Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-11-2015, 22:27   #16
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Boat Haul Out Using Railway Line - What are they called?

Yes, I really like it.....I am 48 tons which is why I ask, since I will be in those waters next year

Old 25-11-2015, 22:51   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Here's a pic of Insatiable II slipped in Port Cygnet, Tasmania some years ago. Hung out a LONG way on both ends of the carriage, but she balanced perfectly on her keel (fore and aft). The builder had said she would, but this was the first time on a slip for us, and I was a bit antsy!

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0004.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	388.3 KB
ID:	113841  

Old 25-11-2015, 23:02   #18
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Yes Jim, my diciest haul outs have been with railway slips.

On the bigger yachts, you have a limited time period to set the blocks properly as the tide gets near high....then if they get it wrong!!! ....the panic to get her off the blocks as the tide goes out.

My worst experience was Cairns Slipway where it took 4 night tries to get me up on the hard using their railway.

Next time....I used their graving dock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1448517758795.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	113842  
Old 26-11-2015, 05:57   #19

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I've always heard them called "marine railways". I hadn't heard this use for the term "slipways". I would have assumed that meant the same as "ways"; a place where boats are launched by sliding them down into the water on an incline. Rails or not.

Our marina has a railway that's used all the time. We haul boats directly into a heated indoor boathouse to allow owners to work on them out of the weather. Very popular with fishermen who can't afford to wait for good weather. Maybe in places with more frequent good weather this isn't an issue.

As for regular hauling and launching for storage, we have a large boat trailer with hydraulic support pads that's hauled by a big front-end loader. The boats are packed VERY tightly in the yard using this. Inches apart, with pulpits and even flared bows overhanging the surrounding boats. You could never do this with a travel lift.
Old 26-11-2015, 06:06   #20

Boat: Ontario32

The Trent-Severn Waterway between Lake Ontario and Georgian Bay has a really nice piece ot marine railway engineering at Big Chute. The ekevation change is about 100 feet, The macinery can handle plus 60 tons and the vessels being handled be it a keel boat or otherwise remain horizontal. A really interesting experience.
Old 26-11-2015, 08:52   #21

Slipways. Watch your boat slip away into untold expenses.
Old 26-11-2015, 08:53   #22

Boat: Grand banks 32' Classic

Clark Boat Yard in Jamestown, Rhode Island uses one with a really old drive mechanism to haul it up the rails, but once up, the hydraulic trailer allows them to pack the boats in far tighter than possible with a travellift. I'll look for pictures of Fairweather on the railway and post them.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-11-2015, 10:02   #23

Boat: Grand banks 32' Classic

Launching Fairweather on the railway. The flat part with all the red steel structure rolls down the rails with the hydraulic squeeze trailer and boat on board. They can also crib a boat without the squeeze trailer.

Old 26-11-2015, 10:31   #24

There were some marine railways in Vallejo Ca, they were abandoned. Would have been used for hauling small boats.
Large vessels are hauled out using drydocks.
We used one in West Seattle in 1982 for 625' vessel.
Very simple, float the vessel into the dock. Close the watertight door. Have divers go beneath the vessel and place shoring blocks. Appeared to be douglas fir, then gradually pump out the water The block placement was very precision, probably not 2 inches margin of error.
The final postion of the vessel was performed using well placed come-a-longs and muscle.
Was about a 4 hour operation once organized.
Floating drydocks are especially useful in emergencies.
There was one at Subic Bay in the Philippines made from concrete during WW2. Still in use in 1978.
Old 26-11-2015, 10:53   #25

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Marine railway. We were just hauled by one in WA. Prior to the haul I was chasing around stowing everything in sight that might go flying. When they finally hauled us it was the most gentle movement imaginable. I don't think it was more than 3 or 4 degrees off level at any time. Very manpower intensive as there were 4 of us on deck as the haul began and 2 on land to chock it and level it as it came up. I don't know if this is typical or the guys at Walsh Marine are exceptional, but they took our 40 tons out of the water like a ballet.
Old 26-11-2015, 11:18   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
You still see them occasionally: a short section of railway line used for hauling boats up and out of the water. One end of course is in the water and at the other end will be a powerful winch.

Just wondering what these facilities are called? Is there some special maritime term?

(And yes I have spent some time looking on google with no joy obviously.)

Here’s a link to a wonderful little video of a manual haul out line at offcenterharbor.com if you’re not sure what I’m talking about.
Railway! The norm. years ago prior the travel lifts. Still in use today for wide beams or heavy boats. I would prefer a rail since the length of the keel can be supported. They are probably getting harder to find. The big advantage of a travel lift, on tires. is the mobility. Rails are great for in and outs. A big travel lift is a major investment along with the finger piers to run them out on.
Old 26-11-2015, 11:26   #27

If you mentioned the term WAYS anywhere near a yard they would know exactly what you were referring to..Don in Friday Harbor
Old 26-11-2015, 11:38   #28

Here in Ireland, and in the UK, they are called "Patent Slips", at least that was what what they were called 100 or so years ago when they first started to be used in boatbuilding yards. There are two boatyards in Oldcourt, near Skibbereen, County Cork, where I have frequently seen large fishing vessels, 80 feet or more, hauled out for routine maintenance. There is a disused one right in the centre of Baltimore village, not too far from Oldcourt. You can see all these on Google Maps, sattelite view.
Those ramps which slope down into the water for launching small boats we call slipways, or slips, for short. Note, we do not "slip" a boat we launch it. If there is a lot of green weed on the slipway at low water, we need to watch our step, or we might slip .
A further difference in boating language on this side of the pond is that in marinas we tie our boats to pontoons, a dock being an area of water enclosed by walls and accessed by lock gates, where vessels can stay afloat while the tide is out, also called a basin. If you look at a map of Liverpool or London,for instance you can see a number of these.
Old 26-11-2015, 11:41   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Railway! The norm. years ago prior the travel lifts. Still in use today for wide beams or heavy boats. I would prefer a rail since the length of the keel can be supported. They are probably getting harder to find. The big advantage of a travel lift, on tires. is the mobility. Rails are great for in and outs. A big travel lift is a major investment along with the finger piers to run them out on.
"Finger piers"; In these parts we call that arrangement a "lifting dock".
Old 26-11-2015, 11:59   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofGlenans View Post
"Finger piers"; In these parts we call that arrangement a "lifting dock".
I'll buy that. Still not cheap regardless of what we call it. Unfortunately I think the intermediate guy is being edged out. Trailer sailor and mega sailor are fine The poor guy in the middle is getting screwed. Maybe not unjustly. Business is business.

Tags
cal, haul out

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: