Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-08-2009, 09:00   #16

Boat: it doesn't have a sail so it doesn't count!
pirate

I sailed with a friend for years who had a 44' Hylas CC, a beautiful boat. The only two draw backs I ever noticed were the galley and as others have mentioned, you get a lot more spray.

The pluses IMHO far outweighed the minuses. One of the biggest is the relative (it still is a sailboat) ease of access to the engine. And as also previously mentioned, the girls do like the deck space at the stern.

to living the dream
craig

Old 04-08-2009, 09:01   #17

Boat: O'Day 37' PRINTEMPS
The cavern below CC.

Steve, welcome.

I am also a new member like you, a greenhorn, and for me it´s time to only ask questions, learn, and not to speak.

But, as I have a CC sloop, the O'Day 37, let me tell you something I think important in choosing CC sailboats:

they are dry in the cock, permit a wider view and really give us a sensation of security, as already and better told here by people more experient tham me.

But, mostly in boats smaller than 40 feet, the motor is difficult to acess, and it's a problem to give them the daily, regular maintenance.

In my case, it was a so serious problem that I intent to open a big hole, a kind of trapdoor, in the cockpit floor. To acess the motor more easily --- I am too old to crawl in a low, narrow, opressing cavern above the cock.

Good Winds,

Magalhães
Ubatuba, Brazil

Old 04-08-2009, 09:01   #18

Boat: Down East 45, Brigantine
Like so many things about boats, it comes down to a matter of personal choice. It might be helpful if Songlines told us what size boat he was considering, or what his price range is? As I personally see it, the advantage of the CC is usually a nice aft cabin and head, good maneuvering in close quarters, dryer than aft cockpits, and usually a full enclosure. For me, the principal advantage of a ketch is the ability to run a mizzen staysail, irrespective of cockpit layout.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:23   #19

Boat: O'Day 37' PRINTEMPS
CORRECTING !!!

in my reply:

"In my case, it was a so serious problem that I intent to open a big hole, a kind of trapdoor, in the cockpit floor. To acess the motor more easily --- I am too old to crawl in a low, narrow, opressing cavern above the cock."

I intend to say under the cock, bellow the cock. That is the problem of speaking or writing a language that is not the mine. Excuse me again.

Magalhães
Old 04-08-2009, 09:45   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think it's a given for a cruising boat that a dodger is a necessity anyway. IMHO a CC is a drier boat in rough weather than an aft Cockpit. There are a multitude of CC's 42-46 ft, many with walk throughs. My Passport 47 aft cockpit ( a noted Bob Perry design) would take green water over the bow, down the sidedecks and into the cockpit in rough weather. That's more of a PITA than some spray on the dodger...! The other advantage with many CC's is the huge engine room. My friend's Gulfstar 44 (which took them to OZ and Back) has the main engine, a diesel DC generator, the water heater, pumps etc all in the engine room that you can actually go into and sit down!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:29   #21

We are looking at a 43" CC... we're going to do a project boat so we will know how all is laid out and operates. budget is under $50k and timing depends on the right boat "finding us".

I appreciate everyone's input...

Steve
Old 04-08-2009, 14:32   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I always thought the older Pearson CC ketches were a bargain. no not fast, not fancy, but just good basic boats with a "modern" underbody... example: http://www.sailboattraderonline.com/...KETCH-95209135
Old 05-08-2009, 09:59   #23

Boat: Gulfstar 41 Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I don't think the advantages of a center cockpit design overcome the disadvantages until somewhere around 50 feet. On anything shorter, the cockpit is too close to the splashy part of the boat. All you end up is a boat design where a dodger is an absolute necessity.
Personally I'd reduce that number to 40'. Love my Gulfstar 41. Yes, you do get some spray earlier (lower sea states) than a longer boat, but I have not found it to be a big problem, only a little one. Below 40', I think CC becomes questionable.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:11   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
sail many different boats with many different folks and find out what it is YOU like about each one....then get that which YOU like and are comfortable with--center cockpits have more windage....might not matter in many situations, might matter in others---is a personal thing....everyone likes something different from others--no one can make up your mind...have fun researching and sailing~~~~~_/)~~~~~~
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:45   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Advice: (please take it for what it is worth)
DO NOT i repeat DO NOT take a project boat without first knowing everything about the boat including sailing on a sistership and being totally in love with the design. You are about to enter into the pain zone, and only true love will keep you from selling your project before you are done.
I know of which I speak, after having my boat done by me and shipwrights for the last 6 months. The first real sail was last week, in which it had to come back and get another 5k worth of repairs.
They are not kidding when they say buget at least 3xs as much and twice the time to fix your boat.
But I do love my boat....
Old 05-08-2009, 11:47   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Advice: (please take it for what it is worth)
DO NOT i repeat DO NOT take a project boat without first knowing everything about the boat including sailing on a sistership and being totally in love with the design. You are about to enter into the pain zone, and only true love will keep you from selling your project before you are done.
I know of which I speak, after having my boat done by me and shipwrights for the last 6 months. The first real sail was last week, in which it had to come back and get another 5k worth of repairs.
They are not kidding when they say buget at least 3xs as much and twice the time to fix your boat.
But I do love my boat....
what he said^^^^^^--and then add another 5Xs for the unknowns--have a surveyor see the boat you like even tho is a project--many surveyors make lists of what needs to be done--is a decent guide for SOME of the work you will encounter--surveyor WILL be able to tell you if the project has potential or if you are just dreaming and hull is or isnt sound..keel--etc----goood luck......
Old 05-08-2009, 12:45   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Just like she said I had an excellent surveyor- (he still is) and he found about half of what we finally replaced. That said, with the survey I was able to go into the project with open eyes ...which is really what a survey is all about.
Old 05-08-2009, 13:10   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Just like she said I had an excellent surveyor- (he still is) and he found about half of what we finally replaced. That said, with the survey I was able to go into the project with open eyes ...which is really what a survey is all about.
and i bought my formosa anyway....LOL......
Old 05-08-2009, 13:13   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by maraberto View Post
in my reply:
"In my case, it was a so serious problem that I intent to open a big hole, a kind of trapdoor, in the cockpit floor. To acess the motor more easily --- I am too old to crawl in a low, narrow, opressing cavern above the cock."
I intend to say under the cock, bellow the cock. That is the problem of speaking or writing a language that is not the mine. Excuse me again. Magalhães
Hey you do not have to apologise for poor English. The main reason English became the predominant International language is that us Brits are too dumb to be able to speak or write in a different language. The fact that anyone can make themself understood in a language that is not their birth language has always impressed the heck out of me.
Old 05-08-2009, 17:07   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
A lot of CC designs rely on Hydraulic steering which isn't my favourite, hard one to overcome but some do.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: