Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2015, 17:55   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5
Bought the boat! Need a sail.

Hello again,

We've posted on here several times over the last 2 and a half years and the responses have been great. This post is for two purposes. First, an announcement...we just bought our boat on Christmas Day! A 1994 Hunter Legend 37.5. It's a great setup for us. Couldn't be more excited. The boat's in very good condition, but there are still plenty of items that need attention. At the top of the list is that it needs a new mainsail, which leads me to my second purpose. I'd like to know some of the best resources for purchasing a sail. New, used, whatever...what are some good options for us? Our broker and surveyor mentioned Bacon (out of Maryland) but I need help rifling through the results that pop up there. Keep in mind we'll be doing very humble cruising on the ICW, Florida, and the Bahamas. Thanks in advance for your help!
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 18:00   #2

Re: Bought the boat! Need a sail.

Congratulations on your new boat.

Here's the story on buying sails:

Here's "The Deal" when anyone asks the basic question of "Where should I get my sails from?":

1. Website lofts are usually, but not always, less expensive.

2. Local lofts are usually, but not always, more expensive, but for a good reason: the sail maker can come to your boat and measure and be there, literally, for you if you have questions or need adjustments (which NO online source is going to do for you).

3. It's ONLY LUCK when folks respond with good sail loft experiences, since not everyone reads this forum every day. So the recommendation for XYZ sails from one respondent might be available one day, but if you asked this same question last week or next week on this or any other boating forum, a different skipper would answer with a different loft with which he just had a good experience. That's simple reality. You could do a search on this forum for "new sails" and find hundreds of posts. Really. Give it a try and see.

4. Catalina Yachts has their own in-house sail maker, I believe it is Ullman, they do very good work, too, and know Catalinas.

Good luck. On this one, as far as a price YOU are willing to live with, you have to do your own homework, since there are dozens of different sail makers out there. Google searches are your friend.

Used sails? Measure carefully. Always consider the source, some used sail lofts are very good at defining asnd describing the condition of their sails.

New Sails

I wish you luck on your quest. Every time someone asks about "What new sails should I get?" on this and every other boating forum known to man, pretty much the same responses occur:

1. folks will tell you their success with the sails they bought - which may or may not apply to you. I have experienced the same when asking my friends verbally. Same boat, two different friends with new mainsails, both used the same vendor, one hated it, one was very happy. Go figure. [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Stu/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

2. It's a subjective issue, like anchors & guns: there is no right answer.

3. There are all sorts of opportunities, and Google is your friend. Google used sails, you'll find places like Sail Warehouse Store and others, but you get the idea).

4. As one regular respondent wrote here sometime ago, there's no substitute for you to do your own homework and research, since, like I said in #2: Your boat, your choice. Too many variables.

5. Are you aware of the C30 association website and the C30 Yahoo group? They may help you get more specific to your boat.

6. Finally, with ALL sails: you can pay less for a mail-in loft or you can pay more for a local loft with someone who will come to your boat and measure it, and make adjustments if necessary after the sale. If you think your "stock" boat can use stock sails, then do so, and consider the Ullman loft by Catalina Yachts, they've been making good C30 sails for many many years.

Good luck.

PS sorry for the references to C30s, but I've written this so often, I simply kept it and paste it in whenever this recurring questions pops up.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 18:38   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Sailrite Ultrafeed® LSZ-1 PLUS Walking Foot Sewing Machine

The Mainsail Manual Book
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 16:43   #4

How about Quantum Sails in Rochester, NY? We love them!
Ms J-37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 17:35   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have had good luck with Bacon Sails in MD. I got a very good used main from them that matched my boat. Check their website. You can call them, they are very knowledgeable and helpful over the phone. I have also bought two used sails from Minney's here in southern Cal, but I was able to go in person and check them before buying which was more convenient of course.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:56   #6

Boat: Pearson 424

I've heard good things about Bacon sails but remember, you're buying a used sail. It may be white and crisp but that doesn't mean it's a good shaped sail. There is a sail loft not too far from you in Oriental, they probably will already have the proper measurements of your boat and based on your needs will recommend the best material and configuration for your intended sailing.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:05   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

My vote is find a local loft.

We used a local loft here in Florida. Not only did he make me a new main to my goofy mix of specs but being local I have had him repair sails on my current and former boat. Hope to get a few more years out of my current foresail with his help.

Also used the same fellow for rigging, it is nice to be able to talk to the him face to face.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-02-2016, 06:16   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Been dealing with Mack Sails (formerly Mack-Shaw) for almost 40 years. Based in Stuart FL. Price I got from them for a new main was very close to the price quoted me for a new main from China.

Have also had good luck with used sails in the past. Once got a great deal on a 2 year old racing main that was in excellent condition and made a huge difference in performance based on our 6 year old, blown out cruising sail.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:31   #9

Boat: Hylas 49

Bacons also does new sails! Got a gorgeous radial cut main from them in December
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 13:36   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:

Here's the story on buying sails:

Here's "The Deal" when anyone asks the basic question of "Where should I get my sails from?":

1. Website lofts are usually, but not always, less expensive.

2. Local lofts are usually, but not always, more expensive, but for a good reason: the sail maker can come to your boat and measure and be there, literally, for you if you have questions or need adjustments (which NO online source is going to do for you).

3. It's ONLY LUCK when folks respond with good sail loft experiences, since not everyone reads this forum every day. So the recommendation for XYZ sails from one respondent might be available one day, but if you asked this same question last week or next week on this or any other boating forum, a different skipper would answer with a different loft with which he just had a good experience. That's simple reality. You could do a search on this forum for "new sails" and find hundreds of posts. Really. Give it a try and see.

4. Catalina Yachts has their own in-house sail maker, I believe it is Ullman, they do very good work, too, and know Catalinas.

Good luck. On this one, as far as a price YOU are willing to live with, you have to do your own homework, since there are dozens of different sail makers out there. Google searches are your friend.

Used sails? Measure carefully. Always consider the source, some used sail lofts are very good at defining asnd describing the condition of their sails.

^^^^This. Well done, Stu.

Ann

Tags
sail