Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2015, 14:56   #16

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Could Not Weigh Anchor Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Frankly I think single handing with chain and no windlass is not very prudent.
I understand where you are coming from here. There are many added challenges for single handers.

In everything I do aboard, I consider the safety of other boaters and their boats.

I take my time when planning to make way. Especially so if others are around. I'm reasonably sure where the boat will go when the anchor clears the bottom. And I can invision scenarios where I would choose to stay put. Thankfully I don't believe the world revolves around me.
Old 09-03-2015, 15:05   #17

four winds... thank you for this sentiment. I too singlehand and have been for 30 yrs now. When I took off to live aboard I replaced the manual windlass and installed the electric windlass. It was expensive... but I knew I would be on the hook every night for a few years when not on passage.

I got all chain and I've developed some excellent anchoring techniques. But I would never attempt to deal with chain without an electric windlass.
My windlass is one of the most precious pieces of gear to me along with the AP... my crew!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 15:09   #18

Boatman61, I'm too old to ever reach your level of experience even though I plan to live the rest of my life on this boat. I'm just happy to be able to sail to and from a dock when my boat breaks it's engine.

The time before last when it broke I didn't fix it for a couple of weeks because I was having too much fun without it.

However I will practice what you say soon. That's just too cool not to try and master

Sure would like to crew on a delivery with you some time.
Old 09-03-2015, 15:17   #19

You're welcome Sandero. It's really about expenses I guess. I may have a windlass one day.

The only things I spend money on are food and my boat. Obvious when one sees my clothes.
Old 09-03-2015, 17:03   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post

Frankly I think single handing with chain and no windlass is not very prudent.

Except there are those of us who do it regularly, and a chain/rope rode under load isn't much different than all chain. The TECHNIQUES almost have to be the same.

I agree with boatman61, and have also sailed out of an anchorage a few times. His description is very good, with or without an engine.

The idea is to sail UP to and over your anchor, and as I said earlier, sometimes "beside" it. Anchor north, you sail up west or east of it, and a tad NW or NE, then take in the slack. Might require more than one trip to the bow.

It can be very prudent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
I understand where you are coming from here. There are many added challenges for single handers.

In everything I do aboard, I consider the safety of other boaters and their boats.

I take my time when planning to make way. Especially so if others are around. I'm reasonably sure where the boat will go when the anchor clears the bottom. And I can invision scenarios where I would choose to stay put. Thankfully I don't believe the world revolves around me.
A superb description of being careful for yourself and those around you. Thanks for doing it so nicely.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 19:04   #21

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

When various brute force attempts have failed, it's time to suspect an anchor is not just buried deeply, but may be snagged on something.

In that case, try letting out more rode again (say 3:1) and motor around the anchor in a 180 degree arc. The aim is to keep a enough tension on to twist the shank around sideways, so it swivels and unhooks from whatever is down there.

Just don't put too much force on it sideways as you are likely to bend the shank if it is still snagged.

Maybe there is a rock or half buried log and the chain has wrapped around it. In that case, travelling in a circle around it may work (but with a 50/50 chance you are going the wrong way).
Old 09-03-2015, 19:34   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Wow - Finally a great "un-anchoring" thread.

I had never considered Boatman's method. Very cool.

I am only 53 and cringe at hand hauling any anchor much less chain. You old farts are manly men with my full respect...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 19:52   #23

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

With a chain/rode mix, if singlehanded and windy, I set the engine throttle at just enough for slacking the rode, and set the auto pilot.
Pulling the hook is kinda like taking it up with almost no wind.
As soon as the hook is up, I quickly get back to the helm.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 20:09   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I use the autopilot to power the boat up the anchor rode. Put it in gear at idle and aim the boat as close to the location as I can. The boat will slowly move in the direction of the anchor letting me take up on the anchor chain without strain on the rode. Sometimes have to adjust the heading but that's no big deal to do. Have a windlass which makes retrieval of the all chain rode relatively easy though don't use it to pull the boat to the anchor.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 20:13   #25
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Yes it can be done as others have posted but the point is that a windlass increases safety for full timers and even more when single handing. IMHO it is worth saving for a windlass even when giving up on other things to get there. A 2nd hand manual windlass can be had for very little money.

Edit: I sailed a 30- footer without windlass for 17 years and looking back at it, and the money spent on it, it took me rather long to learn the value of a windlass
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 20:23   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I use the autopilot to power the boat up the anchor rode. Put it in gear at idle and aim the boat as close to the location as I can. The boat will slowly move in the direction of the anchor letting me take up on the anchor chain without strain on the rode. Sometimes have to adjust the heading but that's no big deal to do. Have a windlass which makes retrieval of the all chain rode relatively easy though don't use it to pull the boat to the anchor.
Peter, I admire your contributions to this forum. I think the OP and we have been discussing when the wind pipes up, hard. Different techniques needed then.

I've tried the ap trick and it doesn't work for me. Slow bell doesn't work in 18+ knots.

Jedi is right, but not all of us, who want to and do anchor out, can afford windless-s.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 21:08   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Peter, I admire your contributions to this forum. I think the OP and we have been discussing when the wind pipes up, hard. Different techniques needed then.

I've tried the ap trick and it doesn't work for me. Slow bell doesn't work in 18+ knots.

Jedi is right, but not all of us, who want to and do anchor out, can afford windless-s.
In those situations Stu- maybe time to enjoy your surroundings.
There is a reason for getting up at the crack of dawn, pulling anchor and getting to the next destination before the afternoon wind picks up. Although I have pulled anchor in a similar situation, it was because a hurricane was coming, and I figured I wanted to die in a marina, not anchored outside a deserted island. (Cougar Key, Florida)
Actually, my poor anchoring technique is useful here. When the when picks up and I want to leave, I'm almost always dragging anyway.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 21:15   #28

This is such an interesting thread. I am always worried driving over the anchor that it might catch in the prop - maybe I am paranoid for nothing. I will try it next time I single hand. So far with the admiral at the helm it works out ok - I do the calling out direction and she keeps it aimed at the the anchor in slow speed. Single handing I will try what you suggested.

I have a question for Stu and for the OP - do you find the size anchor you have is adequate? I am on an Ericsson 32-2 which is lighter than the boats you guys have, and I have a rocna 22 lb - I think it's somewhat small in size but as I saw Stu is located in San Fran that means high winds - do you ever drag? From the posts it seems the opposite is true - please forgive me - I don't mean to make this thread creep into anchor anchor war - I have owned both Mason and Rocna and like them both. I have been in touch with Peter Smith who reckoned for my use the Rocna 10 is good, but for longer term cruising i might try the 33 lb version. Problem is that the added weight will make anchoring without a windlass impossible. I find Four Winds's predicament the maximum I can handle - Actually my 22 lb with 30 feet of 1/4 inch chain is just about as much as i can lift with my back, and I am not even 50.... So if I ever go to the 33 lb it would mean a windlass which can complicate everything... My thought is to instead get a light fortress oversized for the storm anchor, and keep using the roan for day to day... I figure storms usually don't change directions for the high winds duration. The good thing about rocna/mason is they reset in reversing tide and wind situations, but i figure in a real storm one does not sleep much anyway.
Schrewsburyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 21:19   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrewsburyduo View Post
This is such an interesting thread. I am always worried driving over the anchor that it might catch in the prop - maybe I am paranoid for nothing.
Don't forget the prop but don't forget the keel. Wrapping the rode around a keel (especially bulb) is not fun. Nightmarish in 18 knots I suspect.

Stay paranoid. You'll get in less trouble that way.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 21:23   #30

Yep. Time to sleep now, and get up to do the eight hour run I planned for today before I changed my mind to the failed short hop.

I have learned from this failure so there is a positive side to it. I consider safety the top priority and will be on the lookout for a manual windlass going forward. Thankfully being safe and having fun aren't mutually exclusive.

Many thanks for the great feedback in this thread.

Tags
anchor