Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2014, 07:39   #1

Boat: Stevens 47
Bow thrusters...

Considering the installation of a bow thruster on our Stevens 47....any comments on good and bad? Which manufacturers, if any, stand out above the others?

Pros and cons?

Any sailboat owners in the 45 to 50 foot range with a bow thruster your comments would be greatly appreciated....it's a big $$$ item, how well do they really work when the winds are working against you when docking?

Thanks!!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 07:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Bow thrusters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
Considering the installation of a bow thruster on our Stevens 47....any comments on good and bad? Which manufacturers, if any, stand out above the others?

Pros and cons?

Any sailboat owners in the 45 to 50 foot range with a bow thruster your comments would be greatly appreciated....it's a big $$$ item, how well do they really work when the winds are working against you when docking?

Thanks!!

gunk
HolyCrimeny gunk...

A thruster will change your life.... Sure you can live without one, but I wouldn't want to with a heavy boat over 45'

I don't use it a ton, but when ya need it, it will make your grin visible from 5 docks away...

Yes... a big expense... Don't know what I got as it was original build...
Cons... $$ and if you count on it when your batts are down=make a separate bank, or tie to your windlass bank if you have one...

Pro's... I can spin a 50' 20 ton boat around like a windmill from it's stern...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 08:06   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

With a single screw it is worth it if you want to spend the money.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 08:22   #4

Thanks for the comments guys....

gunk
Old 19-10-2014, 09:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
Thanks for the comments guys....

gunk
No problemo man!

Personally I would still go with a tube trough hull... But they are making strides on externally mounted... There's a few threads here on those if you do some digging...

PS... anybody on the dock is also immediately drawn to the WAAAAAA.... of a thruster bump... Knows exactly what it was... And wished they had one...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 10:23   #6

Boat: 44'
Gunk,

A lot of purists would say it's not necessary, that with practice you can learn your boat and it's habits under power in fwd and reverse, even a single screw can be enough to move a boat nearly within its own length. Ours is able to do it, owing to its deep fin and deep rudder not to mention lg Perkins. BUT.....

when we spent 4 years refitting, we had an opportunity to do it and after much consideration we went ahead and fitted a Side Power Thruster. The main argument FOR it was the fact that it allows an option in those moments at the dock where wind and current are less than ideal, not to mention tight quarters in unfamiliar marinas.

We chose an internal/tube design because it's less the thruster and more the tube, it's location on the hull and DISTANCE BELOW WATERLINE that give you the power you need to move a heavy boat laterally. External designs lack the tube, the ability to specify the ideal location and IMHO create more resistance in the water.

We chose to create an eyebrow IN FRONT of the tube opening on the hull rather than a teardrop shape behind it after much research which suggested to me it was more hydrodynamic. This can be argued.

I use it more than I probably need to, to keep it cleared of growth, lubed and operational, but it's a convenience more than a necessity.

In all honesty, if you have any talent with glass you could even do it yourself. We had ours done professionally while other hull work was already underway.
Jehoshaphat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 10:31   #7

Boat: 44'

Photos of the installation and eyebrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0369.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	89986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0367.jpg
Views:	2257
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	89987  

Jehoshaphat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 10:57   #8

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Due to my hull being carvel planked over frames (2 1/4" on 9" centers) using the typical tunnel type thruster would be difficult. I am looking at a type that uses more of a jet ski thruster. Nozzles much smaller than with the more traditional type. hollandmarineparts.nl

The price is hefty. I have been looking at off the shelf components to make my own. Not sure I can pull it off, tho
Old 19-10-2014, 11:17   #9

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

I have a Vitus bowthruster on my Catalina 400 (a 40' boat). I don't use it a lot, but when I do, it is really nice.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 11:26   #10

Jehoshaphat - That is a sweet looking instalation !
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 12:13   #11

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

While I was dry docked for an extensive refit I installed a Side Power bow thruster. I got a deal I couldn't pass up on the motor and worked with Side Power on purchasing the leg, prop, tube, etc. They were awesome to work with and sold me demo parts from a recent boat show at less than half price. I ended up installing it myself after a lot of internet research. There was definitely some pucker factor as I was cutting a 10" hole thru the hull! I put a lot of thought on wiring and ended up installing an 8D AGM battery forward in the sail locker. The bow thruster is 12V and the windlass is 24V so I incorporated a 12VDC to 24VDC converter into the circuit. All in all I am very happy with the installation and the performance is amazing. Like the majority of equipment on a modern sailboat you could live without it but it sure makes docking in tight quarters a lot less stressful for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0899.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	89988   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0901.jpg
Views:	1009
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	89989  

Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 12:51   #12

Some great comments, I appreciate what has been put forth so far. Some beautiful sailboats in those pics!

We've had the Stevens for 3 weeks now....I haven't been perfect so far in backing into our assigned dock here in Pensacola, but have done quite well most of the time. Small adjustments, watch the power goes a long way.

We said when we bought her we would try without a bow thruster, but after yesterday's lesson from Mother Nature, I am really inclined to spend the mega bucks and get it done. I was really hoping not to, but...yesterday was just plain not nice.

I fear hitting someone else's yacht..and doing damage. Not what I'm here for.

So...Lawrence? Vetus? SidePower? Which is best, or is there a clear cut heads above the competition brand out there?

Another question, has anyone used Florida Bow Thrusters for an install?

gunk
Old 19-10-2014, 13:17   #13

I've only has Sidepower in three sailboats and been happy. They seem to have the largest share of the 40-50ft boats. Their installation manuals are online. Make sure you can meet the spec for depth and length.

The 12v or 24v question is worth thinking about. I've always done 12v with a battery forward. Its very hard to get enough amps with a long cable run. Converting between 12v and 24v always seemed to have "gotchas".

Get a big one. You'll sometimee need to fight a crosswind. I was once told by a guy who knows about such things that the drag from the tube on a sailboat is minimal because the tunnel is normally submerged (unlike a planing powerboat where the tube goes in and out of the water a lot). Submerged, it's just a solid tube of static water that creates no turbulence to water flowing along the hull. I don't know if this is correct but it sounds possible.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 13:40   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Since some folks here have had the thrusters installed in older boats (that did not have them already), I would like some idea of what the costs are for the total package including the yard work (labor) to install. Rough estimates are OK, but would be helpful to know. In short, what you would budget to include one on an older boat during refit. Please indicate whether you include a separate battery etc.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 16:44   #15

There is a guy here from Texas in a Irwin 46, he installed the Side power model, not sure what size, or if he had to add the battery or ran off of his windlass, will find out more tomorrow, but he said it was between 11 and 12 thousand total for his install. Said he loves it!

gunk