Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2014, 10:40   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30
COLREGS - Sailing in an Anchorage or Mooring Field

While departing Annapolis Yacht Basin after our Sailboat Show weekend we encountered a J boat sailing through the anchorage and mooring field. I slowed to allow it to pass in front of my bow. The J then tacked and cut in front of me again and continued on a tack that eventually forced another sailing vessel under power to alter course in a dangerously crowded area. A boat under sail normally has right of way but what about when sailing in an anchorage or mooring field where larger boats have limited maneuverability?

Stupid Boat Tricks - YouTube
CR38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 10:57   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: COLREGS - Sailing in an anchorage or mooring field

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR38 View Post
While departing Annapolis Yacht Basin after our Sailboat Show weekend we encountered a J boat sailing through the anchorage and mooring field. I slowed to allow it to pass in front of my bow. The J then tacked and cut in front of me again and continued on a tack that eventually forced another sailing vessel under power to alter course in a dangerously crowded area. A boat under sail normally has right of way but what about when sailing in an anchorage or mooring field where larger boats have limited maneuverability?

Stupid Boat Tricks - YouTube
Ok,

Watched the video. We had a similar discussion in a thread with Tacoma Sailor, who was tacking up a narrow channel.

Looking at this one - you are correct. He is under sail and you are under power. He is the stand on vesel and you are the give way vessel.

Watching the video - I can't see that he "forced" the other boat to take evasive action.

Firstly, the other boat is entering your channel, both you and the Jboat are coming from his starboard side, meaning he is the give way vessel (regardless of whether or not you are under power or under sail) Rule 15. Considering the Jboat is under sail - the blue boat must give way (Rule 18)

The Blue boat apparently ignores the Jboat, does not give way as he is supposed to and the Jboat is forced to take evasive action to avoid a collision. (Rule 9 states:Ships must not cross a channel if to do so would impede another vessel which can navigate only within that channel.)

We can argue (as was done in the Tacoma thread) that the Jboat should have given way to the other boats since he is tacking up a channel and may therefore present an obstruction (Rule 9)

However this is clearly falsefied by your actions when you put the pedal to the metal and passed him. So obviously there was enough room to overtake him.

So the Jboat was doing what he should have been doing and the skipper of the blue boat doesn't know his colegs.

Flogging round the fleet for the skipper of the blue boat for not knowing his colregs

If all parties here had adhered to Rule 2, then there would have been no discussion

RULE 2
[Rule 2 is sometimes referred to as the "General Prudential" rule and provides for non-conformance with stated rules to prevent a collision, because what is paramount is to avoid or minimise the damaging effects of a collision, as opposed to blindly following the rules to the letter. The overall intent is to minimise actual collision taking place rather than rule compliance in and of itself, per se.]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 11:21   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

What? A J boat skipper going through a mooring field tacking without thought? Who would of thunk!

It gets my blood boiling that the racing crowd seem to forget all about COLREGS (in this case inland water rules), safety and common courtesy because of the antics they are used to in the pursuit of their passions. I've been on the same receiving end of a fleet of them cutting through a mooring field, and when asked to not do that, getting the one finger salute.

The next day we had the local sheriff's department out when they tried it again. Revenge is sooooooo sweet.
Old 19-10-2014, 12:14   #4

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The OP should have known the J Boat would be tacking when it reached the other side of the channel. OP could have altered course to port to pass (not slow down) behind the J Boat and thus passing it then and be done with it. The blue boat made even worse decisions (violated ColRegs) by barging into the channel in front of the J Boat's path. The J Boat was smart to tack (following Rule 2) to avoid collision with Blue.

One needs to be wary of sailing vessels because of sudden course changes, particularly when they are racing.

Please don't make a jibing motion before I pass you:

Old 19-10-2014, 12:25   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Just because the rules are in ones flavor it doesn't mean still aren't an a-hole and being an idiot!
Old 19-10-2014, 12:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Just because the rules are in ones flavor it doesn't mean still aren't an a-hole and being an idiot!
What flavor is that?

The OP was merely inconvenienced because of the regs placing the burden on him, but Blue "blew" the regs.
Old 19-10-2014, 12:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post

One needs to be wary of sailing vessels because of sudden course changes, particularly when they are racing.
I think this attitude is part of the problem. Racers intentionally obstruct their competition. That's fine if you are in a formal race and not impacting others. The problem is they then proceed to assume everyone on the water is their competition and act like jerks.

In a crowded anchorage, sailing vessels should be telegraphing their moves and making the extra effort not to surprise other vessels when they deviate from typical traffic patterns.

They may or may not be technically in the right but are still idiots.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 12:47   #8

It should be obvious to boaters that a sailboat proceeding windward through a channel will be tacking and that boaters need to adjust their transit to accommodate this.

We're not talking here about a racing regatta passing through an anchorage.
Old 19-10-2014, 12:48   #9

Boat: Boatless

In Coconut Grove, Miami, on a race Saturday there will be 50 boats sailing through the mooring field and the channel back to the sailing clubs.

Mostly the boats under power will realize that the racers need to be given room to tack and gybe. We frequently anticipate their tacks and give them room with a friendly wave appreciating their sailing skills.

I occasionally sail in and out of anchorages, mooring fields and even marinas ...what else do you do when the engine quits 500 miles from home?

A few years back I actually got a round of applause from the Cuban Coast Guard when I put a boat on their custom dock under sail!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 12:52   #10

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

There is being right, then there is being right dead.!
Error on the side of life, then live it as a minute ago will not come again.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 13:48   #11

Boat: Carter offshore 35

You should take a mooring in Annapolis on a Wednesday night. It really gets exciting.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 14:24   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It is a joy to see that J boat sailing, and they are entirely in the right - both because they are sailing, but also because in any case, you are overtaking.

You and the blue boat are neither constrained by draft nor maneuverability. You are both obliged to give way to the sailing boat. You did ok, but the blue boat broke rule 18 (sail over power) and rule 13 (overtaking)
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 14:28   #13

Boat: PT-11

Has it come to this that sailors complain about a sailboat sailing and not using its motor?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 14:31   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

So a boat under sail is tacking upwind inside a channel... The vessel under sail has also rolled up her jib to increase her maneuverability...

And it is the overtaking vessel that is complaining about needing room? The whole point of giving vessels under sail the right of way is so that when they are tacking up a channel power vessels have to allow them room to keep clear. Which is exactly what we have here. The only stupid boat trick is the OP complaining that the right of way vessel took the room she was owed and needed.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 14:35   #15

Boat: Valiant 40

It's a bit of an Annapolis thing. There are so many racing boats packed up Spa and Back Creeks that I don't think anyone here, cruisers, even power boaters give boats tacking up the creeks a second thought. It's just what people around here and even a bit of a tradition. I've certainly never heard a local complain about it. That said, you do once in awhile get some boneheads. Like some of the folks on J/80s and Harbor 20 who rent boats out of the J World school/club.

Heck, the Wednesday night series has a finish line right at AYC at the bridge. That means you have 30+ big boats tearing right through the basin and on up Spa. It can get kinda crazy but it's huge fun as a racer and a spectator.

Now the paddle boarders are the ones to watch out for. They're hard to spot in some light or conditions and any yahoo can drop one in the water and start paddling the creeks. :\

Wednesday Night Races finish...
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, mooring, sail, sailing