Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2018, 11:36   #106

Re: "Captain" and "Skipper" as honorifics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLady View Post
I am with Seighlor on this. All the years having a 100 Ton license, never really comfortable being called captain. Skipper is okay while racing or group on board. Kinda keeps down the confusion around giving maneuvering instructions.
“Single up all lines. Stand-by to take in 2 & 4.”
aeronautic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 11:39   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
A related thought: I have noticed that some people think you are "putting on airs" if you use nautical terminology. While I definitely think that some people are guilty of this, there are a lot of things on boats that have had names for a thousand years and it isnt putting on airs to use them. It is easier to name things what they are rather than invent a new term using words the land people are more familiar with.

On the "captain" topic I am the captain on my boat and that has a particular meaning that is important. There can only be one captain on a boat that is sailing offshore - and it is important that everyone knows that. But actually making my crew CALL me "Captain"?

I much prefer the alternative someone mentioned above - I think I will make them all call me "Master" from now on. My wife especially will love that. (Or not? Perhaps I should think about this first ...)
Speaking of putting on airs, I love walking into a West Marine and asking “where’s the scuttlebutt?”
aeronautic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 11:50   #108

Boat: Bavaria 36'

In Britain we tend to use “captain” for the paid person in charge. The “skipper” is the unpaid captain. However, “skipper” is often used as a more casual form for captain, for instance in the Royal Navy, although a junior rate saying “OK, Skipper” might not go down well. But between the crew they might use such as “the Skipper said....”.

On our leisure boats mostly we don’t worry but my boat is a syndicate of four friends and when we sail together we have “the skipper of the day” which is very useful when we need to blame someone for running out of water/fuel/coffee/toilet paper etc. Often leads to good natured teasing although running out of beer tends to be a crime fit for dunking. Thus the “skipper” appoints a “bosun”, “purser” and “deck-hand”, cook etc. But the “skipper” does the serious stuff like navigation, anchoring, berthing etc. It does sound quite serious but it is actually great as I like to cook and “engineer”. But (modestly) I am maybe the best navigator, engineer and boat handler so get called on to help out now and again.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 12:15   #109

Boat: Crowther 46’

Read the Col Regs then read the Jones Act. Whether you appreciate it or not you are a Captain and the responsibilities are ominous. As an admiralty Attorney, I asssire you that, based upon your level of liability, you “deserve” to be called “Captain”. The USCG knows it ... “Captain” is as Captain does. When things go wrong Captain means the buck stops with you. As we all know there are a lot of bucks lost on the water. Just wait til something bad happens. The term has significant meaning way beyond an honorific. It is also a horrorific when things go wrong. So, Captain, a toast to all the Captains out there... cheers! Might as well get the title with all that ominous burden.
Jimmy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 12:40   #110

Boat: Bavaria 36'

Your comment is serious stuff but my post says that essentially the skipper and the captain are merely names for the person in charge of the boat/ship. Indeed my comment pointed to the need to actually have one of the crew formally appointed as such a responsible person, whatever he or she is called. We do not all cowtow the USCG as the fount of all sea knowledge, whence the British Royal Navy did once and now, indupitally, that is the USN. (And Bowditch!) “Aye, Skipper, sink that damn U-boat before she sinks that Yankee aircraft carrier.” “Damn your insolence, I am the captain of this damn frigate, call me captain before I throw you in irons.” “Yes Captain, oh too late, there goes the another carrier, but happily it seems her Skipper as survived and wants a word with you.”
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 13:44   #111

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m

The Skipper abused Gilligan. The Captain always abandoned the Enterprise for the sake of landing parties.
surf_km55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 15:00   #112

Boat: SOLD our M/V HOPE Grand Banks 42 now we're Hopeless

Yes like it or not YOU ARE THE CAPTAIN!
With all rights and privileges ---------and LIABILITY pertaining to.

Respect you self and your responsibility.
Dr. Capt Chief Jim (Yea I have a few hang ups)
CaptJPMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 15:37   #113
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
In all my years on the water confusion was avoided by using the name I was given.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:20   #114

I have always been happy with "skipper" as denoting I have responsibility for the vessel. I never liked "captain" as I only have sailing qualifications and would never like to imply I am a fully qualified captain will all the years of training and experience that goes with it.
In the same way I would not call myself doctor if I was carrying out first aid on someone, I might be "doctoring" them but I would not be a doctor. If I were sailing in company with friends and suggesting the itinerary I wouldn’t call myself “admiral” either!
paul2884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:39   #115

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Seems any Muppet with a pulse can be a captain
Apparently

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:43   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2884 View Post
I have always been happy with "skipper" as denoting I have responsibility for the vessel. I never liked "captain" as I only have sailing qualifications and would never like to imply I am a fully qualified captain will all the years of training and experience that goes with it.
In the same way I would not call myself doctor if I was carrying out first aid on someone, I might be "doctoring" them but I would not be a doctor. If I were sailing in company with friends and suggesting the itinerary I wouldn’t call myself “admiral” either!
Technically, the term 'Doctor' only applies to Ph.D holders. It is a title assigned to the medical profession after 'doctoring' moved out of the Barbers shops....
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:11   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Technically, the term 'Doctor' only applies to Ph.D holders. It is a title assigned to the medical profession after 'doctoring' moved out of the Barbers shops....
And a few of those medico's get their noses out of joint when real/proper doctors use their titles correctly.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-09-2018, 02:12   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Seems any Muppet with a pulse can be a captain
Apparently

I was waiting for this one to surface, thanks for posting it
Old 01-09-2018, 02:17   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
And a few of those medico's get their noses out of joint when real/proper doctors use their titles correctly.
We had this discussion at medical school. A few of us as a joke decided to be addressed as Barber. At our graduation, attached to the diploma was a beautifully scripted note with the title (in my case) "......henceforth known as Barber weavis"..

I have fond memories of my teachers and their amazing sense of humour.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:34   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
That is pritty much what i was saying, being responsible for helming a boat doesn't make you a captain. Sticking a plaster on dosent make you a surgeon!
Im an electrician i object to someone reading a diy guide and calling themselves an electrician, i spent 3 years at collage to call myself that.
A captain probably spent a lot longer training to call themselves captain.
Skipper doesn't imply qualifications just responsibility. In the UK anyway may be different around the globe the use of captain seems more common in other nations?
paul2884 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, skipper