Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 18:03   #316
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
On this site is easy: Just post the link, the one on top of the page.

Yep, just copy and paste the address line from the relevant youtube video.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 18:29   #317
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Strange I did that and it didn't embed; also tried iframe code. I will continue to experiment. thanks guys
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 20:21   #318
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Has anyone had the experience of requesting of Hanse, Hunter, Beneteau, Bavaria or Catalina give them information as to what (if anything) should be done to the boats before attempting a circumnavigation?

Ann
I requested information three years ago from Hunter Marine as to where I could buy a replacement grey water sump pump and solar panel for our Hunter 450. Sold the boat two years ago, but I'm still waiting for the Hunter service department to return my many calls.

Even spoke to the Hunter sales reps at three boat shows at the time... No return calls. Awesome.

Oyster is the opposite... Fantastic, outstanding customer service.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 20:32   #319
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I requested information three years ago from Hunter Marine as to where I could buy a replacement grey water sump pump and solar panel for our Hunter 450. Sold the boat two years ago, but I'm still waiting for the Hunter service department to return my many calls.

Even spoke to the Hunter sales reps at three boat shows at the time... No return calls. Awesome.

First rate! I am the third owner of my Nauticat, which was built in '83. They responded to my first email immediately. In very nice English, despite the fact that they are a Finnish company...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 21:49   #320

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I am the fourth owner of my 1989 Tayana and the builder responds to my emails quickly and with helpful information. I have gotten information about structure, materials and sources for components. That is all part of the quality of Tayana boats.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 18:25   #321

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Just noted on Grenada cruisers FB page there was a photo of the Bue Pearl crew with a link to GOFUNDME.com site for donations to help defray expences. Don't quite know what to think about it but wish them luck!
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 20:28   #322

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Just been wading through all the technical arguments/discussions in this thread. Makes my head ache

We just keep sailing our heavy old battleship to our next destination. We never give a thought to delaminating, or oilcanning, or ripping a rudder or keel off. If we hit a reef we just hope we haven't damaged the coral too much

We copped some pretty heavy stuff in the Pacific but never did we feel any threat to the integrity of Wind Wanderer.
Of course she was layed up in the days before accountants had told boat builders how little fiberglass they could get away with

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 20:46   #323

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
That's a very good point. They are not there to lose money and adjust the premium to the risks. Do they increase the premium to modern mass production boats that go bluewater more than they increase the premium of good bluewater boats made 20 or 30 years ago? No, quite the contrary, the premium of the old boat is twice bigger.
And where and why most boats are lost? Bluewater? Coastal? Nope! Most boats burn or sink on their slip and that's why older boats have more premium due old equipment eventually fails someday, and with fuel lines, thru hulls, DIY wiring and pilge pumps it's usually the end of story. Even more so when the boat is sitting in a marina 5000nm away when the owner have left her for 6 months...
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:49   #324

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
A.. that's why older boats have more premium due old equipment eventually fails someday,..
I agree with that, but it can fail at the marina or at the middle of the ocean. That's why the extra premium for crossing the Atlantic ( extra from coastal waters) on my friend's boat was huge.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:23   #325

I personally have never experienced getting hit with a large premium for an older boat and over the years most of my boats were 10 years and older. Typically pay around 3/4-1% for hull insurance now but I think we will go 3rd party liability when we leave the Med this year.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:48   #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I personally have never experienced getting hit with a large premium for an older boat and over the years most of my boats were 10 years and older. Typically pay around 3/4-1% for hull insurance now but I think we will go 3rd party liability when we leave the Med this year.
I was not talking about 10 years old boat's but about 25/30 years old boat's (I can't remember exactly the age of his boat (a Canadian passage maker on its time).
Old 08-05-2014, 10:59   #327
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It cost less to insure my 27 yr old Island Packet than it would have a 10 yr old Hunter,
I had quotes on both
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:22   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It cost less to insure my 27 yr old Island Packet than it would have a 10 yr old Hunter,
I had quotes on both
Are you talking about a a third party liability or that with a hull policy? And if it is also a hull policy the boats have the same market value?
Old 08-05-2014, 12:55   #329

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

The cost of insurance on our 28-year old Beneteau has never increased. They did ask for a survey about the time she turned 21, but never an increase. In a recent thread in discussion with a similar sized Moody we we paying considerably less than they were for a newer boat, but that was with a different company so likely not a fair comparison.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 13:17   #330

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Minaret-you are right-it was at Janicki in Sedro-Wooley. I guess that bad thing about such automation, unless checked by real people, if the software tells the cutting head to cut 1" off plans, it will keep on doing every time with great precision!

You are also right on the layup. I followed Townsend Bay Marine's build of Cielo Mare, a 127' custom sportfisher, several years ago, and there just ain't no easy way to get the layup done and done right.

BTW- your refit is really looking great-hope to see you on the Sound soon!
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote