Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 13:53   #1

Boat: Cal 31, 31.5'
Cal 31 yaws and rocks badly when sailing in waves

Our Cal 31 is great in light winds and small waves, but yaws and rocks very badly when under sail when running or on broad reach in anything above 2'. It has been so bad my wife won't sail outside in anything more than a light breeze (it frankly bothers me too). The hull is shallow, similiar to our previous Catalina 30 but very much more sensitive to waves.

Can you direct me to a good source for sailing strategies to mitigate the rocking and yawing? I heard the boat was tender but never expected it to be worse than the Catalina.

If there aren't good strategies, I am going to get another sailboat. In that even would like some input on sailboats 34 to 40' that are more sea-kindly. I am retired so have plenty of time for a slower boat and usually singlehand.
Cal31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 15:44   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Cal 31 yaws and rocks badly when sailing in waves

My boat likes to rock and roll going downhill too but not as much in the yawing I suspect. Still, I am guessing you are finding this in lighter air with short period waves, right? Probably in shallower water close to shore? In any case, you can't really change the hull dimensions, but you can add more ballast or make sure fuel and water are topped off at least as a start. Also, try using only the genoa going downwind (main furled), and broad reach more than run. That should ameliorate some of the yawing and, if there is a good breeze and she is heeled a bit, the rolling. You can try that as a start, good luck and let me know if that works.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 16:22   #3

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Steer to keep the boat under the stick.

And you might enjoy reading this month's Max Ebb column from Latitude 38: see attached.
Old 06-04-2019, 18:29   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Steer to keep the boat under the stick.

And you might enjoy reading this month's Max Ebb column from Latitude 38: see attached.
Love Lat 38, but "works great on a Laser"???
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 07-04-2019, 07:50   #5

Don C L, thank you very much for the great reply! You diagnosed the situation perfectly...definitely short period waves close to shore in shallower water (30 feet or less). In most cases wind was 10 kts or less. Heading into the Dry Tortugas, FL in 30' depth the waves were 4-6' and short period. Lost complete control of boat, yawed heavily and rolled hard about every eigth wave (seems like the waves had some sort of pattern going). Going back there,without wife, in two weeks. Will let you know how your suggestions work out. One more note about our boat is that it seems to ride higher in the stern where the under-body is shallower than bow. Maybe put more ballast in the stern?
Old 07-04-2019, 07:58   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Have you tried moving the CE forward when reaching or running?

Granted our boat has a very different hull shape and sail plan, but I’ve found that reducing sail aft and keeping sail forward greatly improves tracking while running.

In your case, deeply reef or eliminate the main in these conditions and keep a full headsail. This will keep the bow down and prevent the stern fro sliding around.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:16   #7

Alan Mighty, very interesting article. I will have to study it more to work through the maneuver mentioned (hard kick to port on stbd. roll, etc.). I have a wheel as well and agree a tiller would give a more immediate response.

I had a Cal 35 Cruiser prior to this boat, which handled seas quite well. Dumb me...I was so in love with the 35, snapped up the 31 without doing homework. If could find another 35 cruiser in reasonable shape, would trade.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:27   #8

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
but you can add more ballast or make sure fuel and water are topped off at least as a start. Also, try using only the genoa going downwind (main furled), and broad reach more than run. That should ameliorate some of the yawing and, if there is a good breeze and she is heeled a bit, the rolling. You can try that as a start, good luck and let me know if that works.
Ballast needs to be added as high up and as much outwards as possible. The reason for the behaviour is probably that the boat is too stiff. Flat bottom, too much form stability.

Also, try to move weight aft.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:29   #9

Sailmonkey, haven't consciously moved CE forward, but tried various combinations (main up or down, etc.). Last trip across Charlotte Harbor broad reached in choppy waves ran only genoa on stbd. side and sheeted it tighter so it didn't flap on the roll to port. Seemed to help some. Good thought.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:35   #10

Martin R, my observations seem to agree with moving weight aft. Never been pooped, so seems like following waves are picking the stern, and rudder, up and just tossing it.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:46   #11

I checked out the design, this is reminiscent of an IOR yacht, they tend to be a little like this. Easy to broach. First lesson for sailing downwind: Don´t. Tack downwind. Find an angle that suits. Correct sail trim is important. Try to boom out the genoa. Speed is normally of help. The faster the boat goes, the longer the apparent wave period. same if you go more upwind, the apparent wave period increases. Depending on boat, normal jibe angle is through about 60 degrees.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:37   #12

Boat: 1978 Cal 2-27

Are you sure you have let the mainsail out far enough?

Remember "When in doubt, let it out".

I think broad reaching with a mainsail too close to the centerline will exacerbate the rounding up/broaching.
rickmartyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal31 View Post
Don C L, thank you very much for the great reply! You diagnosed the situation perfectly...definitely short period waves close to shore in shallower water (30 feet or less). In most cases wind was 10 kts or less. Heading into the Dry Tortugas, FL in 30' depth the waves were 4-6' and short period. Lost complete control of boat, yawed heavily and rolled hard about every eigth wave (seems like the waves had some sort of pattern going). Going back there,without wife, in two weeks. Will let you know how your suggestions work out. One more note about our boat is that it seems to ride higher in the stern where the under-body is shallower than bow. Maybe put more ballast in the stern?
Yeah, in general, downwind, weight should be aft to keep the bow up. Do you have a lot of chain up in the bow? Do you have a chain locker? Those tend to put the chain (and anchor) weight out ahead of the bow, well, the waterline. Better to move it back if you can.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 07-04-2019, 09:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmartyn View Post
Are you sure you have let the mainsail out far enough?

Remember "When in doubt, let it out".

I think broad reaching with a mainsail too close to the centerline will exacerbate the rounding up/broaching.
Of course, turbulent air detaches randomly. Good trim is essential for a nice sailing boat.

Also, you could try to rake the mast a little aft. Gives a little more lift to the bow.This is a masthead rig, so will probably not be a big change, but many small things together.

Use the boom vang. You do not want excessive twist in the main.

Also, the steering makes a big difference. Anticipate the movements of the boat, compensate, follow along. Takes practice. If you are on the same course more than 3 seconds in waves you are doing something wrong;-)
Old 07-04-2019, 10:25   #15

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Sailboat data, says your 41ft. Mast 10'Beam,
Yeah that's gonna skid around in a following sea.
Don't sail directly downwind.
Keep most of your weight in the aft.
Smaller corrections in steering to counter the Yaw.
Sometimes you just need a small push of the wheel or tiller at the right time to correct.
Takes getting used to.
Cheers
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, sail, sailing