Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2012, 16:14   #286
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Anchoring threads are always a train wreck and they never conclude. It seems the mixed rode crowd is about wight and maybe snubbing improvement but my question is...

Is chain worse than rope? Not is chain better than rope.

For me it is chain for the following reasons

- no need to switch from the cog to the capstain on the gypsy when deploying or hauling
- no need to worry about chafe or prop strikes
- i would rather have wet chain in my locker than wet rope

It is not ideal to have the chain weight in the bow on most boats but it really is about the equivalent of two guys. I can handle the performance hit.

For rough/bad weather a system to transfer chain to bilge may be useful. Some boats are set up with the chain locker near the mast. That could be considered.

Having said that my opinion changes for small boats say <35 feet. I think the weight/convenience equation falls apart. I have 30m of chain and about 100m of rope on my 26 footer. Would never consider 130 meters of chain.

Finally all you guys routinely anchoring in 80kt winds need to find some friendlier cruising grounds - LOL
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 16:21   #287

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Chain Versus Rope Scope ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Anchoring threads are always a train wreck and they never conclude. It seems the mixed rode crowd is about wight and maybe snubbing improvement but my question is...

Is chain worse than rope? Not is chain better than rope.

For me it is chain for the following reasons

- no need to switch from the cog to the capstain on the gypsy when deploying or hauling
- no need to worry about chafe or prop strikes
- i would rather have wet chain in my locker than wet rope

It is not ideal to have the chain weight in the bow on most boats but it really is about the equivalent of two guys. I can handle the performance hit.

For rough/bad weather a system to transfer chain to bilge may be useful. Some boats are set up with the chain locker near the mast. That could be considered.

Having said that my opinion changes for small boats say <35 feet. I think the weight/convenience equation falls apart. I have 30m of chain and about 100m of rope on my 26 footer. Would never consider 130 meters of chain.

Finally all you guys routinely anchoring in 80kt winds need to find some friendlier cruising grounds - LOL
:th umb:
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 16:22   #288
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Really. I consider my home waters to be fairly windy, and yet I go year after year without ever seeing my chain so taut that it isn't touching bottom.
Old 18-04-2012, 16:29   #289
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Whoops! Check that.

10m of chain and 100m rope... Doh!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 17:16   #290
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

This started out as a thread asking the pros and cons on a topic of two opposing, yet valid points of vew...unfortuntley it has evolved to the point where some feel "Anyone who doesn't agree with me must be completely wrong"...as is the case in a number of threads/topics.
There are a number of factors that need to be considered (here as well as all hot debates)...personal preferance/cruising style, eqipment/boat, weather/location, budget,etc. There are some rights and wrongs in everything, but most subjects have alot of flexibility.
Old 18-04-2012, 17:42   #291

Bash is right, it's how you sleep. If boating becomes so stressful that you are uncomfortable, why do it? Solve the problem--put out 2 anchors, one of each.
jewel114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 18:05   #292
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel114 View Post
Bash is right, it's how you sleep. If boating becomes so stressful that you are uncomfortable, why do it? Solve the problem--put out 2 anchors, one of each.
If the systems availale to you both work use the one that you are most comfortable with...even though I grew up useing rode, I still sleep better with chain.
Old 18-04-2012, 18:32   #293

Boat: 34' Novi Lobsterboat /40' Marine Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
This started out as a thread asking the pros and cons on a topic of two opposing, yet valid points of vew...unfortuntley it has evolved into an easy way to raise your post totals
** fixed
bugmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 18:59   #294

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel114 View Post
+10 on that - but with a lot of CF members having small boats, hanging two anchors on the bow is not viable - and who wants to be seen sailing with your bow down in the water and your stern up in the air.

Larger boats and boats with certain designs can easily accommodate two anchors on the bow. Then you have the option to choose the type anchor/rode that works best for the your current particular situation.

And in some anchorages with soft mud/sugar sand or reversing tide/winds deploying both anchors really promotes a secure night's sleep. There are many other situations where have the 2nd anchor either deployed or ready to deploy is very wise especially in the eastern Caribbean.

One further advantage of all chain rode from a practical standpoint is its weight pulling the chain down near vertically to the sea floor. In drifting or reversing light winds this keeps the rode from getting too cozy with your propeller and shaft.

So, IMHO, there is no hard rule that one type of rode is better than the other, it is just that in certain circumstances one or the other will work better. But I feel if you only have the option of one anchor/rode on your bow - go with chain.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 19:18   #295
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i do not enjoy watching other folks lose boats as the nylon rode is severed by whatever forces so do , and chafe at the boat is just as bad as is chafe from the sea floor. nylon still breaks and boat still goes away. fact.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 19:29   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i do not enjoy watching other folks lose boats as the nylon rode is severed by whatever forces so do , and chafe at the boat is just as bad as is chafe from the sea floor. nylon still breaks and boat still goes away. fact.
In more than 25 years of anchoring with a combination rode I have never chafed through and I'm pretty certain that I've seen conditions equal to or exceeding most. Chafe protection is not something unique to composite rode, chain requires protection (and often your boat needs protection from chain). In both cases there are a number of proven reliable options like fire hose and Ice cover.

This kind of blanket statement just defies comprehension.
JoeFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 19:35   #297

joefish-you should have been here. and it isnt even windy yet--only 25 kts and unprotected from building seas. lots of fun for anchor outs
Old 18-04-2012, 19:40   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
joefish-you should have been here. and it isnt even windy yet--only 25 kts and unprotected from building seas. lots of fun for anchor outs
You clearly have never anchored out in Wellington or spent time in San Fran. 25kt is hardly a blow. That's the afternoon sea breeze.

If you chose an unprotected harbor for a long term anchorage I'd really like to try and understand your cruising logic better. Help me out here...
JoeFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 19:48   #299

come to mexico. enjoy cruising in other places than san francisco. enjoy.wewill begin storm season in a few weeks. should be interesting
Old 18-04-2012, 19:54   #300

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFish View Post
In more than 25 years of anchoring with a combination rode I have never chafed through and I'm pretty certain that I've seen conditions equal to or exceeding most. Chafe protection is not something unique to composite rode, chain requires protection (and often your boat needs protection from chain). In both cases there are a number of proven reliable options like fire hose and Ice cover.

This kind of blanket statement just defies comprehension.
JoeFish, it's really good that you have never chafed through a nylon rode... I'm happy for you. But to make a blanket statement (!) that it doesn't happen just defies comprehension.

As mentioned above, Ann and I have personally known of 4 such cases. It DOES happen. And it is difficult to get that firehose stuff down where the serious chafing happens... on the sea floor.

And while I'm ranting, exactly what protection does chain require? I guess that we are just brutes, for we've simply dropped the anchor and chain when desired and never done squat to protect it. Then when it's time to leave, we winch it up and it stuffs itself into the chain locker where it lies, soggy and covered with marine growth, mud, and whatever pollution is locally available.

We do protect the boat from the chain by running it over a hefty roller and then through a bronze chain pipe as it falls to the bottom of the locker. And of course we always use a nylon snubber as well, with a backup if conditions are severe. And you know what? Functionally, an all-chain rode with a nylon snubber looks an awful lot like your composite rode, mate... only thing is that is if the nylon fails (and we have had snubber failures) the boat is still anchored.

Enough said.

Jim

Tags
scope