Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2018, 21:07   #61

Re: "Captain" and "Skipper" as honorifics

Quote:
Originally Posted by medevicerep View Post
I like it. Itís a good reminder that you are ultimately responsible for the safe operation of your boat and the welfare of all aboard.

Well-said. Even when someone else is on watch, I am still the skipper and I am responsible for the safety of my crew and vessel.

KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 21:24   #62

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I have to say I never thought much about it when I worked a real job and went joy riding on weekends, generally a marina queen. Now that I am retired and we live aboard, harbor hop the Caribbean, and we manage provisioning, customs, Immigration, repairs, logistics, navigation, passage and weather planning, maintenance etc. the moniker seems more natural. We routinely make decisions based on safety and security and the needs to have the vessel in certain places on time. We manage occasional guests and see to their enjoyment and transportation. As such, we are every bit as Captain as the guy on a bigger vessel wearing the white suit. We just aren’t hired or paid but our failure or success is nearly as important. It’s just the facts jack. I don’t expect to be addressed captain by our cruising community but it sometimes happens. It certainly doesn’t bother us when hailed by the dock crew or others on the radios.

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 07:42   #63

Boat: Catalina 30

The person in charge of a vessel (no matter the size) is 'THE CAPTAIN'. Being in charge does not mean {s}he is 'A CAPTAIN'. Therefore unless you are ranked as a captain in the military or secured a captain's certificate, you can not use the honorific 'CAPTAIN'.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 08:44   #64

I Don't know why this thread is ongoing it has been made perfectly clear that when in charge of a vessel according to the rules of the sea and your own countries s territorial waters you are THE CAPTAIN this defines you as in charge and responsible for the boat and the crew and any legal implications , as posted above you are not A CAPTAIN if you do not like to be called captain then you really shouldn't be on the water as it shows that you are incapable of taking responsibility for your vessel
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 09:08   #65

Captain - noun
Translation - The one we're going to hang when everything goes to $%^&*
PatMc57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 09:20   #66

Within the confines of my vessel, I am the captain and can be addressed as such at your option.

However, I'm known as the skipper by numerous marina owners up and down the coast.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 09:22   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMc57 View Post
Captain - noun
Translation - The one we're going to hang when everything goes to $%^&*
That's why the Captain is usually the guy with white hair.
Last week while walking past the pot shop a young man greeted me with "good morning, officer", sometimes you look like a Skipper, sometimes the Captain, maybe.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 09:24   #68

Once upon a time, there were manners and politeness. It is a small thing, but it is the stuff civility and civilization itself is made of.

Knowledgeable people addressed the Master of a commercial vessel by calling him "Captain" because they knew he had the license and had the qualifications to be so addressed.

The Master of a private vessel was addressed as "Skipper". An informal honorific that was more personnel, respectful, and practical than just using the boat name, or "hey you"

That is the formulation I use whenever I am on the radio. I wonder how the OP thinks I SHOULD address the Master of the cruiseship I am discussing passing arrangements with? Somehow "Dude" just doesn't cut it...

That seems to have gone all to hell. Now even the USCG refers to everyone driving a boat as "Captain".

As a licensed Captain, in a formal situation where the other person does not know my name, yes, I expect to be addressed as "Captain." "Skipper" works too. If you do not know my name, what else do you call me?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 09:43   #69

Hey you on the big boat who is in charge and fully responsible and legally in charge just seems a bit to long for my liking
how about big yen or Dude or Numpskull ,we use one name (i.e captain or skipper which implies the same meaning to stop confusion, like I said before if this don't make sense to those, then you really shouldn't be on the water ge whiz why don't we change our col reg rules around a bit to to suit the needs of those in confusion for them to understand
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 11:55   #70

"Ahoy there...My name is CAPTAIN Small Package. Oh wait.....CAPTAIN isn't my name, it's my TITLE!...just wanted you to know that and believe in it."

"CAPTAIN Small Package...that's what I am. I AM Captain Small Package!!"

Hey, there's a few in my industry too...not many but a few. Short stature accompanied by a HUGE watch and the ever present CAPTAIN'S hat is a clue.
Old 26-08-2018, 12:47   #71

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
That's why the Captain is usually the guy with white hair.
Ahem Usually, but not always.

This is a funny thread because I'm having a similar discussion with friends about the use of "Hey Guys" or something more gender neutral, but fraught with cultural baggage like "Y'all." Some people can get way too bent out of shape over trivial matters when others really don't mean to offend. So if you don't like being called captain, then just say, please call me <name>. If the other person insists on using the term you have already asked them not to use, then it's demeaning and they're not someone I'd want to keep around as a friend anyway.

It also reminds me of a beautiful story of an ex-con/former drug addict/recovering alcoholic who started an inner city baseball team with a bunch of young boys from broken homes in a very rough neighborhood. When they started calling him "coach" (he never asked for the title) and they started laughing at each other's silliness rather than beating each other up, this tough ex-con found the word touched his heart in ways he never knew existed. So don't discount an honorific. Sometimes it's just earned the hard way.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 13:19   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
The person in charge of a vessel (no matter the size) is 'THE CAPTAIN'. Being in charge does not mean {s}he is 'A CAPTAIN'. Therefore unless you are ranked as a captain in the military or secured a captain's certificate, you can not use the honorific 'CAPTAIN'.
I have a mild aversion to ex military and politicians being addressed by their former rank. Mr president should be reserved for the current person.

Im a former military Captain. One of my colleagues is a former Colonel... in his 70s now and is still addressed by his rank.... except by me...

I accept Captain by officials when dealing with paperwork and quick exchanges for example, bridge openings, because its a habit they got into when dealing with volumes of boats. I accept it if is an important exchange that affects the person in charge of a vessel.......me.

But in general, its my first name or "oy you!".........
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 13:56   #73

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

I've found that the person at the helm is addressed as "Captain" by dockhands, or at bridges & locks. It seem obvious and practical, implying nothing more than identifying the person driving the boat. I like it better than, "yo, you nutcase trying to wreck your boat and kill us all."

Using titles such as Doctor, Mr., Mrs., Professor, Coach, Sensi, and others, is a show of respect which usually earns respect in return. Failing to use titles in some circumstances, can have unfortunate outcomes; see, "officer," or "your Honor."

Fair winds,

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 14:56   #74
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Be like Skipper (Gilliganís Island).

(Be) Not like the other two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0427E52C-FAB2-43DA-91F4-ADD469DB7692.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	176184   Click image for larger version

Name:	427D7003-7A87-456A-9B77-78CA17D82679.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	176185  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AD4CACF8-24CD-41A1-B8EB-98BD17ED8122.png
Views:	26
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	176186  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 15:16   #75

Boat: Rafiki 37

There's the problem. "I don't get no respect!" Unless I'm called Captain

Seriously. I guess it depends on location. Captain is used for lack of a better term when someone doesn't know your name. But the only pleasure boat people who use this term seriously are the same ones wearing goofy Captain hats and sporting sailor whites.

I'm currently in Newfoundland -- a seafaring land if ever there was one. No one calls pleasure craft operators "Captain"; except in jest.

Tags
captain, skipper