Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 09:51   #46

Boat: 1986 Endeavour 42
Re: Courtesy Flags

When we were on a cruise in Turkey they would not clear the ship into port because they felt the courtesy flag the ship was flying was not large enough.
SV Bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:01   #47

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianaofburlingt View Post
Mark, do you ever encounter a problem with not having the courtesy flag on-hand when it's time to strike the Q flag?
No.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:12   #48

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We just recently completed the Sail Indonesia Rally and prior to our departure from Darwin, we were advised by the rally organizers that some places in Indonesia required the courtesy flag to be larger than the boat's country flag. We have always flown the same size courtesy flag as our country flag and both flags are hoisted to the same elevation. Regardless, there were participants in the rally who flew no courtesy flag and no one reported any challenge, confrontations or even comments about their lapse.

I have found pretty good prices on very durable flags on amazon.com

When we were in Pago Pago, we once heard on the VHF radio the Port Captain deny a freighter entry into the port because they weren't flying an American Samoa courtesy flag. We felt that was harsh - after all, it is just a 'courtesy'.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:01   #49

Boat: Columbia 41

I would keep an old white bed sheet stashed away. Then draw the needed flag in magic marker. This can't be that hard to do.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:51   #50

Boat: Rhodes 45'

If I see a pirate flag I am thinking delusional doper or too immature to be on the water. Flags are a serious matter and confiscation a way of gathering revenue so if you want a laugh think of it as the last laugh on YOU….
Fitsthebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:05   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitsthebill View Post
If I see a pirate flag I am thinking delusional doper or too immature to be on the water. Flags are a serious matter and confiscation a way of gathering revenue so if you want a laugh think of it as the last laugh on YOU….

You take flags to seriously.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 13:56   #52

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Courtesy flag is a bit of a misnomer, it's the law.
Most countries are quite serious about proper display of flags, including the USA. I don't think I'd try to tell the authorities in a foreign country that I didn't think they were serious.
Old 01-01-2014, 14:07   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Courtesy Flags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Seems you take respect and good manners to lightly..
And if I may add.. if your a Yanqi... there's flags in every other yard there... or is it just others flags are a joke

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 14:14   #54

Quote:
Isn't that supposed to be "too?"
Just kidding LOL.
Let me get this straight, you don't think I take pirates, or the pirate flag seriously?
I may also have a problem with taking witches, vampires or flying saucers seriously.
I stress about how my flag appears but thats because other boats might interpreted me. As this conversation proves, a flag can be interpreted many ways. I've never been accused of not being silly enough.
Old 01-01-2014, 14:38   #55
cruiser

I don't think modern pirates fly the Jolly Roger, it's mainly sport fishers. I highly doubt that anyone flying it will be mistakenly assumed to be a real pirate about to attack your vessel. But I don't see how that makes anyone immature or a doper. I personally wouldn't fly the Jolly Roger, not because I don't like it, I do. But it's super trendy in recreational boating and I try not to follow the masses.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 15:02   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
I don't think modern pirates fly the Jolly Roger, it's mainly sport fishers.

At least around here, it's the "booze cruise" crowd, of any type of boat, usually goes along with the loud obnoxious Jimmy Buffet music they are playing.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 15:12   #57
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

At least around here, it's the "booze cruise" crowd, of any type of boat, usually goes along with the loud obnoxious Jimmy Buffet music they are playing.
Is there any other form of jimmy buffet music lol

Dave
Old 01-01-2014, 15:42   #58

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Courtesy flag is a bit of a misnomer, it's the law.
Most countries are quite serious about proper display of flags, including the USA. I don't think I'd try to tell the authorities in a foreign country that I didn't think they were serious.
I've read in books that there is no legal requirement in the U.S. for courtesy flags, a quick internet search so far hasn't found a requirement. Do you have specifics as to which states or countries require courtesy flags?

I could see that local officials could harass you without having the law to back them up though.

It's not required in Canada, from:
Rules for Flying the Flag - Anthems and Symbols - Canadian Identity
Foreign vessels may fly the Canadian flag as a "courtesy flag" when they are berthed in a Canadian port. The flag then is customarily flown from the foremast.

RYA doesn't think it's a law, from:
Courtesy Flag | Boating Abroad | Information & Advice | RYA

It is customary, but not obligatory, when visiting the waters of another country,
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 15:50   #59
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Courtesy Flags

Just remember.. the Port Captain is god.. and so are the Marine Police.. especially the ones with 'attitude'..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 21:48   #60

I've seen plenty of scoff laws, drunks and pot heads. Seen em high, seen em passed out and seen 'em dead. It isn't my serious attitude, it's just common sense that bothers me now. This new breed likes to argue the loosing end cause they are so unhappy with what is.
Pot heads argue alcoholics don't care -and they're correct in a lot of cases but thats no logic to then get high on something else. Just because people get away with being drunk or stoned at the helm is no argument that the margins favoring a safe passage has been effected.
Like a pirate the logic is flawed because ultimately the scoff law wants the outcome that allows him what he wants. In private, take whatever drugs you like and as much and for as long as you like but being on the helm with a hang-over is a rip off of everyone else if you ask me.
Just recently in Charleston Oregon skipper was always drinking drove his vessel right into the break coming in. In perfect conditions mind you. He and the crew managed to escape leaving his wife below who perished.
Astoria, which has perhaps the most dangerous bar I've ever crossed there were many skippers who drank all the time. They hired young boys who knew nothing of the dangers.

The fact is, manning ocean going (fishing) vessels is the single most dangerous job there is. Policemen rank way down on there at 10th. Anyone think a cop should go to and be at work drinking?
A scoff law pirate might respond with an affirmative and even laugh in your face. Many times I heard first hand how skippers passed out and left anyone aboard to bring his vessel in. Sometimes that was crew member, other times a kid totally incompetent.

Many people die out at sea. There is no record of how it happened. Lots of people who drink, smoke dope or suffer absent minded hang-overs haven't sank a vessel too, yet. For some idiots, that's proof enough nothing happens.
Well let me inform you who think sobriety is just for the serious. You may be killed by another stoner on another vessel or one of your own crew.
Yes even you Jimmy Buffet fans who romanticize drinking by whining in your tequila while thinking yourselves a real salt.
The fact is anyone found to have drown from any vessel and found to have alcohol or drugs, legal or illicit, it will point the finger strait at the captain. He or she alone is responsible for what occurs on their vessel.
An autopsy, (if performed) is all the proof needed, who brought it is not a defense. Criminal and or civil courts and their respective attorneys love cases involving a wrongful death while drinking or whatever on a boat supervised by an owner or the captain (who is acting as agent on their behalf).
As owner you have all the exposure needed to maybe loose vessel, money and yes lock you up. There's even precedence in law that alcohol confuses a swimmer into thinking they are swimming up when in fact they are actually swimming down.

Divorces, suicides, murder and more, often are rooted in drinking. The prisons are filled with those who regret drinking that one time… Women have been raped, children abused, fights broke out and people drown by mistake. They likely had a little pirate voice in their head telling them, "people who don't drink are uptight and too serious."

As if there's not already a bundle to worry about, now you need wonder if the other pilot is not intoxicated or spaced out. There is a bond of trust between skippers to be a 100% at the wheel. That is to say, they are on their honor to be self disciplined enough to avoid impairing their judgement.
There's nothing to laugh about when a person is so cowardly they sneak a drink or smoke a joint at the wheel. Nothing more boring than a guy so drunk he repeats over and over how sorry he is he just killed a relative of yours.
If a stoner or drunk is so bored he needs a hit to be funny or happy maybe I do prefer a serious sort to share the water with.
May be the pirate flag is exactly what should fly over a semi conscience vessel since it's skipper is like a pirate who sneaks off the table a portion of the 100% it takes to navigate in an environment that nature never meant for us to transit.
Personally, "I can't trust or laugh with a person I can't think with..." Is this serious enough for you son?

Tags
flags