Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2018, 08:28   #1

Corbin 39 Singlehanding

Hi there,

I was hoping that there were some Corbin 39 owners or people that have sailed on one that could tell me about their experiences and give me their opinions on regularly singlehanding a Corbin 39... the Good, Bad and Ugly.

I do have experience in singlehand docking and handling a 35 foot boat that had a lot of windage and pulled crazy random maneuvers in the wind and currents.

I am looking at possibly buying a Corbin 39. If I did, I would rig it with lines to the cockpit, roller furling genoa, lazy jack type system for dropping the main, autopilot, windvane steering system and maybe a bow thruster. I have read about the weather helm issues on some. But if that was fixed, would it be a good sailboat to singlehand or still just a giant pain in the butt to deal with?

Thanks!
bigsky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 08:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Corbin 39 Singlehanding

My opinion, any sailboat can be singlehanded. The issue is more how the boat and rigging are set up than the make or model.

For me the main limiting factor for singlehanding is how big a sail can I lift meaning, if I have to remove the main or bend it to the mast by myself can I lift it on deck, lift it high enough to get the slides in the track. I decided that this works out to mid forties length max. Anything else can be easily managed or changed with winches, blocks, etc.

For reference, in 1976Alain Colas raced in the OSTAR, a singlehanded trans-Atlantic on the 236' Club Mediterranee.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 08:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
My opinion, any sailboat can be singlehanded. The issue is more how the boat and rigging are set up than the make or model.

For me the main limiting factor for singlehanding is how big a sail can I lift meaning, if I have to remove the main or bend it to the mast by myself can I lift it on deck, lift it high enough to get the slides in the track. I decided that this works out to mid forties length max. Anything else can be easily managed or changed with winches, blocks, etc.

For reference, in 1976Alain Colas raced in the OSTAR, a singlehanded trans-Atlantic on the 236' Club Mediterranee.
Thank you Skipmac
Old 19-09-2018, 09:11   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Corbin 39 Singlehanding

No sweat with that one.. just do everything 10mins before you need to.. from fenders and lines to reefing.
That way you can take your time and get it right first time.. once you work out your routines and her quirks.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 09:36   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

By the way I have a couple of times single-handed my 42 ft Pearson. No special setup or re-rigging, just the way it came from the factory.

Assuming the running rigging is properly set up I think the most important thing for single-handing any vessel is a really good reliable way for the boat to self steer while you're working the sails rigging or whatever.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 17:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
No sweat with that one.. just do everything 10mins before you need to.. from fenders and lines to reefing.
That way you can take your time and get it right first time.. once you work out your routines and her quirks.
Thanks boatman61. How much experience do you have with Corbin 39s? Any other thoughts on them?
Old 19-09-2018, 17:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
By the way I have a couple of times single-handed my 42 ft Pearson. No special setup or re-rigging, just the way it came from the factory.

Assuming the running rigging is properly set up I think the most important thing for single-handing any vessel is a really good reliable way for the boat to self steer while you're working the sails rigging or whatever.
Thanks Skipmac. I plan on a good autopilot (and possibly a backup) to help with that.
I was considering a Pearson 365 pilothouse. Nice boat. It just didn't have a lot storage space for a liveaboard/long trips.
Old 19-09-2018, 18:09   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I single handed Roxy, 40 tons, 58 feet on a short hop from Jolly Harbor to Falmouth Harbor last season. Busy busy! Wouldn’t want to make a habit of it
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 18:53   #9

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

I own a Corbin 39 Pilothouse Cutter. Not any problem single handing. Mine is an ‘83 with the headstay on the anchor platform - no issues with weather helm. Sails great even in light air and easy to balance.
A great comfortable boat for us with extended cruising plans in very near future.
Old 19-09-2018, 19:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenega View Post
I own a Corbin 39 Pilothouse Cutter. Not any problem single handing. Mine is an ‘83 with the headstay on the anchor platform - no issues with weather helm. Sails great even in light air and easy to balance.
A great comfortable boat for us with extended cruising plans in very near future.
Thanks Chenega. From what I have read, they seem to be a sturdy, mellow and fairly forgiving sailing platform. I am looking for safety and comfort. Anything else you like dislike about them?
Old 19-09-2018, 19:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky13 View Post
Thanks Chenega. From what I have read, they seem to be a sturdy, mellow and fairly forgiving sailing platform. I am looking for safety and comfort. Anything else you like dislike about them?

We love the comfort of the cockpit and the amount of available storage. The boat is well planned out and finished (factory built boat).
I have a Westerbeke w58 with excellent access all around the engine (v-drive). Carries 100gallons of fuel and 120gallons of water.
The staysail is on a boom hanked on and will be adding roller furling to it. Head sail is roller furl.
We have 300w solar more than enough to run refrigeration and lights. I hope to replace and re-wire panel.
We love the boat!
Old 19-09-2018, 22:56   #12

Nice! I am glad to hear it. Thank you
Old 03-05-2019, 09:30   #13

Chenega, do you have the version with the inside steering station? if so could you comment on how good the visibility is from there?. Thanks
Arcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 15:21   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
Chenega, do you have the version with the inside steering station? if so could you comment on how good the visibility is from there?. Thanks

I do have the lower steering station.
I wouldn’t use the lower helm in close quarters, but it is nice in foul weather or at night making passages. I use chart plotter, radar and AIS when doing so - I back that up with a look every 15 minutes or so at upper helm.
I love my nav station and lower helm... keeps me in touch with crew
Old 28-06-2019, 02:55   #15

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

I have single handed my Corbin center cockpit extensively for many years Up and down the Eastern Caribbean and across Pacific. Plan ahead but the boat is stable. I have lost the autopilot in the past and never realized it because with the sails trimmed right she maintains set course on the wind. I have hove to in Pacific storms and slept while they passed. Downwind with a Pacific plus wind vane and following sea 30 knots wind was like on railroad tracks,

Tags
single, singlehanding