Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-08-2010, 17:53   #16

Boat: Cal 29
If money is no object I know a really old fart who is a whale of a sailing instructor. As good as he is, however, he can't get your boat from Leander, Tx to the gulf by water.

Old 18-10-2013, 09:59   #17

Boat: Vagabond 42
Send a message via AIM to Whispering Star
Re: Cart Before Horse ?

Well folks I started this thread 4 years ago and guess what. We love it. We started out in Maryland and have gone & done the East Coast. All along the way we have met so many helpful people with advise and no how. We did sailing lesson with everyone we could. The amount of advise we got was overwhelming at times. But you sift through it and take what you need apply it and WaLa. We have been through some rough weather at sea and at the dock. Just getting out there and doing it gives you more experience than someone explaining the woo's of it all. Don't get me wrong we are still what I would call a Newbe to it all, but I would not trade this for any amount of money. We have taken the time to stay in City's and explore the enormous amount of history in person. We were told not to go down the Dismal Swamp.. Guess what we did. It was wonderful. Stopped in Elizabeth City for the Rose Ladies, New Bern NC. There we got experience in how to do a complete bottom job yourself. Lived on the hard for a couple of months(yuck) I now know Savannah has the right feel for us if we decide to become landlubbers again (so Far) We will be leaving in the spring for the southern hemisphere. It will be slow going, as we still want to stop and see it all. Refitting in Florida & planning the next trip. All I can say is God has had his Hand on us all the way so far... Living and Loving it.

Old 18-10-2013, 10:13   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Star View Post
Well folks I started this thread 4 years ago and guess what. We love it. We started out in Maryland and have gone & done the East Coast. All along the way we have met so many helpful people with advise and no how. We did sailing lesson with everyone we could. The amount of advise we got was overwhelming at times. But you sift through it and take what you need apply it and WaLa. We have been through some rough weather at sea and at the dock. Just getting out there and doing it gives you more experience than someone explaining the woo's of it all. Don't get me wrong we are still what I would call a Newbe to it all, but I would not trade this for any amount of money. We have taken the time to stay in City's and explore the enormous amount of history in person. We were told not to go down the Dismal Swamp.. Guess what we did. It was wonderful. Stopped in Elizabeth City for the Rose Ladies, New Bern NC. There we got experience in how to do a complete bottom job yourself. Lived on the hard for a couple of months(yuck) I now know Savannah has the right feel for us if we decide to become landlubbers again (so Far) We will be leaving in the spring for the southern hemisphere. It will be slow going, as we still want to stop and see it all. Refitting in Florida & planning the next trip. All I can say is God has had his Hand on us all the way so far... Living and Loving it.
So glad you have had such a great experience!

Thanks for the feedback. Just shows that putting the cart first can work .
Old 18-10-2013, 10:48   #19

I think putting the cart before the horse happens more often and more successfully than a lot of the people on here care to admit.

You don't need 25 years of sailing your own home-made 14' boat off the horn in 45k winds to call yourself a sailor or get into the cruising life.

The concept of buying a yacht you like and living on it for a time while learning THAT boat is not new and it surely can work. Often.

80% of the life is living on the hook or at a marina, it makes sense to buy a boat for that and learn as you go.
Old 21-10-2013, 02:30   #20

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

+1 to posts 17, 18 and 19
Great work.
Cheers,
Mac
Old 16-11-2013, 16:57   #21

Boat: Morris Justine 36'

Star racing in club races. Find crew that have experience
Old 16-01-2014, 19:55   #22

Boat: S-2 9.2cc

Been on boats over 30 yrs. now. Started sailing last year, damn sick of gas and diesel prices. Bought our first sailboat, a 27' O'day and paid to learn(asa) spent all summer on it, sold this winter,bought a 30' S-2 cc, cannot wait. Learn on your own,that way you know where and how everything is. Don't like something about the boat, sell it. Like dorito's, they made more. If all works out as planned, we will be chasing you next fall. Gotta get away from old man winter.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: