Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-05-2016, 14:44   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Re: Cat Versus Mono - Single Handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Long time ago on a 42 foot cat in Kwaj lagoon on a blustery day. Did the one hull stand. Impressive. The rudders actually chattered. Speed well past 20 knots.
You must have been new to sailing a multi, you should have been reefed, or if caught out you should have eased head sail, bore away and reduced main tension progressively. You would/should have had plenty of room in Kwaj, it is impressively large. You learn these things over time, Its why novice sailors should always be slightly underpowered, But seriously I find you story very difficult, what was the design of the boat?

Old 17-05-2016, 14:52   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
You must have been new to sailing a multi, you should have been reefed, or if caught out you should have eased head sail, bore away and reduced main tension progressively. You would/should have had plenty of room in Kwaj, it is impressively large. You learn these things over time, Its why novice sailors should always be slightly underpowered, But seriously I find you story very difficult, what was the design of the boat?
I was a passenger on the boat. The owner, a mad german scientist, was showing off. Was duly impressed, even with the little rooster tails. Have no idea what the make was. Certainly was faster than the CD Typhoon i was playing with.

Old 17-05-2016, 15:52   #33
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Long time ago on a 42 foot cat in Kwaj lagoon on a blustery day. Did the one hull stand. Impressive. The rudders actually chattered. Speed well past 20 knots.

Sounds like a fun ride!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-05-2016, 16:50   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Sounds like a fun ride!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
It certainly was way out of my comfort zone. Use to race ranger 26, and with a big spinnaker, it use to slide right along; but the cat was way way faster. Hanged on for dear life.
Old 17-05-2016, 18:17   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Cats do demand more attention than a mono. Quicker in motion. A lot of folks seem to ignore the heeling motion, but when one hull lifts(and they do) out of the water you better be on the helm.
I've never been on a cruising cat that came anywhere near lifting a hull out
of the water.

And I doubt that many cruisers have. For that to happen, you need either incredibly bad luck or incredibly bad sailing skills.
Old 17-05-2016, 18:20   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Cruising or racing cat?

If the latter, the second alternative in my previous post clearly applies.
Old 18-05-2016, 04:43   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Summer 1 sailing in the Aegean, summer 2 in Australia (earning $ to pay for summer 1)
Boat: FP Lipari 42, Katmazu

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
I know the cat versus mono thing is old and worn out, but I used the search engine and didn't find any reference between the two for single handling. OK, it is probably there ten times, but I couldn't get anything to come up. Will only buy 1 boat when we retire, not gradually work up. We dive and have basic sailing (initial certifications and small lake sailing). The question is -- can you sail by yourself, alone, on the small catamarans. If one of us should pass, we wouldn't want a boat that the one remaining could not handle by themselves. That way they would have a choice to stay on the boat or get off, whatever they wanted to do -- not be forced to sell.

Aside from all the other discussions of cats vs. mono's, strickly on being able to sail single handed once they are set up for that, will it make much difference?
I find single handing on my 40' cat far easier than on my previous 37' mono. Much easier to move around the deck, a lot less tiring physically and during the day I can be inside in complete comfort navigating, cooking whatever and still able to see clearly all around me. If docking I always dock starboard to so it is easy to see from the helm (can spin the boat on the spot if I need to bring it onto that side) and have Med moored on my own although distance from helm to stern makes it harder. Dropping anchor easy, weighing anchor harder if blowing as have to go forward to ensure that I'm lined up but that is in part because the anchor chain roller is not visible from the helm. To pick up mooring I go stern to then transfer to bows at my leisure. All in all far more relaxing.

Good luck with your decision process.

