Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2016, 19:11   #1

Bow Thrusters

Ok, I don't know if this is the right category for this topic. Anyway: We will be purchasing a new sailboat in the near future. My wife and I are in our mid to late 60's and my wife has difficulties with grabbing moorings, docking, etc., She dosen't like being at the controls during these manuvers but has poor arm strength, etc. Your opinions on bow thrusters, please.?
sailorjed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 19:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40
Re: bow thrusters

I'm in process of installing a unit on my 40' boat. Hope to be done in 2-3 weeks. I've struggled to use my boat locally as I get older for exactly the same reasons. It's a simple install, if you're thinking about at all, go for it.
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 19:33   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Get it. For years I had chartered boats w/o one. My first boat was 38' with a bowthruster already on it. After a couple of dockings at night or in windy conditions or strong current, and especially when the crew is tired, what was once a frivolous luxury became an absolute necessity. You can power right up to and right off pilings, docks, piers, etc., making you wife feel safe and therefore comfortable. Have one on my present boat as well. Allows for tighter turns in a fairway if needed. Once your wife uses it, you'll be the anchoring party/deckhand.

It's a no-brainer.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 19:59   #4
Marine Service Provider

Re: Bow Thrusters

Tell us about what type of boat you are considering and where you plan to sail.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 20:19   #5

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjed3 View Post
We will be purchasing a new sailboat in the near future.
A sailboat ... What make / model? Length?
At 60' it makes a lot more sense then on 30' boats.

Where will you be docking / anchoring?
Any locks you'll be going through regularly?
Old 10-03-2016, 21:42   #6
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Bow thrusters certainly make docking and undocking easier. Purists will talk about using springs to maneuver the boat around instead. Of course this is possible, but for short handed crew finding docking intimidating, being able to put the boat where one wishes, solely from the helm, is a major convenience.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 21:53   #7

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Installation "easy"? There are 4 types of thrusters I'm aware of: tunnel mount, external pod, high volume pump with hoses, and retractable. Seems like retractable is not feasible for most sailboats since the width of the flange is pretty large, 9" wide in the case of of the one needed for my 46' ketch, and I don't see how that could be nicely flared into the V of the hull forward. External pod type has simple installation but looks like a great way to catch up on all sorts of flotsam or fishing lines, and easily damaged plus lots of drag. The high volume pump with hoses sounds easy to install but it must be very inefficient since all that water for thrust has to pass through several feet of curved hose of smaller diameter than a tunnel, and maybe even an elbow or two. Than leaves tunnel mount I guess the only one that makes sense. I am not shy about cutting into the hull but in case of a bad measurement, whatever, I prefer to leave this for the pros at the yard.

That said, I am seriously considering a bow thruster on my 46' ketch for all of the reasons given by others. I think I would take the boat out a lot more if I didn't have that last 18 seconds of near panic wondering if I started my final turn at just the right place to get into the slip cleanly. Plus I would then be able to get into places I used to feel confident going with my Cal29.

Just wonder if anyone installed one on a Morgan 462? If so, what type and model, and about where in the bow is it located? I see a problem with getting the necessary 7" below waterline and the current location of my forward holding tank.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 22:06   #8

Boat: Ohlson 29

How can people just say "go for it" when they know *nothing* about the boat or about their experience & location?

Some of the posts here make it seem like a bowthruster is a great idea on any size boat, and, as a bonus, will almost magically park the boat for you. Sadly, if you aren't very good at boat handling, a BT will only do so much. See it almost every day here in the marina, even with smaller boats. Very entertaining

Now the OP could very well be a very experienced sailor who is great at boat handling but has valid concerns handling a big boat at their age.
In the OP it says "new boat" which probably means new as in brand new, which makes it likely it's a bigger boat - in which case it's probably a good idea.

But, we could also be advising someone still (relatively) new to boating to put a BT on a 25' new-to-them boat ...
Old 10-03-2016, 22:46   #9

Boat: Eista Krammer

Our 23' boat went without a bow thruster for a good 40 years. With the big rudder she can turn on a dime and we owned and sailed her for 10+ years like that. Then came the moment we had the old diesel taken out and replaced by a new one. The installer made us an offer on a 37kgf electric bow thruster install we just couldn't refuse. Not for the money ánd the fact that if we didn't do it there-and-then we probably wouldn't do it ever.

We're not getting any younger and even while she handled very nice without a thruster we're very pleased with it now. Lots of locks to pass in Holland and Belgium and there it does make a difference and life a bit easier. I'd would say go for it !