Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-10-2014, 17:20   #31

Boat: Hughes 25 - Tulip
Re: COLREGS - Sailing in an anchorage or mooring field

Perhaps sounding a horn to alert the sailing crew that you have concern about their course. I understand that the first to sound warning in a collision may be significant in marine courts. Although if you have a very loud directional horn it may be tempting to wait if it appears they will tack right up close. :-)

Old 19-10-2014, 17:25   #32
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
3.2 Safe Operation of Vessels: Reckless operation of any vessel, including any recreational vessel, small craft, or dinghy, when in the judgment of the Harbormaster said operation is an endangerment to life, property, or other vessels, shall be grounds for immediate ejection from the Facility.
OK, interesting. Thanks. That does NOT ban either sailing, or in fact racing, in the mooring field - only reckless operation. I would suggest that racing is not per say reckless, not even in a mooring field (eg it could be if the boats act recklessly, but is not necessarily so and racing boats could act prudently even while sailing thru a mooring field). But that is certainly a bit of a can of worms because 'recklessness' is a judgement call, and experienced racers will/do have a difference judgement than non-racers.

I am curious if this was enforced after some actual incident where a person or boat was hit? If so then there was clearly 'recklessness' than needed to be sanctioned. But if it was just some people/boats who did not like sail boats racing thru the mooring field, but who had in fact caused no incidents, then it would make me a bit more uncomfortable to have 'the man' called down.

Florida and California both do seem to have a different perspective on the need and their legal ability to impose rules on boaters/sailors than any of the other states I have sailed in.

I agree with you with regards to the video. Two separate incidences, the only commonality was that racing sailboats were involved.

In the OP, the J is in fact NOT racing. They are simply having a nice safe day sail, and being treated with inconsideration by boats overtaking them under motor.

Old 19-10-2014, 17:25   #33

Rover
Look again..... Both motoring vessels only had to use there throttles and go a stern of the J boat and this post wouldn't have even started
Total inability to assess the situation or recognise what a craft sailing actions would be, the j boat is the stand on vessel and in no way is he impeding a vessel restricted by draught or inability to manoeuvre !
This is getting silly
Or maybe it shows how incompetent most ' cruisers are'

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-10-2014, 17:33   #34

Please don't come to my local harbour on race night
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1413761579.912424.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	89991

Old 19-10-2014, 17:49   #35

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Italian coast guard giving right of way to a very small sailboat on a port:

In this case, the sailboat skipper is a freaking moron, even if he does have the right of way.
Old 19-10-2014, 17:53   #36

Yep...... Welcome to the life of a motorboater !!
But it shows the pro's know the rules

Old 19-10-2014, 18:01   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR38 View Post
While departing Annapolis Yacht Basin after our Sailboat Show weekend we encountered a J boat sailing through the anchorage and mooring field. I slowed to allow it to pass in front of my bow. The J then tacked and cut in front of me again and continued on a tack that eventually forced another sailing vessel under power to alter course in a dangerously crowded area. A boat under sail normally has right of way but what about when sailing in an anchorage or mooring field where larger boats have limited maneuverability?

Stupid Boat Tricks - YouTube
The black hulled sailboat under power had plenty of opportunities to slow down, stop, or turn. The nature of her work is recreational sailing, which does not make her the stand-on vessel. Her skipper being a jerk or not paying attention. Use your common sense, folks!
Old 19-10-2014, 18:01   #38
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

As was said in a previous post, it's an Annapolis thing. I was on a mooring in Spa Creek one evening and was startled to see a whole fleet threading through the mooring field under spinnakers. One, rather expertly I have to say, passed very, very close to our stern before jibing to the finish.

It's Annapolis. Learn to enjoy it, or go somewhere else. It's a weekly happening during the season. You ain't gonna change tradition.
Old 19-10-2014, 18:27   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
As was said in a previous post, it's an Annapolis thing. I was on a mooring in Spa Creek one evening and was startled to see a whole fleet threading through the mooring field under spinnakers. One, rather expertly I have to say, passed very, very close to our stern before jibing to the finish.

It's Annapolis. Learn to enjoy it, or go somewhere else. It's a weekly happening during the season. You ain't gonna change tradition.
Must be a New England thing too. Sailing into or out of a harbor is not uncommon. It is incumbent on the sailboat not to make sudden maneuvers like tacking just ahead of another vessel, and it's also incumbent on the vessel under power to slow down, stop, or otherwise get out of the way.

A responsible race organizing committee will coordinate the race location, course, and time with local authorities (CG and/or harbormaster), but I have seen many races here organized by local yacht clubs inside protected harbors for the kids in Optimist dinghies or similar. Just about everyone is careful around them and does not get into sea lawyer mode interpreting the minutia of COLREGs. There are also kayakers and paddle boarders here, just to make things more interesting.
Old 19-10-2014, 18:28   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post
Please don't come to my local harbour on race night
Attachment 89991

Maybe it would help if you understand the situation. The red route is what the racers took, the blue routes were the options available them from avoiding the mooring field. Having 50 or more whiz through was rude, disconcerting and totally unnecessary.
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinner key routes.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	89994
Old 19-10-2014, 19:01   #41
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
was rude, disconcerting and totally unnecessary.
Attachment 89994
Perhaps. I suppose it depends on the observer. Someone else might have considered it "spectacular, impressive, and fun to watch".

In any case your regulation does not in fact prohibit rude and disconcerting behavior. It prohibits reckless endangerment to life or property. Those are rather different things.

I think we can agree the racing fleet should be well behave and should of course avoid both (rude and reckless behavior). But I personally would not consider it per say either (rude or reckless) to sail thru that mooring field if it was done with skill and style - I suppose we can agree to disagree on that.
Old 19-10-2014, 20:00   #42

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30

After all the excellent well considered comments here's my findings. The J Boat WAS the stand on vessel. The larger (dark green) sailboat under power should have given way sooner although you can see from the video there was an effort to turn away from the J Boat once it was seen. Regardless of it's stand-on status the skipper of the J Boat should have initiated a tack earlier in order to avoid a collision as it was clear the larger sailboat was not going to give way to the degree required to allow a safe crossing. Finally, while it may be a local practice, sailing aggressively across channels and through mooring fields while other larger vessels are attempting to transit the same area amounts to reckless behavior.
Old 19-10-2014, 20:16   #43

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Sailing through a fairway is reckless? Perhaps all sailboats should be required to have and use an engine so they needn't sail through crowded waters.
Old 19-10-2014, 20:23   #44

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR38 View Post
... Finally, while it may be a local practice, sailing aggressively across channels and through mooring fields while other larger vessels are attempting to transit the same area amounts to reckless behavior.
It does not seem to me that the jboat is sailing aggressively: The skipper does not even have a frontal sail up and the wind is weak. Certainly that does not indicate aggressive sailing but careful sailing, keeping the boat sailing slow and with maximum maneuverability. Besides that do you know if he could chose another route to sail where he wanted to go? A sailing boat sailing against the wind has to have a zigzag course, I mean a sailing boat.... sailing
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 01:11   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

It is a sad commentary on the knowledge and comprehension of the Colregs that there seems to be disagreement on stand-on/give way vessels in this situation.

It is clear-cut - there are no "vague" or "hazy" areas here. The Jboat was clearly the stand-on and the others the give way vessels.

Even arguing that the Jboat should have tacked earlier (to avoid the blue boat) is not necessarily true. The Jboat tacked when it became apparent that the blue boat was NOT going to give way as he is supposed to.

A true lack of understanding and comprehension of the Regs here, and unfortunately it is a lack that seems to be prevalent amongst many boaters.

Tags
anchor, mooring, sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: