Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2014, 19:53   #16

Boat: 44'
Total cost of the install during the refit with easy access to do the cutting, reconfiguring the sole and installing the motor, wiring, two group 27 batteries, dedicated charger, fuse block, and heavy gauge wire etc. was just over 12 large. Just a bit of a lump to swallow for a unit that I freely admit is not a necessity, added weight in the bow, cost a little of the valuable storage space and encroached on my after most chain locker....

Sounds like I'm advocating against the thruster, I know, but here's the return. I know that in a pinch I have a way out of a tight spot without the need for fancy work shifting my faithful but age-ed Perkins and transmission between fwd and reverse, bursting the throttle and praying I don't get it wrong while trying to sneak off the fuel dock while some shiny new motor cruiser is trying to show off the advantage of his twin screws a few feet off my bow, and I have a dedicated set of batteries forward that can run my windlass if required ( never had to do this ).

It's about reducing anxiety for me, but more importantly for my wife, even if she's not at the helm. Just a little nudge to starboard and then gentle forward thrust with the main, a wink at the nobility high atop his floating condo while his wife is shouting the closing distance on the dock in ever increasing degree of urgency and dismay... Yep, there's value there.
Jehoshaphat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 20:02   #17

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Bow thrusters...

Never had the need for a thruster on a 4-ton, 28-foot sloop which we frequently docked under sails. But with my 14-ton, 35-foot, single-engined motorboat, it comes in pretty handy.

Old 19-10-2014, 20:30   #18

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

I purchased my SidePower SP75 motor and components all separately for a total of $1850 including the bow tube, which is about 1/2 price. Joystick, wiring, fiberglass and epoxy was another $250. After getting several installation quotes which averaged around $3000, and a lot of internet research I decided to install it myself. Access was easy because the location was just below the forepeak bunks in front of the forward A/C unit. I probably had a total of 40 hours in the project including installing a new battery bank forward and running the charging circuit, controls to the joystick at the helm, etc.

If my time is worth $25/hr I had $1000 labor and $2100 in parts so $3100 all told. I already had the battery but you could add the cost of your battery of choice to be more accurate.

I think that there is a lot of concern that this is not a DIY project but with careful planning and patience it is something that most owners can accomplish. I've looked at a lot of installations before and after mine, and IMHO my job is as good or better than any other I have seen.

Jeff
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 21:19   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
I purchased my SidePower SP75 motor and components all separately for a total of $1850 including the bow tube, which is about 1/2 price. Joystick, wiring, fiberglass and epoxy was another $250. After getting several installation quotes which averaged around $3000, and a lot of internet research I decided to install it myself. Access was easy because the location was just below the forepeak bunks in front of the forward A/C unit. I probably had a total of 40 hours in the project including installing a new battery bank forward and running the charging circuit, controls to the joystick at the helm, etc.

If my time is worth $25/hr I had $1000 labor and $2100 in parts so $3100 all told. I already had the battery but you could add the cost of your battery of choice to be more accurate.

I think that there is a lot of concern that this is not a DIY project but with careful planning and patience it is something that most owners can accomplish. I've looked at a lot of installations before and after mine, and IMHO my job is as good or better than any other I have seen.

Jeff
Fantastic job for pennies on the dollar! !!

And that sir.... is one sweet lookin' ride!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 21:41   #20

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus

I had a Sidepower SE170 installed in my Formosa 51 last year. Really happy with it, not a necessity but sure takes some stress out and opens up options.

I think with installation it was near $15k. I went 24v because that's what the windlass is and the battery banks are only about 5 feet away from the thruster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1413780002.619818.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	89996Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1413780038.142612.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	89997Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1413780064.273578.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	89998

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-10-2014, 21:49   #21

We thought about putting one on our Stevens 47. You might consider joining the Stevens/Hylas 47 Facebook group and ask around other Stevens/Hylas owners.

If money is not an object I can see the attraction!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StevensHylas47/

-J
tookish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 22:56   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hudson 50 and Formossa 51

I Have 2 boats that I installed Sidepower 12 hp thrusters in.
I would recommend fitting 1 size larger than what they recommend ,as it always seems to be blowing hard when you need them , also get it as deep in the water as possible ,one of mine is 2'' shallower than the other and make a huge difference if it is rough in the harbour. These are on a Formosa 51 and a Hudson 50.
On one I didn't buy the joystick and simply use 2 waterproof push button switches, works fine.
Also I spent a bit of time faring the one on the Hudson up and the only difference I find is its a bit quieter in a seaway. these boats are 1 1/4''thick fiberglass .I cut the hulls with a chainsaw.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boat lauch 003.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	90002   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1012.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	90003  

Name:	DSC06483.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	90004  
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 23:55   #23

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

I strongly recommend having one. If you hit one of those shiney new yachts, the cost of the thruster might not have been so bad.

We lived without for many years on the First 375, but I guarantee life got easier & less stressful after installing a thruster. We would have installed one earlier but that hull was too shallow to install an effective tunnel.

Side Power seem to have the market share here in Spain. We like ours on the Jeanneau.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 00:06   #24

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

If I were ever to consider adding thruster(s), for me the only consideration would be one powered by hydraulic fluid, not electric.

A hydraulic thruster is rated for 100% duty cycle, not for short blips.

IMO a thruster is for bad situations, where the electric thruster will "give up the ghost", not for convenience where it really isn't needed.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 05:43   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
If I were ever to consider adding thruster(s), for me the only consideration would be one powered by hydraulic fluid, not electric.

IMO a thruster is for bad situations, where the electric thruster will "give up the ghost", not for convenience where it really isn't needed.
If you ever need a thruster for more than a 10-15 second blip, you are totally screwed anyway... I don't think I use mine for more than 3 seconds at a time... They are NOT meant to hold your bow off while you finish your martini and cigar...

BESIDES... with hydraulic ... Now you are talking SERIOUS MONEY... space and weight...

As has been seen here... a guy can put one in himself for under 5k if he does a little shopping and elbow grease...

Old 20-10-2014, 06:30   #26

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

We have a Vetus 250kg. It makes docking this 58' 70,000 pound vessel easier than my former 28' 10,000#.

Did foul the prop once, which sucked, but was able to replace the shredded prop in the water.

Sent from my XT1060 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 06:33   #27

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

The Green hull Mikado looks awesome, beautiful..
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 06:46   #28

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
If you ever need a thruster for more than a 10-15 second blip, you are totally screwed anyway...
Actually, w/ a hydraulic thruster being totally screwed has been removed from the equation.

Quote:
I don't think I use mine for more than 3 seconds at a time... They are NOT meant to hold your bow off while you finish your martini and cigar...
Yes, an electric thruster is ideal for instances where a thruster is handy and not really required by many operators.

Quote:
BESIDES... with hydraulic ... Now you are talking SERIOUS MONEY... space and weight...
The typical implementation for a hydraulic thruster is to add a pump onto the PTO of a generator.

That combined w/ the reservoir, valves and plumbing is equivalent size and weight to the extra battery(ies) and cables for an electric.

As expected, the cost is higher for the superior system.
Old 20-10-2014, 07:07   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
We have a Vetus 250kg. It makes docking this 58' 70,000 pound vessel easier than my former 28' 10,000#.

Did foul the prop once, which sucked, but was able to replace the shredded prop in the water.

Sent from my XT1060 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR MY NEWEST ANXIETY...

Crew has on many occasion let bow docklines slip off the deck... no where near long enough to get tangled up in anything.... Except now possibly the thruster... ***sigh***

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
The Green hull Mikado looks awesome, beautiful..
No shizzit huh Neil??? She's a beaut...

Quote:
Actually, w/ a hydraulic thruster being totally screwed has been removed from the equation.

Yes, an electric thruster is ideal for instances where a thruster is handy and not really required by many operators.

The typical implementation for a hydraulic thruster is to add a pump onto the PTO of a generator.

That combined w/ the reservoir, valves and plumbing is equivalent size and weight to the extra battery(ies) and cables for an electric.

As expected, the cost is higher for the superior system.
All of your points are absolutely valid my friend!

I do suggest that the PTO off a genset is about the rarest cruiser hydraulic power source I've (never) seen.... Dedicated pump engine? yes, dedicated main engine pump? yes, dedicated electric pump? yes

This of course excludes tugs, commercial workboats and fishing boats

Old 20-10-2014, 07:32   #30

Quote:
I do suggest that the PTO off a genset is about the rarest cruiser hydraulic power source I've (never) seen.... Dedicated pump engine? yes, dedicated main engine pump? yes, dedicated electric pump? yes

This of course excludes tugs, commercial workboats and fishing boats
My 7kW Westerbeke generator has a PTO mount.

It is not a tug, commercial workboat or fishing boat.

The plumbing would be "easy" on my boat.