses taken by cruise ships should have been adequately surveyed.
It is a “miracle” that the ship did come to rest in its present location. A capsize is a frightful experience and the fatality can exceed 50 %.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 16:13   #467

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

After dark photos of the ship prior to rolling over seem to indicate that she had enough power for certain systems such as lights. It is common to have auxiliary generators and both forward and aft power control stations for redundancy. The Wasa Wärtsilä CT300 bow thrusters have their own power generators near the thruster package itself, so it is independent of and does not rely upon the ship's generating system.
Old 20-01-2012, 16:23   #468

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
10.6Kva bus.
Do you mean 10.6kV or 10.6kA? 10.6kVA is pretty much the size of my wiring on my 38ft boat.
Old 20-01-2012, 16:24   #469

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
After dark photos of the ship prior to rolling over seem to indicate that she had enough power for certain systems such as lights. It is common to have auxiliary generators and both forward and aft power control stations for redundancy. The Wasa Wärtsilä CT300 bow thrusters have their own power generators near the thruster package itself, so it is independent of and does not rely upon the ship's generating system.
I didn't know that, thank you.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 16:30   #470

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The Monday morning quarterbacks always have plenty of time and plenty and retrospect on their side in order to make the best post accident decisions. It just bugs me sometimes when people do this. They weren't there, are not licensed maritime professionals nor were they standing in the captains shoes at that time.

Would it make any sense to judge why an aircraft went down the day after the crash by what the media is telling you? Would it make any sense to try to decide what the pilot should have done to save the plane?
Glad that's out of yr system; now, on with the speculation
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 16:35   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Was the vicinity of Le Scole inadequately surveyed? I do not know if Italy did adopt the ZOC system (Zone Of Confidence ttp://www.hydro.gov.au/factsheets/AHS_Fact_Sheet_Accuracy_And_Reliability_Of_Charts. pdf ) but in view that regularly cruise ships sail close to shore then courses taken by cruise ships should have been adequately surveyed.
Based on the AIS animation presented at post 454, it appears that the Concordia hit the rock right where it appears on the chart. Take a look for yourself: gCaptain’s John Konrad Narrates the Final Maneuvers of the Costa Concordia [VIDEO] | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore

Mariners must provide adequate margin for error, rather than steering so close to hazards. "Error" in this case includes not only steering perilously close to the charted position, and failing to account for drift due to the centrifugal force of the turn.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 16:39   #472

Why do Americans try to put together a class action for the survivors? Perhaps compensation for repatriation. The world has gone mad, it's sick! Never mind the dead lets have a lawsuit. They want initially $165000 each.
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 16:44   #473
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
It may or may not have been on the charts but it is definitely under water at high tide, from the water marks on the rocks in the foreground.

RE: post 243 (?) As enticing as that photo is, that is NOT the rock the ship struck. Quite obviously the rock the ship struck is now in the bottom of the ship. We have been looking at it for a while.

Slightly less obvious is that the rock was some 10 to 15 feet below the water line of the ship, so under water at all times.

And....I don't agree the rock was not on the charts. From some of the previous postings, particularly the AIS animation (#439?), I find it obvious that it was there. The Capt. just started his turn too late, for what ever reason.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 16:48   #474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Yachtsman View Post
That is one primary reason I did not install a chart plotter that could integrate with the autopilot
An autopilot should be supervised at all times no matter what brand it is. It would be sub standard not to do so.
Old 20-01-2012, 16:51   #475

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Captain Francesco Schettino said he new the area around Giglio well, so he new where Le Scole rocks where. He miss judged the turn and admitted to that. (da it’s a big ship)
That is why only the rip along the port stern 160 feet made contact and the forward stabilizer is still seen sticking 12 feet out of the forward port side untouched. He was navigating by dead reckoning (Visual) and not on his ships Nav. equipment. The ships navigation equipment had to be shut of by the captain to take the detour. Had he left the ships equipment on it would have been alarming the whole time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Le Scole rocks.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	36261  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 16:57   #476

Boat: S2 9.2C
Is there anyone out there that holds hope that some of the remaining folks that are missing may be found alive,holding out in some area of the ship that has yet to be reached.....
Or Am I the only one?
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 17:07   #477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Captain
Francesco Schettino
Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
If you look at one of the picture, you will see a long gash before and under the stabiliser, the gash seems to continue under the hull, it looks like there was more that just one rock.
Old 20-01-2012, 17:19   #478

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
Based on the AIS animation presented at post 454
There have been so many AIS, all to suit an explanation. What we need is the track and even a track can leave some holes.
Old 20-01-2012, 17:19   #479

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWind View Post
Is there anyone out there that holds hope that some of the remaining folks that are missing may be found alive,holding out in some area of the ship that has yet to be reached.....
Or Am I the only one?
Sadly, I think you may be alone. I think the Italians have suspended searching for survivors.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 17:22   #480

Boat: S2 9.2C
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic

Sadly, I think you may be alone. I think the Italians have suspended searching for survivors.

I'm holding out for hope,sad as it is......
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, cruise, cruise ship