Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2011, 19:09   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Re: Boat Dock Line Barrier

I have seen all kinds of spiderweb arrangements.

Learn to dock your vessel and use the lines to move yourself in not as restraints.

Slow is pro
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 19:18   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Get some Dacron, put a truckers hitch on it and cinch it up real tight. It won't stretch much at all if and when the boat presses against it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 09:50   #18

Every docking situation is a challenge and different. Judging current and wind beforehand are very important. Going too slow is a problem... especially in big boats. Having a prop that will stop the boat quickly is a real help. I have often came in real hot relying on reverse to stop me in windy or curretn stuations. Think ahead about exiting in the same situation. You need to be real comfortable with your boat as you will have to make decisions with a few seconds notice.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 14:20   #19

My question would be; are any of these systems portable to my next slip? My thoughts learn to drive your boat; mishaps come along the way but you need to think out what you're going to do next along with other possible variables. In the end it all works out in the wash with practice, practice, practice. It's called basic boating skills (or for those who own a mast, seamanship).

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 14:27   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

slips are all different--you have to see what you have in next one to determine what you will do then.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 14:44   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
slips are all different--you have to see what you have in next one to determine what you will do then.
Nonsense. If you can't maneuver your boat how can you complete a MOB drill? Throw a fender in the water on a 10 knot day then retrieve it. I can tell you you're docking skills will improve 100X's by the time you figure on how to master your helm, the current and the wind. Wait for it; all the skills you need to dock your boat in ANY situation.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 13:24   #22

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II

I have a setup that forms a triangle to make it easier docking when i am solo which is 99 percent of the time. Also it stops the boat from bumping the bulkhead if you have a tailwind. I can dock fine without it, it just makes it a little easier.
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 13:35   #23
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L.Green View Post
I have a setup that forms a triangle to make it easier docking when i am solo which is 99 percent of the time. Also it stops the boat from bumping the bulkhead if you have a tailwind. I can dock fine without it, it just makes it a little easier.
I have a preset docking line that runs in the slip from bow to stern, with a figure-8 loop and a carabiner in it. Then I have a harp shackle on the toerail. Clip the carabiner into the toerail and the boat isn't going anywhere.

Away from home I have a midline I can throw around a piling. Once again, the boat isn't going anywhere. I can dock the boat by myself, and that's important. The person with me might not know much about docking. Or they could have sprained their ankle while we were out and be of no help.

It's really important to be able to dock your boat safely by yourself.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote