Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2014, 18:52   #91

Boat: PT-11
Re: COLREGS - Sailing in an Anchorage or Mooring Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattar View Post
Don't know where you're seeing 'does not require a permit'.
You snipped it short.

I was commenting on your post that said any event on navigable waters required a permit, which seems rather firm. Your quote of the regs contradicted that by stating a standard requiring a permit only when the event "will introduce extra or unusual hazards to the safety of life on the navigable waters of the United States." It then goes on to list a bunch of conditions that meet the criteria. I think there would be many regattas where they would not be met, but would not be surprised if the CG took an expansive reading and applied it to all regattas.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 19:07   #92

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Note paragraph 2.1 of our local racing rules about not impeding other vessels:

http://www.yra.org/racing/docs/yra_s...structions.pdf
Old 20-10-2014, 19:39   #93

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
I DO agree that anyone organizing a RACE within an anchorage is just plain stupid.
So this would include a very large number of all races.........as most all races are conducted within a bay or open roadstead, which just happens to be the same waters open to anchorage...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 19:55   #94

svneko. Oh, I see the confusion.
The US regs include but are not limited to those examples of conditions for needing a permit. (bold was in the prior post and there's much more in the regs.)

Having raced different boats in different venues and having seen how sailboat racing repeatedly confuses sailors as well as other boaters, it's hard to read the regs as anything other than 'get a permit'.

Also my state is more specific. Any marine regatta, race, parade, tournament or exhibition must have a permit. These events cannot be held without a permit.

Many authorities do seem to take an expansive reading when it comes to permits these days.
And when someone gets hurt, early questions from event insurance include 'Did you have a permit?'
Marine event permits are free.

Mooring fields often have plenty of room for movement. The problem is with boat owners not skilled enough to navigate the field. And that's not just racers.
I think it would be fun to race though a mooring field, and fun to watch from anchor, and I can see how it would worry some people.
cattar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, mooring, sail, sailing