Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2018, 11:00   #1
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 4,837
Boat sinks in The Northwest Passage

Apparently some didn't get the CCG warning about the sea ice threat in the NWP this year.
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.word...thick-ice/amp/
Thankfully no loss of life.
__________________

__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 31-08-2018, 11:19   #2
Registered User
 
rsn48's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island, BC
Boat: 1969 28' Grenfell Express Cabin design
Posts: 475
Re: Boat sinks in The Northwest Passage

And will the boat loss be covered under insurance; unless it has a special rider, the answer will be "no."
__________________

rsn48 is offline  
Old 31-08-2018, 11:24   #3
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 4,837
Re: Boat sinks in The Northwest Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
And will the boat loss be covered under insurance; unless it has a special rider, the answer will be "no."
the article says it was modified for the trip what ever this means
From the article.

an aluminum Ovni 345, had recently been specially converted for the journey into the ice

But yes even with insurance coverage it would not be paid due to them ignoring CCG reports.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 31-08-2018, 11:28   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Isla Saboga, Las Perlas, Panama
Boat: 1994 Hunter 37.5
Posts: 207
Re: Boat sinks in The Northwest Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Apparently some didn't get the CCG warning about the sea ice threat in the NWP this year.
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.word...thick-ice/amp/
Thankfully no loss of life.
Toward the end it says that they got the warning, but chose to ignore it.

"The skipper of the "Anahita", Pablo David Saad, had deliberately ignored the official warning and instead...."
oldjags is offline  
Old 31-08-2018, 11:31   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 8,057
Re: Boat sinks in The Northwest Passage

Quote:
But sooner or later, Arctic alarmists, with their lies about disappearing sea ice, will have deaths on their conscience.
Now here is an idiot remark. There is lots of open water in the Arctic Ocean its just that the NW Passage is jammed. There are also many areas of weak and thinning ice in the Arctic and the ice extent is still way below the 81-2010 average. People who underestimate the conditions in the Arctic are looking for trouble.
DeepFrz is offline  
Old 31-08-2018, 11:38   #6
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 4,837
Re: Boat sinks in The Northwest Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjags View Post
Toward the end it says that they got the warning, but chose to ignore it.

"The skipper of the "Anahita", Pablo David Saad, had deliberately ignored the official warning and instead...."
my comment was kind of tongue in cheek they didn't get it they didn't care about it .
They chose to ignore it.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 31-08-2018, 11:40   #7
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 4,837
Re: Boat sinks in The Northwest Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Now here is an idiot remark. There is lots of open water in the Arctic Ocean its just that the NW Passage is jammed. There are also many areas of weak and thinning ice in the Arctic and the ice extent is still way below the 81-2010 average. People who underestimate the conditions in the Arctic are looking for trouble.
figured didn't take long for a thread about the unfortunate loss of a vessel to sea ice to turn into an agw thread.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 31-08-2018, 16:03   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 8,057
Re: Boat sinks in The Northwest Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
figured didn't take long for a thread about the unfortunate loss of a vessel to sea ice to turn into an agw thread.
That happened when you posted the link to the article that ended with the nonsense that I took exception to. I suspect you posted that link with intent.

Oh, by the way, I mentioned nothing about AGW. However, you did.
DeepFrz is offline  
Old 31-08-2018, 16:08   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crete , Greece
Boat: Beneteau first 26
Posts: 262
Re: Boat sinks in The Northwest Passage

Wooden and steel boats used to spend years on the ice , it seems weird to be that aluminium broke :/
gmakhs is offline  
Old 31-08-2018, 17:21   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: dusty plains
Boat: someone elses
Posts: 54
Re: Boat sinks in The Northwest Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
Wooden and steel boats used to spend years on the ice , it seems weird to be that aluminium broke :/
Aluminum becomes brittle at cold temps and is likely to suffer a rupture from an impact. Depending on the type of aluminum, it could also be prone to stress fracturing.
JMitchell is offline  
Old 31-08-2018, 17:21   #11
Marine Service Provider
 
Steadman Uhlich's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,019
Re: Boat sinks in The Northwest Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Apparently some didn't get the CCG warning about the sea ice threat in the NWP this year.
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.word...thick-ice/amp/
Thankfully no loss of life.
Thanks for sharing the news.

Going through the NWP has always been risky for small boats.
They lost their boat, but now have a different story.

Lucky for them there were other yachts nearby to take them in.
________
Steadman Uhlich is offline  
Old 31-08-2018, 17:36   #12
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 4,837
Re: Boat sinks in The Northwest Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
That happened when you posted the link to the article that ended with the nonsense that I took exception to. I suspect you posted that link with intent.

Oh, by the way, I mentioned nothing about AGW. However, you did.
no I just posted about the thankfully not tragic loss of a vessel.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 31-08-2018, 17:39   #13
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,883
Re: Boat sinks in The Northwest Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
Aluminum becomes brittle at cold temps and is likely to suffer a rupture from an impact. Depending on the type of aluminum, it could also be prone to stress fracturing.
It's the other way around. Steel becomes brittle, Alloy much less so.

I'd like to know how she got holed. Possibly rudder or prop damage?
__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline  
Old 31-08-2018, 17:44   #14
Marine service provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 4,837
Re: Boat sinks in The Northwest Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
It's the other way around. Steel becomes brittle, Alloy much less so.

I'd like to know how she got holed. Possibly rudder or prop damage?
sounds like she got squeezed and popped a few weak spots and split seams from there. Perhaps we may know eventually depending on investigations
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline  
Old 31-08-2018, 18:38   #15
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 13,992
Re: Boat sinks in The Northwest Passage

newhaul, you did mention "agw" in your post #7. And it was the first mention of it.
__________________

__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, passage

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising the Pacific Northwest and Alaska's Inside Passage Divtruk Powered Boats 35 16-06-2018 11:45
A Bavaria 44 Sails the Northwest Passage ! Jacques2 Monohull Sailboats 3 21-11-2010 13:07
Fiona Completes the Northwest Passage. anotherT34C Cruising News & Events 7 22-09-2009 14:12
Northwest Passage Colorado Dreamer Polar Regions 22 01-09-2008 13:05
The Northwest Passage is OPEN FOR BUSINESS ssullivan General Sailing Forum 0 13-09-2007 17:09



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:22.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.