Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2014, 12:37   #181

Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Interesting. I was wondering what sort of boat has a bulkhead blow out in "25' seas and 40 mph winds". Assumed it was a woodie. Never heard of a glass boat breaking up like that.
Hmmm ... admittedly the surrounding circumstances were highly unusual, but the most dangerous (and steepest) seas I've ever encountered were <25', and barely over 30 knots of wind, possibly not even that.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 12:58   #182
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

It was a stern bulkhead too from the reports, which is more unusual me thinks, and points to previous damage (e.g. the rudder).
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 13:07   #183
CLOD

Boat: none

There has to be more to the story. A bulkhead "failing" doesn't sink a boat unless it is part of some other event.
Old 29-04-2014, 13:09   #184

Boat: Valiant 42

When Bluewaters posted originally last year that the "rudder snapped off" something was niggling in my mind. Regardless of your opinion about brand and quality I don't think rudders just snap off. Something big has to cause that. I think we all could learn not to assume good or bad things about a particular brand. If a major part of the rig or an appendage fails it calls for a thorough survey no matter the brand. The possibility of collateral damage should not be ignored.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 13:19   #185

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

I have been thinking about this and how could one have rudder damage that is not noticeable but yet be a big enough event to damage the bulkhead?

I expect to see some pretty significant rudder damage if the bulkhead was compromised, bent shaft for example.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 13:31   #186

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
There has to be more to the story. A bulkhead "failing" doesn't sink a boat unless it is part of some other event.
NeilPride made a statement a few pages back, about how Benis were different, and designed with more of the boat's structure dependent on the bulkhead. I don't know if that's accurate ... can anyone else here confirm?

Maybe he meant just the 50's. Or maybe I completely misinterpreted what he said. I know nothing about them.
Old 29-04-2014, 13:34   #187
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

When you say the rudder snapped off.. do you mean the stock snapped.. or the rudder snapped off the stock.
Also... when the bulkhead popped on my H37 it was when a wave dumped right on top of me.. did not see how big it was as I was below at the time.. but it felt like I'd been hit by a brick wall.
I was hove to at the time..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 13:35   #188

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post

Sad about bennies and jennies though. Look nice. Production nice. Thought they got over the stigma. Built stronger; better fittings. But alas…me bin mistaken.

Doesn't matter old boats me like, but wish I had money for brand new one.
You've written off all boats ever made by Bennie and Jennie based on one CF thread?? I had no idea this forum was so powerful . . . .

B & J (now the same company, but twas not always so) have made bajillions of boats. Some are dogs (the B50, a pure el-cheapo charter boat, has a fairly bad reputation). Some are really very good (pre-hull liner era Jennies are fab; just one example). Some are built pretty skimpy; others pretty strong. I wouldn't paint with such a broad brush if I were you. I bashed a chartered Oceanis 431 around the Aegean for a few weeks in the Meltemi, with winds up to 50 knots, and found it plenty solid. Indeed it was altogether a good boat (terrific sailing qualities), and the only thing which really bothered me was the hideous plastic laminate sole.

But that being said, there sure are a lot of boats in the sea -- lots of interesting choices. I just lost a long-time crewman to a late '90's Moody 46, which he snapped up for only 160,000 GBP (about $265,000). Absolutely gorgeous boat for near- Bene money (course at that age, and after a few ocean crossings, it will need some investment and updating). That's a real hand-made, stick-built boat with massive stringers, frames, structural bulkheads, for those nervous about structural integrity.

But it's not a new boat, of course, which is a big negative.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 13:38   #189
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
NeilPride made a statement a few pages back, about how Benis were different, and designed with more of the boat's structure dependent on the bulkhead. Dunno if that's accurate ... can anyone else here confirm?

So what?

It amazes me how many world renowned boat designers we have on this site that can condemn some many boat designs
Old 29-04-2014, 13:49   #190

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So what?

It amazes me how many world renowned boat designers we have on this site that can condemn some many boat designs
Exactly. That's the question I'm asking.
Old 29-04-2014, 13:54   #191

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
It can't be a blue water... Its windows are too big! And why isn't that guy in the doghouse bailing water?? That yacht isn't sunk yet-- It's just mostly sunk!
What I think is strange about it is that there is still the mainsail cover on! No heads'l Do you suppose they just took it out to sink? or it was photoshopped?

Ann
Old 29-04-2014, 14:13   #192

Now I can't find the NeilPride post that I just referenced a couple messages before this. Either I misread something or am losing my mind. Maybe it's one of those kinds of threads...
Old 29-04-2014, 15:15   #193

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
My personal view is **** happens at sea.. oh.. its also my experience..
In the last 10yrs I've sailed brand new Lagoons and down to 40yr old ply boats.. they've all had problems and one nearly sank on me..
From where I sit RH's episode had more to do with personal/crew reasons than critical boat failure.. Alpha 42 seemed a combination that happened at a bad time of year.. Blue Pearl to date seems a past gear failure led to her breaking up in heavy weather..
None of these events in my view condemn the boats or builders..
else there'd be boats going down left right and centre..
I'm primarily interested in the real story as its my kinda 'Who Dunnit..' for personal/work related reasons I like to know as it allows me to sit back and analyse the events and MY possible response's and solutions.. or.. would I.. like them abandon ship..
Okay.. I joke about Bene's.. (love visualising MarkJ going red in the face) and Hunters (same for Sailor and a coupla others).. but in the main most boats are more than capable of more than their purpose.. for example a Mac 26x is not meant for the oceans.. but.. you could do a crossing in one.. at the right time and Latitude..
So sad tho' it is for those involved in the catastrophes.. its a valuable contribution to the learning curve for others like me.. and.. lets be honest.. those who 'know' soon sort out the wheat from the chaff..
Play On folks...
+1 . When did you become so eloquent and sage-like?

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 15:18   #194

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
What I think is strange about it is that there is still the mainsail cover on! No heads'l Do you suppose they just took it out to sink? or it was photoshopped?

Ann
Hummm, I don't think so. The boat was found by sheer luck by a plane looking for the missing Malaysian plane and that's probably when the photo was taken.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 15:27   #195
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
+1 . When did you become so eloquent and sage-like?

Vic
I think it was my version of a brain fart.. or the Bundi's finally worn off..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote