Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 17:08   #316

Boat: 34' Novi Lobsterboat /40' Marine Trader
Re: Chain Versus Rope Scope ?

So .. rope are for dopes - chain are for brains ?
bugmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 17:34   #317
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmon View Post
So .. rope are for dopes - chain are for brains ?
This is one of those things there is no definate right and wrong both work...chain just works better....if you take a look at the professionals, fisherman tugs etc they all have all chain. The majority of the boats that end up on the beach here (and there are alot) have rode tied directly to the anchor ( the rest are rode w/chain with too small of an anchor and/or too little scope).
Rode is easier to handle, but easier does not mean better (the better things in life are useually more difficult as a rule).
Old 03-05-2012, 04:18   #318
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Depending on where you plan to cruise, there's a case for having both.

My setup was 150' of chain backed by 175' of three strand nylon rode. In our cruising grounds (Chesapeake Bay, Bermuda, and the West Indies), I never had to use the nylon, but it was there if it turned out I needed more scope in a heavy blow.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:33   #319
CLOD

Boat: none

isn't this discussion really a little crazy?

if you have all chain, or almost all chain, in you locker such that the only thing attached the boat and your anchor, and you then put a 30' rope snubber on it ............ isn't that just a mixed rode in operation?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:45   #320
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sure, you always use a snubber on chain. But I didn't want the expense of 300' of chain, nor the weight of it in the chain locker, so I chose a hybrid solution which effectively turned out to be all chain deployed with a snubber in every anchorage I visited. With the rope spliced on, I had double the scope available if needed, in effect a 175' snubber.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:28   #321
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Sure, you always use a snubber on chain. But I didn't want the expense of 300' of chain, nor the weight of it in the chain locker, so I chose a hybrid solution which effectively turned out to be all chain deployed with a snubber in every anchorage I visited. With the rope spliced on, I had double the scope available if needed, in effect a 175' snubber.
Hud I understand your point. My point was aimed at the people arguing the point of all chain or mixed rode that most using all chain are still running a mixed rode once the snubber is on.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:26   #322
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gotcha.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:45   #323
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Depending on where you plan to cruise, there's a case for having both.

My setup was 150' of chain backed by 175' of three strand nylon rode. In our cruising grounds (Chesapeake Bay, Bermuda, and the West Indies), I never had to use the nylon, but it was there if it turned out I needed more scope in a heavy blow.
My boat is set up for both, here in the Pacific North West chain is prefered, I grew up on the Chesapeake using rode. As things stand now I can use either or both. (300' of chain and 175' of rode w/25' of chain off the bow and 200' of rode w/25' of chain off the stern).
Old 03-05-2012, 09:24   #324
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Hud I understand your point. My point was aimed at the people arguing the point of all chain or mixed rode that most using all chain are still running a mixed rode once the snubber is on.
There's a huge difference because a snubber is not an either/or situation. If the snubber chafes through, the chain is still in place.

The bitter end of my chain attaches to the boat via a 2-meter loop of nylon. That way, if I need to cut and run, the operation can be performed with a simple knife.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:30   #325
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

As someone who currently uses a rope rode with 20' of chain, really the scope I use is the same weather its chain or rode. I generally use about 5 to 1 for anchoring. My main anchor is 2 sizes larger and I use an oversized rode too. Plus I always use chafe gear. If a storm comes up I'll let out a little more rode.

While my boat dances a little more at anchor in some conditions, its not all that much more. While I have giving it quite a bit of thought, I feel that overall my anchoring setup for me works. There again, I've always been a contra sort of girl.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 15:54   #326

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
isn't this discussion really a little crazy?

if you have all chain, or almost all chain, in you locker such that the only thing attached the boat and your anchor, and you then put a 30' rope snubber on it ............ isn't that just a mixed rode in operation?
No, Don, not the same: if the snubber chafes and parts, you are still anchored by the chain, but if the nylon rode chafes and parts, you are adrift. Big difference.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 03-05-2012, 16:02   #327
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i willnot use anyhting like or akin to rode for a snubber--the purpose of the snubber is to stretch and if necessary, it snaps not the chain. i do not use 30 ft of it either--my bow is only 8-9 ft above water--is no need to use 30 ft of line for bridle when i make a snubber. boats use snubber bridles to imitate waterline snubbing, or attachment of anchor chain at water line rather than at deck height to avoid stress and chafe on deck fittings and rode. i use floatable cheepo rope for that snubber job.

contra is fine until you lose the boat to a rocky anchorage and maxichafe. smooth sailing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 16:10   #328

Boat: PETERSON 44
Forgive me.
Rock, Rope , scissors, chain. A new game Rock beats scissors rope ehhhh well you know.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 18:22   #329
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Oh no question that chain is better. But the cost of all chain and windlass plus the fiddly bits, it approaches 25-33 percent of my 40 year old boat value. Like me its low maintenance . Thats money I don't really have either, being one of those sub $500 a month cruisers... So I goes with what I've gots.

People have gone around the world using rope anchor rode. I do have several other anchor /rode sets and a stern anchor that's always ready to deploy. I inspect the rode all the time too. Easy to do when you deploy and retrieve an anchor by hand.....
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 18:27   #330
Eternal Member

I use a snubber/bridal for several reasons, an anchor roller can not hold up to the stresses of the chain at anchor, the brake on the windlass (which works on friction) can not be trusted to hold the boat, the cleats the bridal is connected to have a more secure backing than the windlass and a bridal keeps the boat centered.....the "shock absorber" function" is only secondary).

Tags
scope