Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2012, 10:25   #256

re: Cruise Ship Costa Concordia - MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
Seems the hull is starting to crush and break up on the stbd side. Dewatering will be a royal pain in the backside as there are huge windows that are under water. All those balconies with sliding glass doors will have to be sealed.

I'll wager she is scrapped. She may be righted and pulled off but I suspect she will be scrapped.
You might be right about that. One of the photos does show a rocky bottom, and waves have caused some movement of the ship which may cause further damage. Reports posted above were that salavage would be done using air bags, and it will take a lot of them. There definately will be an attempt to remove the wreckage. I hope that they have good luck in doing it.

The photo is here: http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fo...-77456-20.html
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 10:35   #257

Boat: 33ft sloop

I also think in that direction. No way that they can make that ship come off in one piece.
Unless filled up with ping pong balls.
What will be the next design concept?

@ CarlF: The Reuters translation was more or less ok.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 10:55   #258
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Interesting graphic from Spiegel... I had heard that he grounded somewhat South, sailed through deep water, then veered inland to put her on the rocks. I guess the graphic confirms that. Granted the initial grounding was stupidity, but steaming aground in her present location was brilliant.
Old 17-01-2012, 12:46   #259

Fox News says "Francesco Schettino, captain of the stricken cruise ship Concordia, is ordered under house arrest as recordings reveal he fled the ship before all passengers and crew were evacuated — an act one American maritime official called a 'mortal sin.'"
Old 17-01-2012, 13:40   #260

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Interesting graphic from Spiegel... I had heard that he grounded somewhat South, sailed through deep water, then veered inland to put her on the rocks. I guess the graphic confirms that. Granted the initial grounding was stupidity, but steaming aground in her present location was brilliant.
Maybe a turn to port right into the harbour might have been better, or a run up whatever passes for a beach there. But complimenting him for jamming a 290 m ship onto a submarine cliff seems a little generous, given the egregiousness of the original gigantic and unnecessary failure of judgment and seamanship.

It's like saying "good job" to the pilot who runs the jet off the runway into the pillow factory. I will give you that, if accurate, it's a very helpful graphic that shows what options he had after he decided to install a rock garden in his bilges.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 13:49   #261
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

I read something along the way about a bow anchor being used to turn the ship so that the compromised side was *up* when she grounded... Don't know what you all think of that as a tactic.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 13:52   #262

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Actually, it's one of the few things about this mess that makes sense. Maybe they warped around into that cliffside and then busted a fresh hole in the starboard side, and then slid down a bit.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 14:23   #263

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
In these difficult times when most industries and fields of work are facing Red balance sheets, closures, insolvencies, here now - the cruising industry is also added to it.
Very wrong time for this accident and unwanted negative PR.
Many cruise line shares have already dropped.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...245696360.html
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 14:28   #264

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
It's like saying "good job" to the pilot who runs the jet off the runway into the pillow factory. I will give you that, if accurate, it's a very helpful graphic that shows what options he had after he decided to install a rock garden in his bilges.
Do we know that the captain was at the helm during the initial incident? Sure ultimately the captain is responsible, but could be be crew and he just cleaned up the mess best he could?

The part about abandoning ship though is very bad...
Old 17-01-2012, 14:37   #265

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Personally I would have went straight in to the little cove that the locals anchor in and got all the passengers off ASAP instead of the two hours to drop anchor and turn the ship around.
She was pretty upright of a few hours and all the lifeboats would have worked well.
The delay rendered half the ships lifeboat useless.
People died from the delay and holding on to a corridor hall rug at a steep angle for a long time then just slide down into the cold water with exposure.
A relatively flat ship and quick departure would have save all on board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Costa Concordia aground.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	36135  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 14:40   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyotrBee View Post
Do we know that the captain was at the helm during the initial incident? Sure ultimately the captain is responsible, but could be be crew and he just cleaned up the mess best he could?
Previous posts refer to the company management stating that the captain deviated from their prescribed course. The prescribed course would have kept Concordia far from shore.
Old 17-01-2012, 16:01   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I read something along the way about a bow anchor being used to turn the ship so that the compromised side was *up* when she grounded... Don't know what you all think of that as a tactic.
It's good if you are trying to save the boat. no so good to save the people. If you look at the infra-red it and watch how people were streaming off the boat, it means that all of the people trying to get off had to exit the boat to sea, and then swim AROUND the boat to get to the closest land. It also put the people on the highest part of the boat, diving into the shallowest water if they had to jump.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 16:15   #268

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

If I remember correctly, large vessels like this one have their courses programmed into a guidance computer system and the ship is nominally steering itself with a bridge watch to oversee the system, monitor AIS and the radars. If the ship diviates from the programmed course an alarm goes off. The captain and officer of the watch can override the system if need be, such as taking evasive action or adopting a safe course when meeting another ship. Only when entering or leaving a port is the ship usually under direct human control.
Old 17-01-2012, 16:37   #269

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Personally I would have went straight in to the little cove that the locals anchor in and got all the passengers off ASAP instead of the two hours to drop anchor and turn the ship around.
She was pretty upright of a few hours and all the lifeboats would have worked well.
The delay rendered half the ships lifeboat useless.
People died from the delay and holding on to a corridor hall rug at a steep angle for a long time then just slide down into the cold water with exposure.
A relatively flat ship and quick departure would have save all on board.
You've got to love armchair opinions, particularly those who would have done it a whole lot better with 20/20 hindsight. Undoubtedly the ship should not have got any where near "the rock", but once it struck the rock, the texbook solutions cease to work. Maybe he did try to do exactly what you suggest, but the severley disabled ship would not respond to command. I know I'm being stupid here but, I seriously don't think any of us can say that any action we might have taken would have had any better result. I am amazed that the casualties have been so few.
Old 17-01-2012, 16:46   #270
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana

You've got to love armchair opinions, particularly those who would have done it a whole lot better with 20/20 hindsight. Undoubtedly the ship should not have got any where near "the rock", but once it struck the rock, the texbook solutions cease to work. Maybe he did try to do exactly what you suggest, but the severley disabled ship would not respond to command. I know, I'm being stupid but I seriously don't think any of us can say that any action we might have taken would have had any better result. I am amazed that the casualties have been so few.
Other them temporarily loosing power the ship did not loose propulsion. In fact it wasn't grounded outside the port. It hit rocks, the sea ward ledge of la scole south of the port. It then anchored outside the port during the night the list developed and eventually got worse.

There are a few time line issues.

( a) it's about 15 minutes steaming from la scole to the port. Yet the ship only declared a mayday 1hour later.

(b) did it sit at anchor for upwards of an hour with nothing happening. , it would seem so.

(c) it didn't ground in the port approaches. If it did it would not have been able to reverse direction.

(d). The turning of the ship, which seemed to have been performed quickly. Caused the list to transfer from the port side to the starboard. Since the lifeboat lowering was already in operation it had to be transferred to the other side as the list developed.

In summary just simply anchoring outside the port and immediately declaring a mayday and getting people off would have been better

Still 4200 in approx 2-3hours ain't bad. Wasn't as much chaos as reported, I'd say.

Dave

Tags
ais, cruise, cruise ship