TwT
Old 18-05-2016, 05:15   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
I was a passenger on the boat. The owner, a mad german scientist, was showing off. Was duly impressed, even with the little rooster tails. Have no idea what the make was. Certainly was faster than the CD Typhoon i was playing with.
Ah yes, the old second hand story
Old 18-05-2016, 18:42   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: ex-Tartan4100, now MS34 sedan

my thoughts for single handing anything:

good autopilot with wind-vane function
electric winch for main and electric windlass
easy sail handling without being on the deck a lot: roller furling or dutchman
get the smallest boat you are comfortable living on, not the biggest you can afford.
Old 19-05-2016, 06:14   #40

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
I know the cat versus mono thing is old and worn out, but ... The question is -- can you sail by yourself, alone, on the small catamarans. If one of us should pass, we wouldn't want a boat that the one remaining could not handle by themselves... Aside from all the other discussions of cats vs. mono's, strickly on being able to sail single handed once they are set up for that, will it make much difference?
Age, design & quality of the sailboat will have a lot to do with whether or not you'll be able to sail it alone. For $100K you can find a sound used 40 footer monohull sailboatlistings.com/view/57876 or sailboatlistings.com/view/51495 while for the same $100K you'll get a so so cat sailboatlistings.com/view/51008 or sailboatlistings.com/view/40616 . Among other things, a sailboat for reduce crew or single handling should have all its lines -sheets & halyards- ending in the cockpit, an electric windlass controlled from the bow or the cockpit etc, etc, etc... Good luck !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amphitryde-43.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	124564  
Old 20-05-2016, 19:10   #41
smo

Here are my thoughts. Sorry if I am getting off track but in florida this winter I saw many cats. Only once did any of the boats have a sail up and that was just the jib.

I got thinking. Instead of going thru all the work and cost of a sailing rig, why not design a motor cat with super efficient sleek hulls mated to just the right motor, one in each hull. Design it to cruise efficiently in calm seas at 12 knots. Betcha it would be stable riding. With minimal engines it might travel pretty cheaply and be able to get into pretty shallow water. Having done several 100 mile motoring sailboat deliveries, the trip in 8 hours instead of 16 seems pretty damn nice.

I sail a corsair f24 tri (mark 1 version)
My wife loves to take it for motors on the river. I call it my double wide pontoon in this mode.
Old 20-05-2016, 20:07   #42

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by smo View Post
Here are my thoughts. Sorry if I am getting off track but in florida this winter I saw many cats. Only once did any of the boats have a sail up and that was just the jib.

SNIP
One of those cats might have been mine. With a roller furler jib and lines led back to the helm even an old guy like me that has trouble getting around can easily single hand. Especially when I am just going out for an afternoon sail and the wind is in the right direction.

On the other hand I spent three months sailing from BKH to DT and back. Lots of stops between KW and DT. I did use the main a lot then. On that trip I used less than five gallons of gas in the three months so there was definitely more sailing than motoring.

While there can be issues with just using head sails on multihulls with no backstays if you keep tension on the main sheet and topping lift there should be no problem.

Another thing I would mention is lots of times you will see advice about multihulls just using a head sail, sometimes a reefed one, when running before the wind in heavy weather during a passage. It is fairly well established this is a good idea. When I first got my Seawind I use to sail out across the Gulf Stream and back on a day sail going hard to weather on the way out and running with the jib on the way back to get experience sailing just with the jib.

Just my two cents but I am happy every time I see someone out sailing no matter what sails are raised.
Old 20-05-2016, 20:15   #43

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

No wonder why single-hulled boats far outnumber multihulls.
Old 20-05-2016, 21:22   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you don't need to sleep and will be able to hang out in the cockpit to handle strong gusts and waves 24/7, a multi hull is a good single handed boat. The possibility of the boat turning turtle is enough reason for me that a multihull is not suitable as a single hander. The fact that they don't sink isn't enough to overcome the risk. Had an acquaintance whose trimaran flipped. He was never found and his crew drowned entangled in the rigging.
Old 20-05-2016, 22:39   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If you don't need to sleep and will be able to hang out in the cockpit to handle strong gusts and waves 24/7, a multi hull is a good single handed boat. The possibility of the boat turning turtle is enough reason for me that a multihull is not suitable as a single hander. The fact that they don't sink isn't enough to overcome the risk. Had an acquaintance whose trimaran flipped. He was never found and his crew drowned entangled in the rigging.
See Post #35.

Tags
single

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: