Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2018, 04:22   #211

Re: Boat sinks in The Northwest Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Folks, what on earth has this to do with a sinking boat in the NWP?

We all know from previous threads that there are strong feelings on all sides of the global warming (GW)issue. However, this isn't the thread or really the forum unless it is directly connected to sailing and cruising.

Finally, I think the majority of the membership are actually quite bored by the constant bickering on GW and few will take the time to read what you have posted and certainly not bother reading all the links.

Pete
In addition to Bigmarv's germane response I would also note that the nearly 15,000 views that this thread has had suggests that there is indeed quite a bit of interest in the topic.

And the interest in this thread is not an anomaly. The numerous other threads on CF that have devolved into a Global Warming discussion also have had some of the largest number of views of threads in CF history.

I would also note that if people are bored by a topic they don't bother reading it. There is no need for the moderators to close a "boring" thread; it closes itself.
Old 15-10-2018, 04:42   #212

Boat: Valiant 42

And also the greatest number of complaints to moderators I would guess. The idiots on both sides that argue for the censorship of the other side because "I'm right and he's wrong" tells us quite a lot I think. But none of these highly viewed threads do a damn thing to help anything. They just drive people away and reduce the value of the forum in general. Huge click numbers are not always good news.
Old 15-10-2018, 06:23   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
you must be misspelling the surname please provide a reference due to my not finding anything .
I just looked at the charts again and as I suspected you did misspell the surname there is no e on the end .
I would hazard a guess that it is due to an autocorrect issue.
Its not like you to make that type of mistake.
You are correct - Marcott
Old 15-10-2018, 07:01   #214

Even with the "total" blockage of the NWP, 2 yachts made it through.

https://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/resources...estpassage.pdf
Old 15-10-2018, 07:35   #215

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
You are showing your ignorance by posting links to blogs of climate deniers, not climate scientists. The oceans of the world are at record high temps, arctic ice maximum is once again headed to a record low and we have seen record breaking storms all over the world.
This is such a classic post from an AGW acolyte. Wrong at every level.

1. No one is a scientist who doesn't agree with you.
2. If someone references data you don't agree with, that person is ignorant.
3. The oceans of the world are not a "record temperatures" since they have been far warmer in times past, and in any case, accurate temperature measurements of the oceans that could be used for comparisons don't exist, so your statement is unfalsifiable.
4. Arctic ice maximum isn't at a record low since Arctic ice has been completely absent in times past, and it's above 2012 as of today in any case.
5. Even the IPCC has debunked the idea that we are experiencing "record breaking storms", stating that tropical storms will “either decrease or remain essentially unchanged”.

And really, when you use the word "denier", you simply show yourself to be an uninformed partisan hack. I believe there is now a corollary to Godwin's law - the first person to use the word "denier" loses the argument.
Old 15-10-2018, 08:06   #216
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Folks, what on earth has this to do with a sinking boat in the NWP?

Pete
Pete I know kind of funny I asked that same question when the thread started the morphing into what it has become.
I even discussed with several mods about how to close it over a month ago after it stopped being relevant to the post I started the thread with .
Old 15-10-2018, 08:11   #217

Quote:
Pete I know kind of funny I asked that same question when the thread started the morphing into what it has become.
I even discussed with several mods about how to close it over a month ago after it stopped being relevant to the post I started the thread with .
The last paragraph of the blog post to which you linked might be a hint.

Quote:
This time the skipper and his crew were extremely lucky to come out alive. But sooner or later, Arctic alarmists, with their lies about disappearing sea ice, will have deaths on their conscience.
Old 15-10-2018, 08:20   #218
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The last paragraph of the blog post to which you linked might be a hint.
jack I will give you a bit to ponder here the biggest climate alarmist Al Gore has himself stated many times when the arctic would be ice free in the summers . That's are many others ( He is just the top of the list) and to date their predictions have all proven to be wrong. So the quote you so like to keep pointing to as biased. Is infact true. ( from the point of view of the author.)
and to address another poster I am not denying the climate is changing . I am just not in the agw crowd in other words I don't believe man has a major role in any of what happens to the climate. Its all cyclical and we are now in the early phases of a major cooling .
Even though we have been cooling for several thousand years. Yes there have been some warm periods but the overall trend line is cooling.
Old 15-10-2018, 08:32   #219

Quote:
jack I will give you a bit to ponder here the biggest climate alarmist Al Gore has himself stated many times when the arctic would be ice free in the summers . That's are many others ( He is just the top of the list) and to date their predictions have all proven to be wrong. So the quote you so like to keep pointing to as biased. Is infact true. ( from the point of view of the author.)
and to address another poster I am not denying the climate is changing . I am just not in the agw crowd in other words I don't believe man has a major role in any of what happens to the climate. Its all cyclical and we are now in the early phases of a major cooling .
Even though we have been cooling for several thousand years. Yes there have been some warm periods but the overall trend line is cooling.
Climate models are very good predictors of temperatures and other factors.

Quote:
While some models projected less warming than we’ve experienced and some projected more, all showed surface temperature increases between 1970 and 2016 that were not too far off from what actually occurred, particularly when differences in assumed future emissions are taken into account.
https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis...global-warming

Global Climate Models have also successfully forecast:

That the troposphere would warm and the stratosphere would cool.
That nighttime temperatures would increase more than daytime temperatures.
That winter temperatures would increase more than summer temperatures.
Polar amplification (greater temperature increase as you move toward the poles).
That the Arctic would warm faster than the Antarctic.
The magnitude (0.3 K) and duration (two years) of the cooling from the Mt. Pinatubo eruption.
They made a retrodiction for Last Glacial Maximum sea surface temperatures which was inconsistent with the paleo evidence, and better paleo evidence showed the models were right.
They predicted a trend significantly different and differently signed from UAH satellite temperatures, and then a bug was found in the satellite data.
The amount of water vapor feedback due to ENSO.
The response of southern ocean winds to the ozone hole.
The expansion of the Hadley cells.
The poleward movement of storm tracks.
The rising of the tropopause and the effective radiating altitude.
The clear sky super greenhouse effect from increased water vapor in the tropics.
The near constancy of relative humidity on global average.
That coastal upwelling of ocean water would increase.

I know that you do not believe in AGW. Science is based on evidence, not belief. Religion is based on belief and you are confirmed and baptized member of the Cult of Ra.
Old 15-10-2018, 08:34   #220

Quote:
jack I will give you a bit to ponder here the biggest climate alarmist Al Gore has himself stated many times when the arctic would be ice free in the summers .
I did not follow Al Gore, Bill Nye, David Suzuki, Naomi Klein etc.. They are not climate scientists. Ponder that.
Old 15-10-2018, 08:41   #221
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I did not follow Al Gore, Bill Nye, David Suzuki, Naomi Klein etc.. They are not climate scientists. Ponder that.
I never said you personally did follow them and as to their lack of believability we both agree however we can not say the same about the masses . Most are sheeple looking for a Shepard.
Old 15-10-2018, 08:52   #222

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

This thread is closed.

Global warming is an important topic, but there are more suitable forums to discuss these issues.

Apologies to those who made posts that were directly relevant to sailing.
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, passage