Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-12-2015, 13:59   #16

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Buy a strong boat.

After watching this video a second time, it appears the jib has little effect on the forward motion of the boat since it is the force of the wave train that is providing the majority of the vessel's forward thrust. Secondly, in the last frame of the video, the boat is clearly abeam to the seas--a dangerous place to be in that wave train. The only fail safe is that the wave tops are not breaking on a regular basis. I have experienced waves that large in the Caribbean but certainly not waves that were that closely spaced. Perhaps the vessel was in relatively shallow water or skirting a sound. I still would opt for more positive boat speed if I were the captain. That vessel's course is too uncertain for me.

Old 03-12-2015, 14:26   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The water seems to be a bit of a washing machine for sure. Video always seems to make the water look less violent though. I've been in a lot bigger, but much more organized, waves. big breakers, but evenly spaced and coming from the same direction. The jib would almost always go slack in the trough in those.
yeah, the camera goes off just when he turns broadsides!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:54   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I'd definitely be a little green around the gills if I were on that boat in those seas. The video was too short to really tell much but I'm not the most expert sailor on this forum. At least the boat did not jibe (during the vid at least). The jib did seem full so there was enough wind for that and you could see some wind evident in the wave tops so it was more than just breezy. If it had me I would have put up at least some mizzen to help minimize the yawing. With a storm foresail instead of the big jib. But I wasn't there and don't know how it started or progressed. It was certainly rough enough that doing much of anything on deck would have been hazardous to a high degree. Pretty darn steep seas with very short periods for sure.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:17   #19

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

I understood that the crew were down below undertaking a repair on some equipment - maybe the motor.
Wouldn't that be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
Old 04-12-2015, 09:22   #20

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Cheech,
Did you notice the boat appeared to be under-canvassed as it struggled through the short, steep waves? It barely had steerage. Hardly an enjoyable daysail.
The crew is below fixing a leak. (I believe is what I read a while back)

They didn't spend a whole lot of time worrying over sail set up because it would appear the leak took priority. Their setup with the jib though does appear to be working quite well while they make repairs

The video was taken by the SAR Helo.

The crew did get the problem repaired, and the boat came in on it's own.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:36   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Too little sail up. She is suffering.

b.
Old 04-12-2015, 13:49   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The crew is below fixing a leak. (I believe is what I read a while back)

They didn't spend a whole lot of time worrying over sail set up because it would appear the leak took priority. Their setup with the jib though does appear to be working quite well while they make repairs

The video was taken by the SAR Helo.

The crew did get the problem repaired, and the boat came in on it's own.
That's right, do you remember where the video is from and/or what boat that is?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 15:05   #23

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

I'd say they'd be thinking about how strong the hull is - the big hits sound pretty alarming in these conditions. And those big hits can go on for hours, leading to 2 simultaneous threads of thought "by god this hull is tough" and "wonder if it will finally break this time?"
Old 06-12-2015, 05:09   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
That's right, do you remember where the video is from and/or what boat that is?
Here it is with story:

even this little video is already older (actually from 1997) and coz it will be forever here, i would like to add the real story behind it. Otherwise the guessing comments would partial misleading forever... Maybe you guys should know that a) in nm, this Abeking & Rasmussen classic 12mR yacht from the 30'th went already a couple of times round the world, has no engine and still goes strong for ocean trips. b) coming just from a great trip crossing the Atlantic, they got caught by a fast approaching weather front with up to 12 bft, at the North-Sea just 'in front' of their homeport, so to say. In the middle of the night they got struck by a giant wave which partially capsized the boat, mast into the sea. Lucky no mast broke but the mizzen as also some deck structures including the doghouse were seriously damaged. some crew was also servere injured, good thing this crew sailed always with med on board. Because of incoming water and unclear situation, they rightly radioed a distress call (later it was clear no damage to the ships structure, water came in 'only' through the cockpit hatch). The video was taken in the aftermath of the storm by the German SAR ship 'Wilhelm Kaysen" which accompanied the yawl the last 60 miles to Helgoland Island, which it reached finally on its own. The earlier approaching SAR Helicopter pilot told me later that he was surprised that, even as it doesn't looks like, the boat made still about 10 knots in the right direction. I have still about 3 hours of this video; clearly an amazing boat! (brought it 3 days later from the island to the shipyard)

found below this video on youtube:

(click address above video for full view and story)

Old 06-12-2015, 05:42   #25

More info on Anita (featured in the video and story above:

12 Metre Class | Yacht ANITA

More video on Anita:

Old 09-12-2015, 07:21   #26

More on the 12 Metre Class Yacht Anita:

The History of the 12M Yacht
Old 09-12-2015, 14:51   #27

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Excellent, thanks for that Thomm!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 15:13   #28
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I learned nothing from than video. When you can see the sailboat it doesn't look like it is taking much pounding and looks to just be riding it out. I would bet the people on it aren't all that happy, but I suspect the boat that was making the video is having a rougher ride than the sailboat is.
Old 09-12-2015, 16:27   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I learned nothing from than video. When you can see the sailboat it doesn't look like it is taking much pounding and looks to just be riding it out. I would bet the people on it aren't all that happy, but I suspect the boat that was making the video is having a rougher ride than the sailboat is.
The video is awesome but the music makes it even more so. The music is timed so perfectly that it gives you the feeling that the boat simply refuses to go down. (and it has already taken one knockdown)

The sailboat Anita is sailing through waters that a hurricane recently passed in the North Atlantic.

I have seen this video many, many times over the passed few years but after "reading" the real story it's even more impressive. Reading in quotes to give sailorboy1 a clue

Of course, maybe it's not as tough as sailing in the protected northern Chesapeake Bay in 6-10 knot winds like Sailorboy1 does on his 41' Hunter sailboat but tough never the less.

Btw, it was a ship that was "making" the video

Hey SailorBoy1 go check the measurements of the boat then think about the size of the waves.

Geez, look again Sailorboy. Not much of a pounding!?

This guy is awesome, and I have no more proper words (but) The waves do tell quite a different story, and these are the ones left after it has laid down a bit

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: