Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-10-2014, 11:35   #61

Re: COLREGS - Sailing in an anchorage or mooring field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Here's on for you: You are out sailing and a racing fleet overtakes you. You are not going the identical direction they are and one close by is pointing up causing you to change course. Are you required to allow him to sail his "best course" for racing? Is this a "mast abeam" situation?
Happens all the time on SF Bay, which is a great cruising ground as well as a BIG racing course.

The easiest thing to do is to be COURTEOUS. If you've ever raced, you know what that means: stay out of their way, it's the NICE thing to do.

Not so hard either, if you keep your damn head out of your own boat.

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 11:35   #62
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa

^^ racing boats meeting non-racing boats are governed by the Colregs and NOT the racing rules. But it is generally viewed as polite to allow racing boats to sail their course.

and as an aside . . . "mast abeam" is long gone from the racing rules.

Old 20-10-2014, 12:02   #63

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Here the ship is the stand-on vessel as it is in a narrow shipping channel. All the sailboats must maneuver around her. The ship hadn't run over my motor vessel: we were crossing her wake from starboard to port after she passed.

Not to sound like an ass but I can see no relevance?
Old 20-10-2014, 12:43   #64

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Not to sound like an ass but I can see no relevance?
If irrelevant, why post it again?
Old 20-10-2014, 12:47   #65

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

We had no engine in our Colgate 26 - there are lots of boats that size in the caribbean with no engine. We would regularly sail in and out of anchorages, in and out of our slip in west end, and onto and off mooring balls.

In fact, this was the norm not too long ago

We needed to keep in mind that most caps assumed we had an engine, so they wouldn't react the same way in the anchorage as they would if they were expecting the boat to be unpowered. It didn't cause many issues.
Old 20-10-2014, 13:03   #66

As a racer, I find moving obstructions (the non-racers) make a course more interesting.
Ships, cruisers, and especially something like a small motorboat trolling with multiple lines out about 5 boatlengths above the leeward mark. (Yes, that's happened. Was interesting to see how many boats weren't looking ahead and were surprised. Learned some new phrases.)
Racing rules apply only to racers, colregs apply to everyone. When racing, I'm watching both racers and non-racers, and planning around both.
Old 20-10-2014, 13:11   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattar View Post
As a racer, I find moving obstructions (the non-racers) make a course more interesting.
Ships, cruisers, and especially something like a small motorboat trolling with multiple lines out about 5 boatlengths above the leeward mark. (Yes, that's happened. Was interesting to see how many boats weren't looking ahead and were surprised. Learned some new phrases.)
Racing rules apply only to racers, colregs apply to everyone. When racing, I'm watching both racers and non-racers, and planning around both.

Probably the most important take away for racers to understand in the heat of the moment.

Thanks for stressing it.
Old 20-10-2014, 13:14   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
^^ racing boats meeting non-racing boats are governed by the Colregs and NOT the racing rules. But it is generally viewed as polite to allow racing boats to sail their course.

and as an aside . . . "mast abeam" is long gone from the racing rules.
Of course, if you assert your rights by busting thru a race, you will be lucky if you aren't lynched but god forbid you mess with thier rights when you are just trying to get in and out of the harbor and they are asserting thier rights.

This is where I (and I suspect a lot of other boaters) get annoyed with racers. When it's in thier interest, they jump up and down and point to the col-regs but go busting thru thier race and it's a different attitude.

Yeah, the col-regs ultimately win out but it's mostly ego issue.
Old 20-10-2014, 13:27   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
it's mostly ego issue.
I think there are just some people who don't share well and must have their way.
This doesn't seem specific to any group of boaters, more to individuals.
Old 20-10-2014, 13:30   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Of course, if you assert your rights by busting thru a race, you will be lucky if you aren't lynched but god forbid you mess with thier rights when you are just trying to get in and out of the harbor and they are asserting thier rights.

This is where I (and I suspect a lot of other boaters) get annoyed with racers. When it's in thier interest, they jump up and down and point to the col-regs but go busting thru thier race and it's a different attitude.

Yeah, the col-regs ultimately win out but it's mostly ego issue.
I have raced just about everywhere on the eastern seaboard, the Gulf of Mexico, and california. I can only think of two or three racers who would meet your description.

However last regatta I ran I had to call out the USCG to remove a spectator boat from our race course. The guy was pissed making much the same arguments that you are about racers not having special privlages.

However at least while on a racing course (as opposed to a distance race) every sailboat race in US territorial waters should be permitted by the USCG. Which means if you sail thru my race course not only have you interfered with the racers, you have also, just by being there, violated COLREGS. Now usually racers don't care that much, and usually non-racers are polite enough to remove themselves from a course once the recognize it as such.

So every time you sail thru a race course and can't understand why racers are pissed its likely because not only are you being rude, you are also in violation of the COLREGS. Feel free to read the weekly notice to mariners that will detail the racing areas you are required to stay out of before yelling at racers who you are bothering.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 13:38   #71
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
. Feel free to read the weekly notice to mariners that will detail the racing areas you are required to stay out of before yelling at racers who you are bothering.
Out of curiosity . . . Could you post an example please?

I was not aware that race permits gave exclusive use of the water to the racers. (Edit: Although, yes, I see that the "special local regulations" section could in theory do that).
Old 20-10-2014, 13:47   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
If irrelevant, why post it again?
Because maybe I just don't see his point? It may very well be relevant?
Old 20-10-2014, 13:51   #73

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
I have raced just about everywhere on the eastern seaboard, the Gulf of Mexico, and california. I can only think of two or three racers who would meet your description.

However last regatta I ran I had to call out the USCG to remove a spectator boat from our race course. The guy was pissed making much the same arguments that you are about racers not having special privlages.

However at least while on a racing course (as opposed to a distance race) every sailboat race in US territorial waters should be permitted by the USCG. Which means if you sail thru my race course not only have you interfered with the racers, you have also, just by being there, violated COLREGS. Now usually racers don't care that much, and usually non-racers are polite enough to remove themselves from a course once the recognize it as such.

So every time you sail thru a race course and can't understand why racers are pissed its likely because not only are you being rude, you are also in violation of the COLREGS. Feel free to read the weekly notice to mariners that will detail the racing areas you are required to stay out of before yelling at racers who you are bothering.
I've raced for years and never seen anything like this. Perhaps you're racing at an Olympic level or something like that? Or it's a US vs Canada thing?

All of our race courses are just a patch of water we race in. Many of them even cross shipping channels or in front of marinas, or just generally in crowded areas.

We are always governed by the colregs and we always obey them. We do appreciate when people give us the courtesy of some room, especially in light conditions (which is a lot of the time around here).

I also cruise English Bay, Vancouver, where there will be three different races, cruisers, and cargo ships all sharing. It works just fine and I give the racers room when I can because it's considerate.
Old 20-10-2014, 14:06   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:

Looking this notice to mariners, and doing the search "race" there is only one case where there is any indication that the USCG is restricting non-racing vessels, and that is in this case:

Quote:
FLORIDA-ATLANTIC OCEAN-KEY WEST: Special Local Regulation for 2014 Key West
World Championship Race
The Coast Guard will be enforcing an existing Special Local Regulation for the 2014 Key West
etc. ....
There are numerous other races mentioned, but no mention of restrictions of any sort.

Perhaps you could clarify your comment that restrictions apply to every race, as it does not appear to be the case.
Old 20-10-2014, 14:15   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Because maybe I just don't see his point? It may very well be relevant?
He did get back to me with a private message. His post was relevant when is could see were he was coming from.

Tags
anchor, mooring, sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: