Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-03-2015, 06:56   #61

Boat: 42' Sportfish
Re: Communicating On Deck From Bow To Stern

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I did that too until we moved to an area where floating docks with cleats and no piles are the norm.
Yep, that's sometimes more difficult. Assuming conditions permit, crew can usually get lines on cleats from the cockpit, though, and then carry those to the bow as I move the boat further back into the slip or along the dock.

-Chris

Old 10-03-2015, 07:08   #62
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Yep, that's sometimes more difficult. Assuming conditions permit, crew can usually get lines on cleats from the cockpit, though, and then carry those to the bow as I move the boat further back into the slip or along the dock.

-Chris
My crew is my wife and she hasn't been able to master that technique. In all fairness, even though our boat is relatively small, the deck is too high above the dock cleats.

Assuming a face dock or slip with finger piers, I have to get the stern up against the dock so she can step off with a stern line and cleat it. Then I toss her a bow line from the flybridge and she cleats that. Then I get off and tie it how I want it.

In my experience, the majority of transient marinas will send one or more dockhands to catch the lines without me having to request it.

Old 16-11-2016, 03:17   #63

Boat: Jeanneau 45.2

Has anybody tried these looking at a pair ?"My Team Talks" Bluetooth Headsets - Cruising Solutions
Old 23-01-2017, 11:09   #64

Boat: Moody 49

Now the Marriage savers are not available,

(PM me if you have any for sale)

What about the Team Talks? Opinion on functionality please - no more about how good hand signals are! This may mean that if you have not used them - Team Talks that is, you will not be able to reply!

Is there any other VOX duplex intercom headset out there?

and yes .... I really do know that hand signals can be very effective.
Old 23-01-2017, 11:30   #65

Hand signals most of the time. How much is there to discuss really? Once you've docked enough times, it's pretty much the same. You're either docking side-tied, or you're stern in, or your bow in (We never dock bow in).

We discuss the wind direction, the side of the dock we're on. We have a pre-arranged 'plan' for each. (e.g. wind blowing you out of the slip, wind blowing you into the slip. Wind blowing sideways across the slip, etc).

Example: Side-tied, wind blowing you off of the dock. We agree on whether we are going to Port-side tie or Stbd. There's not much more to discuss. She knows she is going to take a line forward, tie to the a midship cleat on the side we're tying. she knows we're going to nose the bow in and loop the line around a piling (or cleat) and that we're going to spring the boat up to the dock. Getting her up on the bow, THEN discussing the process is about 3 days too late for that conversation. We've practiced it. We've done it hundreds of times before. Not much left to discuss.
Old 23-01-2017, 11:35   #66

Boat: Moody 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Hand signals most of the time. How much is there to discuss really? Once you've docked enough times, it's pretty much the same. You're either docking side-tied, or you're stern in, or your bow in (We never dock bow in).

We discuss the wind direction, the side of the dock we're on. We have a pre-arranged 'plan' for each. (e.g. wind blowing you out of the slip, wind blowing you into the slip. Wind blowing sideways across the slip, etc).

Example: Side-tied, wind blowing you off of the dock. We agree on whether we are going to Port-side tie or Stbd. There's not much more to discuss. She knows she is going to take a line forward, tie to the a midship cleat on the side we're tying. she knows we're going to nose the bow in and loop the line around a piling (or cleat) and that we're going to spring the boat up to the dock. Getting her up on the bow, THEN discussing the process is about 3 days too late for that conversation. We've practiced it. We've done it hundreds of times before. Not much left to discuss.
Shrew . ... really grateful for the response. How do you find the functionality of the headsets? Cannot see that bit!
Old 23-01-2017, 17:29   #67
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

We use a fiberoptic earpiece that plugs into our small ICOM radios.

Used mostly in hi noise environments like engine rooms, your voice is clearly transmitted to the 2 way microphone/speaker in your ear via your jawbone and can be VOX or PTT
Probably find it here:
http://www.planetheadset.com/icom-radio-accessories.php

I find it very useful in hi wind conditions or when you want your partner to quietly position a helpful guest in a safer place without anyone realizing your speaking to each other when coming in to dock.
Old 23-01-2017, 18:47   #68

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Interesting, we organize our guests like our lines. Seriously, just ask them to go out of the way, indicating where that it, so that we can get on with it. We use children's walkie-talkies from Toys R Us, about 20 yrs. old now. Not good for rain, but okay when it's windy. Ours use 9v. batteries, we probably have lots more $$ in batteries than the "inter-galactic communicators."

Oh, yes, we have hand signals, they work well, as long as the deck light is on, I can see them well. Not so easy with just a headlamp.

Ann
Old 23-01-2017, 21:28   #69

We use hand signals for normal anchoring but for picking up a mooring we find hand signals are too limited.

We've been using a pair of these for the last several years and find them vastly superior to the marriage saver.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Designed for motorcycle riders, it seems like you are speaking in a quiet room. No protruding antennas to catch on sheets.

A bit pricey but they greatly reduce the stress and number of "go arounds" on mooring pickups.
Old 23-01-2017, 21:38   #70

Boat: Passport 42
Send a message via AIM to CelestialMelody

We use "My Team Talks” Bluetooth Headsets on our Passport 42 and have been very happy with them. They hold a charge a long time and have no radio type interference. the only downsides is that they are a little pricey, but allow anchoring and communication using a normal quiet voice level even in a fair wind
Old 24-01-2017, 02:48   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Interesting, we organize our guests like our lines. Seriously, just ask them to go out of the way, indicating where that it, so that we can get on with it. ......................
We often have well-meaning guests that like to have a role in helping. We usually assign them a task with a dock line that is not essential,- tossing a line to the dock or a loop on a piling that is to leeward; laying out the shore power cord on the deck opposite the dock; or putting on the sail covers over the booms.
Old 26-01-2017, 02:13   #72

apart from the plan to use motorcycle headsets "the next time" (I expect them to be very useful, particularly when conning through coral from the spreaders, but also when upanchoring in stronger winds or when at the masthead slaving away) I can contribute an anecdote:
Papeete Tahiti, in front of Temple Paofai, 44' US sloop backing into an empty spot, fresh winds at 90° app., lady at the windlass, , huge brute of a skipper with hands as big as telefonebooks at the helm, yelling coarsely at the lady...
"typical american farmer" we think...
later got to know the after-all-not-so-cloddish bloke, turns out he's a neurosurgeon...
first impressions...(& a headset would have served them well in that difficult situation...)
Old 20-02-2017, 12:37   #73

Boat: Oyster 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
apart from the plan to use motorcycle headsets "the next time" (I expect them to be very useful, particularly when conning through coral from the spreaders, but also when upanchoring in stronger winds or when at the masthead slaving away)
I have bought 2 m/bike headsets. Sold by Amazon but are around the Net under various names. Mine are Catuo V6-1200. At £35 each, much cheaper than Sena and others. Sound quality is perfect and duplex. Could have up to 6 users. Only thing is that they are meant to go inside a m/cycle helmet. So currently designing a headset for printing on my 3D printer. Once perfected, happy to share the stl.
TudorSailor

Tags
deck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: