Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2016, 15:24   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Boat Fenders for pivot manuvers against dock

I've been review lot of information on getting into and out of docks using spring lines. Most of the time, this requires you to pivot against the dock.

What arrangement of fender would you use to do this, especially if you were by yourself and so wouldn't have the time to go forward and place it exactly where needed beforehand.
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 16:22   #2

Boat: Cooper 416
Re: Boat Fenders for pivot manuvers against dock

Use a fenderboard. We used to pivot into a slip that had a half boat-length finger pier, with the remainder of the slip formed by pilings. We had about 1 1/2 boat lengths in front of the slip before the shallows, so not a lot of opportunity to back in without a spring.

We'd rig a fenderboard portside at the point we wanted to pivot, and then pull up "in front" of the slip, perpendicular to the way we'd want to end up (which was bow out, naturally), port side to the pilings. We'd take the line from the "forward" piling (which would ultimately become the piling at the port bow), and wrap it on the portside primary winch. We'd then back against this spring, adjusting the length so that we pivoted on the fender board at the appropriate spot, easing it as we straightened up in the slip.
Old 23-08-2016, 16:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I use Taylor Made "ball" type. I believe they are guaranteed against popping. Commercial fishermen use them for buoys.
I mostly solo and often push against them without trouble. 83', 80 ton boat.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 17:37   #4

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Use lots of fenders, being sure to protect the edges.

Old 24-08-2016, 08:56   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I've been review lot of information on getting into and out of docks using spring lines. Most of the time, this requires you to pivot against the dock.

What arrangement of fender would you use to do this, especially if you were by yourself and so wouldn't have the time to go forward and place it exactly where needed beforehand.
===

When leaving a face dock I most often pivot the bow towards the dock against a spring line and then back out. For that I use a ball type fender placed mid-way back on the curve of the bow. If you're single handing you'll need someone on the dock to release the spring line and throw it on deck. With two of us, I double the spring line back to the bow so it can be released and retrieved from on board.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 12:58   #6

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

If I am alone and the conditions of wind and current are suitable, I consider pivoting the stern toward the dock, backing against a doubled spring line led forward from an stern cleat. This spring is much easier to cast off singlehanded than one led aft from a bow cleat.

If I expect to push with some force on the pivot fender, I rig a flat foam fender, such as these: Force 4 Flat Fenders
They don't burst.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 13:55   #7

get a dock roller wheel install it at the end inboard corner of your favorite finger

you can pivot on it and there is no scuffing from the fender material
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 14:58   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Hippety Hops are usually preferred, as they give you more offset distance from the dock when pivoting or moving against them. And they're also less likely to roll out of position under load, especially vertically. Which can be problematic with some cylindrical ones.
Although if you have some really pronounced tumblehome, you'll have to sort out what works on your own.

The catch to fenders being that you want fat ones for better offset distance, but they store poorly, relatively speaking. Unless deflated.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 04:28   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post

If we can make a soft approach to pilings that match our height, we just use the rubrails on the boat... no fenders needed.

-Chris
Old 25-08-2016, 05:21   #10

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"

My favorite fender/spring line use, is when getting off a face dock with 15 kt winds holding the boat on the dock.
Once won a bet, when a person on the dock, said I couldn't get the boat off the dock.
Put a fender between the dock and the stern quarter.
Spring line from stern cleat, to a dock cleat about 5' forward of stern cleat.
Put boat in reverse, and watch the magic, as the stern quarter pivots on the fender, and the bow comes away from the dock.
When the bow is about 10' or more from the dock, release the spring line and power away.
Be sure to just loop the line around the dock cleat, so you can uncleat at the boat.

Works like a charm
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, fender