Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 05:43   #16

Boat: Herreshoff 45 Second Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has produced an "umbrella" that you can push through the hole, inflate and then pull back against the hull.
Actually, I have an orange umbrella that came with the boat for plugging holes. Looks very similar to a regular umbrella, shove it through the hole, open, and pull back up. Not sure how effective it is as I've never had to use it.

Regards,
Carl
2ndstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:17   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
We now carry a can of that expanding building foam. Whilst I don't think its going to seal a hole, it might fill an under bunk space especially if its sprayed into a plastic bag. As already mentioned GRP is going to fracture in long splits so access from the inside could be really difficult if its behind built in furniture. Our Storm jib is rigged with its own sheets ready so could be used.

The one other scenario is a through hull failing. Most of ours are between the two keels, so no chance of getting the storm jib to cover those, but wooden plugs should.

Mark, I am suprised you don't carry a storm jib. With the European economies in tatters might be a good time to price one up, should be deals to be done and especially as you will be exporting it, so no VAT.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:04   #18

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Forespar also makes a foam damage control plug to replace bags of pine plugs. This thing is kind of large, and you can squeeze and shove it into nearly any shape of hole and it'll expand to fill the hole, be it round or elongated in shape.

Granted, it'll only work up to a certan size. The belly-band would then come into play. We used these on submarines when we had to perform work in the ballast tanks while the boat was still in the water.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:20   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Pete7 - that is why I carry a very large crowbar and some pry-bars on board. You never know when you might just need to "rip" away something in a hurry especially when a few hundred or thousand(s) of mile out to sea.
- - The cheap poly tarps sold in Home Depot and other home and hardware stores will work just fine and be smeared with 5200 and doubled if necessary. Suction caused by outside water pressure should keep the "tarp" in place until you can devise something that will stay in place while the boat is moving.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:45   #20

We have a colission mat, no experiences and hopefully we keep it that way.

We have two part underwater putty as well. Bonds quick, adheres underwater.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:23   #21

Boat: contessa 32
Re: Canvas to Slow Leaks ?

Tried the forespar foam plug after removing the speedo while in the water. Big fire hose effect when plug pulled ,but the foam plug worked instantly. You tube has a video showing how to handle longer cracks. I keep a coffee can full of wax for a toilet ring seal that I believe would work well on inside or outside application.Same stuff that is commercially available but at much lower price ; you tube can find you a video on this wax as well.
The whole concept of collision mats seems flawed ,I'm not surprised no one has ever an written of their successful application in any but the most benign conditions' which is hardly when a hole will suddenly appear in you hull.Lacking anything else, plastic bags or cushions shoved into a hole from either side might save the day.
It seems to me that just finding the hole in a flooding cabin from the inside could be the hardest part ( don't ask how I know). But I will not be jumping over the side with my collision mat at O'Dark thirty into an angry sea as my sinking craft rolls over me .
One hell of an argument for access to all pasts of the vessel.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:53   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have wood plugs, spare smallish sails and toilet seal wax, as well as 2 part epoxy stuff for wetwork. praying i never need to emergently use these items...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:26   #23

Yes, it's so so true. Tools are of no use IF you don't know how to us them...BUT, having the right tool is a start and a very necessary one.. Learning to use the tool is what ends up making the difference..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:23   #24

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
.... But I will not be jumping over the side with my collision mat at O'Dark thirty into an angry sea as my sinking craft rolls over me .
The better designed collision mats IMO can (hopefully) be deployed without going into the water by pulling them under the boat with their attached lines. and then securing them in position with those lines.

Heavy vinyl triangle with 20' lines spliced into the 3 corners. Sorry I couldn't find a pic.
Old 03-05-2012, 16:17   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

one can never have too much old line/rope on board. never know whenye may have to keelhaul someone or place a collision mat under hull.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 16:47   #26

Boat: Ohlson 38

I've watched several videos in which various methods of emergency water stoppage were tested. I'll try to locate them in a bit. update: heres a link to a video:

I've gotta find those videos...be back later.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 17:05   #27

Here's another one that shows what happens during a capsize as viewed from inside. Very cool!

Old 03-05-2012, 17:10   #28

Old 04-05-2012, 07:08   #29

For those who have a collision mat, or have thought about using a storm jib for that purpose, have you ever practiced? I would think that, given the speed with which it would have to be deployed in order to be effective, knowing ahead of time what to do and how it will need to be handled would be extremely worthwhile. Not unlike the MOB drills we should all be practicing now and then.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:31   #30
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
I've watched several videos in which various methods of emergency water stoppage were tested. I'll try to locate them in a bit. update: heres a link to a video:

I've gotta find those videos...be back later.
I just spent 15 minutes searching for that clip! Thanks ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas