Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2018, 12:48   #91

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: "Captain" and "Skipper" as honorifics

Wow. Six pages.

If you like, all y'all can take some of this energy and go post in my thread on which electronic charts to use.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 15:23   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
For the record, my own use of the term is only in jest.

That's the problem with jests to an unknown audience. Many people don't find them in the least bit funny.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 15:30   #93
cruiser

On board, my friends call me “Ken” which seems appropriate.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 06:46   #94

Boat: 37' O'Day center cockpit sloop

I'm a former FOR corpsman (navy) and grew up cruising. Any person that is control of the vessel is the Capitan. It is not honorific, it's the responsibility. He who is in control, is responsible for the vessel and all souls accord get. Thus the title of captain is correct and "earned"
fieldmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 07:00   #95

Boat: FP Bahia 46

I am a professional skipper. I take guests sailing on Sydney harbour. They have to call me something. Master is way over the top and captain is reserved for power boats and ships.
I guess I'm showing my age but I liked Gilligans island!
Ozifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 07:11   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldmedik View Post
I'm a former FOR corpsman (navy) and grew up cruising. Any person that is control of the vessel is the Capitan. It is not honorific, it's the responsibility. He who is in control, is responsible for the vessel and all souls accord get. Thus the title of captain is correct and "earned"
I agree with you up to your last sentence.
Unfortunately, too many people don't grasp the difference between title, honorific and position designator.

What you describe is a position designator, not a title. As such addressing someone as "captain" when they are performing the duties is perfectly acceptable,

Use of Captain as honorific or title (as in calling yourself or another person Captain Bigshot) is a different matter entirely and should only be used by/to those who have earned the title/honorific (and you certainly don't earn it by getting a USCG 6 pack).
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 07:50   #97

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

What is with the obsession with CG licenses? I have sailed across the ocean and back and forth to the Caribe numerous times. I have no license. I am, nevertheless, captain of my boat which means I am responsible for everyone's safety while afloat and will be the one the lawyers sue if I bash into another boat.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 08:25   #98

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
Yeah, that. Though, considering I was called Major in a former life, it's always felt a bit like a demotion.
Yep now its
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 09:10   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
My background, prior to my involvement in sailing, has been in environments where the use of honorifics (Mr., Mrs., sir., Dr., Prof., etc) is actively discouraged both in writing and in speech.

I certainly don't think that being master of my modest little craft entitles me to any sort of special social standing or linguistic treatment, and so I don't encourage anyone to address me as "captain" or "skipper." If someone addresses me in such a form, I tend to be skeptical of their motives and sincerity.

Do you encourage or discourage people from addressing you as "captain" or "skipper"? Do you use these forms of address when interacting with the masters of other boats? Why?
As a professional mariner of 30 years working in yacht deliveries, new owner orientation, as well as being a Coast Guard veteran, the first time a new client calls me Captain, I remind them that Captain is not my Christian name and to call me John... or Commodore... which ever they’re comfortable with. 😆😆😆
aeronautic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 09:14   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
What is with the obsession with CG licenses? I have sailed across the ocean and back and forth to the Caribe numerous times. I have no license. I am, nevertheless, captain of my boat which means I am responsible for everyone's safety while afloat and will be the one the lawyers sue if I bash into another boat.
Only difference is that you’re not carrying passengers for hire. Otherwise, you would need a MMD. Other than that, sail on skipper.
Old 31-08-2018, 09:20   #101

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Unfortunately, too many people don't grasp the difference between title, honorific and position designator.

What you describe is a position designator, not a title. As such addressing someone as "captain" when they are performing the duties is perfectly acceptable,

Use of Captain as honorific or title (as in calling yourself or another person Captain Bigshot) is a different matter entirely and should only be used by/to those who have earned the title/honorific (and you certainly don't earn it by getting a USCG 6 pack).
I agree with this. When on the boat and in command it is acceptable and sometimes appropriate. Off the boat no. If I see a Caddy in the parking lot with
"Captain Bob Blow" lettered on the driver's door I would not have any desire to meet the guy.

However, some slack is given to charter boat operators. When dealing with the general public "Captain Bob's Fishing Charters" seems fine to me.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 09:28   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

Uh, in the eyes of the governing body, the United States Coast Guard, an OUPV holder has the same authority and responsibility as a 1600 ton master. The only difference is time in sea service, size of vessel and number of passengers authorized. I know plenty of OUPV holders who are fine captains. And I know of 500 ton masters who I wouldn’t let valet park my Corvette.
Old 31-08-2018, 10:21   #103

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

I am with Seighlor on this. All the years having a 100 Ton license, never really comfortable being called captain. Skipper is okay while racing or group on board. Kinda keeps down the confusion around giving maneuvering instructions.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 11:09   #104

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

A related thought: I have noticed that some people think you are "putting on airs" if you use nautical terminology. While I definitely think that some people are guilty of this, there are a lot of things on boats that have had names for a thousand years and it isnt putting on airs to use them. It is easier to name things what they are rather than invent a new term using words the land people are more familiar with.

On the "captain" topic I am the captain on my boat and that has a particular meaning that is important. There can only be one captain on a boat that is sailing offshore - and it is important that everyone knows that. But actually making my crew CALL me "Captain"?

I much prefer the alternative someone mentioned above - I think I will make them all call me "Master" from now on. My wife especially will love that. (Or not? Perhaps I should think about this first ...)
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 11:29   #105

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLady View Post
I am with Seighlor on this. All the years having a 100 Ton license, never really comfortable being called captain. Skipper is okay while racing or group on board. Kinda keeps down the confusion around giving maneuvering instructions.
In all my years on the water confusion was avoided by using the name I was given.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, skipper