Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 20:26   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR
coming into slip question

Not that I'm new to this but having difficulty getting into the slip we just moved into. Was in one before , similar setup but no wind and current. New slip now has light wind at times from starboard side and slight current also from starboard. We have a 30 ft. Catalina, right hand prop. When coming in very slow prop wash wants to take me to port. Usually another boat on port side of slip. Just enough room to fit ours in. Cannot come in from other side, port side that is. Can only enter slip from upwind, then turn right into slip. I have read this is a difficult side to get into with right hand prop. If no wind which is very slight and I'm almost at a stop when getting to make the turn then I'm okay. The Catalina isn't very maneuverable if you know what I mean or am I doing something wrong. I'm kind of scared to come into slip if any wind and the boat next to us is there. Any helpful advice would sure help.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 20:33   #2

Re: coming into slip question

Hi, can you back in and let the propwalk push you away from the other boat. Or back all the way past your slip, then pull in forward.

Andy

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 20:58   #3

To eliminate prop walk - go to neutral.

In reverse, the biggest issue to going too slow - not too fast. You must maintain steerage way. Going to forward will stop the boat really fast.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 21:06   #4

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR

No, can't back past slip as I would need to back about 3-400 ft. Slip is at end of row of slips. My space is on right just at end but on starboard side. Other boats to my port as I'm coming down towards slip. Is this a difficult one to get into by the nature of the boat and the slight wind.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 21:15   #5

Can you motor past your slip a little, then reverse into your slip? Tie on port side.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 21:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnimigon View Post
No, can't back past slip as I would need to back about 3-400 ft. Slip is at end of row of slips. My space is on right just at end but on starboard side. Other boats to my port as I'm coming down towards slip. Is this a difficult one to get into by the nature of the boat and the slight wind.
I back down slips regularly. reverse, neutral ; reverse, neutral ; reverse, neutral etc.

Face backwards while reversing down, but take quick glimpses at your bow.
Old 05-01-2014, 21:21   #7

Just noticed - you are from Edmonton - where is the boat?
Old 05-01-2014, 21:25   #8

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

I back down slips regularly. reverse, neutral ; reverse, neutral ; reverse, neutral etc.

Face backwards while reversing down, but take quick glimpses at your bow.
Agree. It is common to back all the way into the marina and around three corners of that is what it takes to get into your slip.
Old 05-01-2014, 21:54   #9

Boat: Catalina 387

I've got a indigo prop so that may influence my response. Going in I find prop walk negligible. Go into the slip at min speed and hit reverse as needed to slow down. If at the slip you'll drift port, throw a line around a cleat to starboard.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:36   #10

Boat: Club Sailor; various

I know it doesn't address the problem of how to get into the slip but if the other boat is causing you anxiety you might consider investing in some additional fenders for the port side.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:48   #11

Boat: Catalina 30
I usually back into my slip. I leave my dock lines on the outer piles so as I go by real slow grab one with a boat hook and use it to spring around the corner. Have the mate at the bow with another hook to fend the opposite pile/boat and grab the other line.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:54   #12

I don't know how your boat handles but we drive around marinas in reverse all the time.

Is there any room at all beyond the slip (even a boat length or two)? If so just back past the slip then hard over and power forward into the slip. The wind will no be your friend. (see below for a crude diagram. "X" is your slip and the arrow is where you back up to before putting her in forward). If things go bad, you can always power straight out the fairway.

-------------------------
| | | |X|
|->
| | | | |
----------------------
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:24   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

I also have a Catalina 30. I'm not sure I am able to picture your dock set up but one trick I have found for docking that boat is when you are approaching a dock (where ever that may be) and you need to slow down.

Put the boat in reverse at a very low rpm (so that the prop is barely turning) while you still have decent forward momentum.

If you need to slow down, very incrementally speed up the engine. If you do it right you can compensate for any prop walk with steerage corrections. The prop walk tends to be the worst with sudden rpm increases but can be negligible if done incrementally.

Opposite to that if I am docking on the port side I will gun the engine to suck the stern into the dock.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:42   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
coming into slip question

I see your problem , tight spot , if its possible , you could reverse down to the opposite the slip and go forward into the wind and current turning left into slip. Ie as you approach the end of the run , in reverse angle across , if there enough space to get the bow past your finger then go ahead , prop way will help you here buy going ahead .

Other then that , go slow , fender up your port side and let her sit on next doors boat and then get across to the finger by hand.
Alternatively drop someone off elsewhere to help you warp the boat round the finger into your berth

There's no easy answer , down wind, down tide berth , stuck in a corner = sucks

Dave
Old 06-01-2014, 08:45   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

You don't mention if you have a piling to catch or just a finger pier and if you are singlehanded or have an extra hand?

If you have a piling off the end of your slip and a line handler just leave dock lines hanging on the piling. Rig two lines, one long line to the main pier and the other tied directly to the piling.

Then coming into the slip pull the bow close enough to the piling for your crew to grab the lines. The Cat 30 is small enough that you could kill the forward speed and go forward to take one of the lines. Then just keep tension on the lines and pull the boat the rest of the way into the slip. If you don't have a piling but just a finger pier you can do the same thing but depending on how long and how low the pier it might not be quite as easy.

Another idea to protect the boat downwind from you, if there is a piling then run a taunt line from the piling to the pier. Then if your boat starts drifting downwind the line will catch you before you run into your neighbor.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote