Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-11-2006, 14:18   #31

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
A word of support for powerboaters in NC & SC. The majority give you a slow pass. I'm not talking the weekenders, but mostly cruisers. As stated earlier, once you get to the St. Mary's it goes down hill fast.

George

Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 06:03   #32

IslandMike - call me anytime, I work at home and am in the book, or you can PM me. By the way, I am taking a number of Power Squadron courses, and may be volunteering with the Coast Guard Aux - anything to get around people with experience...

Old 14-11-2006, 06:30   #33
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I live on the ICW in central Florida and my experience mirrors Wahoo's in that 1 in 4 power boats will slow while passing. All bets are off on Holiday weekends as none of the power boats slow down. I have shallow draft and staying out of the channel would minimize the problem, however we have a very active community of crabbers here and crab traps are like a mine field outside of the channel.

Rick in Florida
Old 14-11-2006, 07:01   #34
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
All captains are responsible for the wakes they make and the damage done by them - it's the law
agree with you .. but there are plenty that don't. can anybody cite an example where someone has actually sued for (and won) damages by a power boat wake?
Old 14-11-2006, 14:18   #35

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
Just a quick thought of sympathy for the powerboaters. They know that off-plane their boat is consuming a ton of expensive fuel, and as they look ahead they can see a line of masts as far they can see. To do what they are supposed to do means powering up ... then right back down again, up ... then back down again, over and over again. It has to be major league frustrating. I can understand why so many of them don't obey the laws, kick in a lack of enforcement and it's a sure bet that they will stay on-plane. Although I can understand it ... I can't excuse it anymore than I can the guy that runs the red light .... 'cause he's in a hurry.

Bob & Lynn
Old 14-11-2006, 14:34   #36

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
About time they got out of those planning hulls and got something more efficient.

Well designed displacement powercats don't put out much more wash at 20kn than they do at 6 kn

Dave
Old 14-11-2006, 20:26   #37

DefJef said
Quote:
I am going to make a blanket statement (there are exceptions of course:

Power boat operators and less skilled seaman and less considerate on the water than sailboat operators.

The exceptions include working boats and serious sport fisherman.

The worst offenders are cigarette boats and floating condo's with sliding glass doors.

Just something I observed over 21 yrs on the water.
Can't speak for New York Def but on the great lakes, the SE, California, PNW and in NZ I would have to say that inconsiderate boaters are about equally distrubuted between power and sail. The differnce I see is that inconsiderate or incompetant sailors tend not to have as big an effect on others and are more easily avoided. Here in Newport beach California there are dangerous folks in power, sail, electric boats, in kayaks and on surfboards all weekend long. Nice thing is though that folks here arent too uptight and everyone seems to get along regardless. Tolerance is good for your health. Don't stress about stuff that isn't about to change.
Old 14-11-2006, 22:26   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think part of this is that one rude sailor may upset 5 miles worth of waterway in one hour, but one rude powerboater can upset 20, 30, even 60 miles of waterway in the same hour. Way more impact from the "same" one rude boater when he can move fast.
Old 14-11-2006, 22:37   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef
I am going to make a blanket statement (there are exceptions of course:

Power boat operators and less skilled seaman and less considerate on the water than sailboat operators.

The exceptions include working boats and serious sport fisherman.

The worst offenders are cigarette boats and floating condo's with sliding glass doors.

Just something I observed over 21 yrs on the water.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s

If these same inconsiderate people had efficient low wash hulls , would they still be considered inconsiderate?

Dave
Old 14-11-2006, 23:57   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
[quote=Well designed displacement powercats don't put out much more wash at 20kn than they do at 6 kn
Dave[/quote]

Yeah but there is one important factor in that statement. And it applies to any boat traveling a speed, not just cats. The wake is TRAVELING at 20kts as against 6kts. So the waves maybe smaller, but the energy behind can be big in comparison. The evidence is mostly seen at the shore line were even a small but fast traveling wake can have some tremendouse impact on the shore.
In our Marina, we have a 3kt speed restriction. The channle has a 5kt restriction. Sadly, very few follow the 3kt in the Marina and many don't even obey the 5kt in the Marina let alone the channel. It is very annoying to be banged around by boat wake int he Marina. Especially when trying to paint or something.
The large commercial Vessels are allowed to travel faster than the restictions, due to their hull shape. They have very little steerage and require directional speed to maintain course. These boats are really big for the Marina, but the wake is almost nil. The boats that are the greastest wake producers are the smaller 18ft or so powerboaties that run around just sitting on the verge of plane but not quite. The wakes slam into all of us birthed boats and it is annoying.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 00:03   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
. The boats that are the greastest wake producers are the smaller 18ft or so powerboaties that run around just sitting on the verge of plane but not quite. The wakes slam into all of us birthed boats and it is annoying.
Fair cop on your waves travelling a 20 knots comment, wheels.

A solution to the above statment might be "NO WASH" instead of 3 or 6 knots

Dave
Old 15-11-2006, 00:38   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yes there is a very large sign with "no wake zone" "reduce speed to 3knts in Marina" printed on it in Large red letters. The big problem we have is that there is no one around that can really enforce the rule. A harbour patrol boat comes over about once maybe twice a year.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 01:22   #43

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Nah, it's all those South Islanders can't read ""
Old 15-11-2006, 03:58   #44

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Yotphix,

You are absolutley correct, there are inconsiderate people in all areas of the boating world. And you are also correct, Tolerance is good for your health, however, I started this thread as more of a safety concern more than anything. It is hard to "chill out" when the wave that is generate in a tight little channel could cause me or one of my family or guests harm. Not trying to be argumentative here, because in fact I agree with what you have said, I to am a live and let live person. I have no problems with power boats etc, in fact some of my best friends are, or I am mean have power boats. I look at people who are inconsiderate of others as bullys, and in fact they could have any type of vessel, car etc. Enough said about that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: