Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2012, 06:24   #121

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
re: Cruise Ship Costa Concordia - MERGED THREADS

Actually thats taken from sailors... "There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are not old bold sailors".
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 06:47   #122

Acting as armchair investigator for a moment....

I'd first guess it that this is a text book case of plotting a course between two waypoints without checking for intervening hazards. The course they were on is a straight line to a point just outside Port Giglio, right where one would place an approach waypoint - except for the huge intervening outcropping/peninsula. I'd guess someone set the course/route by connecting the dots between waypoints, then wasn't paying attention until they found themselves on top of the outcropping. The last turn indicates an attempt to run through the narrow passage, but obviously they didn't make it.

The other possibility that occurs to me is that there was a little (pun intended) dick-size contest going on, and someone claimed they could run the ship through that narrow passage. Remember what the Rednecks last words were? "Here, hold my beer".
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 06:53   #123

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
"Here, hold my beer".

Ha... I thought it was "watch this..." but point well taken
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 06:59   #124
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Acting as armchair investigator for a moment....

I'd first guess it that this is a text book case of plotting a course between two waypoints without checking for intervening hazards. The course they were on is a straight line to a point just outside Port Giglio, right where one would place an approach waypoint - except for the huge intervening outcropping/peninsula. I'd guess someone set the course/route by connecting the dots between waypoints, then wasn't paying attention until they found themselves on top of the outcropping. The last turn indicates an attempt to run through the narrow passage, but obviously they didn't make it.

The other possibility that occurs to me is that there was a little (pun intended) dick-size contest going on, and someone claimed they could run the ship through that narrow passage. Remember what the Rednecks last words were? "Here, hold my beer".

or looking at any of the 3 radars on the bridge
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 07:08   #125

Boat: Beneteau 34'
I haven't kept up on all the replies to this thread. But are you 100% certain where the hit occurred?

I understand it ground and the captain set immediate course to get close to land/port to avoid a total sinking. Was the path between the rocks the fastest approach?

Just double checking.
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 07:22   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailagain View Post
I haven't kept up on all the replies to this thread. But are you 100% certain where the hit occurred?

I understand it ground and the captain set immediate course to get close to land/port to avoid a total sinking. Was the path between the rocks the fastest approach?

Just double checking.
A 38m wide boat in a 37m wide passage? Not unless they were trying to beach it there... or didnt know how wide it was and were desperate...
Old 15-01-2012, 07:23   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
Ha... I thought it was "watch this..." but point well taken
Crew was Italian.. no beer.. but maybe "Here hold my wine"...
Old 15-01-2012, 07:27   #128

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyotrBee

A 38m wide boat in a 37m wide passage? Not unless they were trying to beach it there... or didnt know how wide it was and were desperate...
From what I am seeing on the news reports - loud bang & power went out

Someone are saying all the bridge electronics were out too??

Is the small passage directly on the route to the port?

It will certainly be interesting to see what develops as we get all the details over the next few weeks

As many have said - this situation seems like something that would never happen
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 07:40   #129
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailagain View Post
Nope.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/def...209:02:00%20PM

Costa Concordia sank near Italy (AIS data replay video) | Cruise Articles

Looks like there's a gap in ais positions between 20.37 and 20.53.

And why the turn to port at 20.22?

We know nothing
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 08:02   #130

Exclamation AIS data of Costa Concordia accident

Very interesting AIS video replay of Costa Concordia accident - it shows the movement of Costa Concordia and all other ships in the area, before accident and after the distress call.
kp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:18   #131

From BBC:
"Two more bodies are found on the capsized Costa Concordia cruise ship, which ran aground off Italy, bringing the known number of dead to five."
Old 15-01-2012, 09:20   #132

Boat: 33ft sloop

So far one more found alive and liberated from locked up position after that two drowned persons were found in the aft of the ship. They were trapped and could not escape.

Tak Salvage arrived with gear in order to empty the hold tanks of Concordia.
About 15 pax and crew still missing. Total dead now 5.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:24   #133

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
All I know for certain, that having worked as skipper on Smit Tak salvage tugs, the tugs crew will see little, if any at all, of the salvage award
Is that because the Open Form is now so little used, or because incorporated salvors exclude crew from what used to be the customary shares?

I am fascinated in a small way by salvage law. I find it's amazing after so many centuries, a lot of people still find salvors "vulture-like" and "opportunistic". Salvors provide a useful, necessary and hazardous service, and frankly, having 950 feet of dead condoliner outside one's home port, leaking oil, glycol and rotting food, is something I'd be willing to pay a lot not to see or smell for very long. Not that the townsfolk will pay...the cruise line will pay.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:30   #134

I have been watching this event unfold on the news, truly weird, to have so many different language passengers, you would think on a special area cruise they would have some form of public address or video screens that show a short video of emergency instructions, much like at a major theme park like Disneyworld.

Now that most of the thread has gone this far and yes they are even at this minute still finding people that were trapped on board what is anyones guess on the re-float?

I know up in my neck of the woods here in Alaska there was a cargo ship full of new cars that had a cargo shift, layed over nearly on its side, they did right it eventually and last I heard something like 3,000 new Hondas or something were totally wrote off and sat in some major salvage yard in the Pacific Northwest, maybe it was Portland.

That massive boulder does create a problem, drill and blast it first or get some anchor bolts and chains with a winch and pull it out? I am pretty interested in how they would right a vessel of this size, in the history books when the raised the Normandy they had pumped concrete into areas that were open below the water line and eventually pumped it out.
Silverado6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:46   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Is that because the Open Form is now so little used, or because incorporated salvors exclude crew from what used to be the customary shares?

I am fascinated in a small way by salvage law. I find it's amazing after so many centuries, a lot of people still find salvors "vulture-like" and "opportunistic". Salvors provide a useful, necessary and hazardous service, and frankly, having 950 feet of dead condoliner outside one's home port, leaking oil, glycol and rotting food, is something I'd be willing to pay a lot not to see or smell for very long. Not that the townsfolk will pay...the cruise line will pay.
Thats about right.
For a normal cargo/merchant vessel which made a successful salvage based on LOF, the ships crew are entitled to 50% of the award.
When I worked salvage the award to the vessel, if, and only if the salavge was LOF, the award to the salavge vessel crew was 7% of the award, and from that was deducted any damages to the salavge tug.
I lost out quite a bit in with a salavage on to a burning tanker in the Malacca Straits, burnt off a fair bit bit of topside paint, and a few of the bridge windows cracked, all that was deducted from our award.
This was a contactural employment clause.
Now with modern communications, most vessels in need of salvage can contact their owners directly, and then negociations start.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, cruise, cruise ship