Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2014, 14:21   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

I believe they had just purchased and renamed it
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 14:24   #122
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe they had just purchased and renamed it
and yet according to YBW, there was no survey since 2007, are these people nuts

dave
Old 28-04-2014, 14:33   #123
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
and yet according to YBW, there was no survey since 2007, are these people nuts

dave
There's a few of us about..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 14:41   #124

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Assuming the previous info is accurate and it appears to be...some additional info on the boat from Bluewaters2812 sister group profile:

About Bluewaters2812
Custom Forum: Boat Brand
Beneteau Oceanis
Other names
Lisa & Dexter
Boat brand
Beneteau
Boat model
Year built
Boat Name
Tylosa
Serial number
SSR155058

A photo from the broker's sold page:

Name:   ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1398721002.822264.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  29.8 KB
http://www.caraibe-yachts.com/en/boa...ngth=48:0&pg=3

Glad all including the pup are safe. I really feel for them with the issues they have had since buying the boat.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 14:50   #125

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
if were talking about the blue pearl, we seem to have no confirmation its actually a benny at all

dave
I was responding to SaltyMonkey's question about converting a 3-cabin Bene to a 2-cabin. I didn't mean to imply that the Blue Pearl was a Bene, or had done any renovation regardless of type.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 14:54   #126

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
I'd need to hear the full story to pass judgement.

dave
Didn't you get the message? That is so last lost boat thread. Things have changed for this one. Do try to keep up.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 14:55   #127

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Minaret knows the construction of Beneteaus because of countless of hours of work. A64Pilot knows because he saw the depression and understood its significance. I have only seen one Beneteau, under repair in Yamba, its bow was about 3/4 torn off, from running into a trawler. When we looked closely at the layup, there were gaps in the layup where there was just air.

This was just one boat, but it did make us think.

We have a delivery skipper friend who delivered a Beneteau from the med to Australia, and who incidentally did one BOC round the world race, a competent fellow, and he said it "corkescrewed" a lot, made him nervous enough that he hasn't delivered any more of them. This is a guy who went from just before Cape Horn to the Falklands under jury rig.

I think the older ones were better made than the newer ones. I think the previous poster who said there are good ones and bad ones is correct. And I don't know if I could be sure of telling that difference if I were in the market at this time. Now THAT is scary. And I suspect that is why the pro-Beneteau folks say we're Beneteau bashing: nobody wants their darling criticized, and that reaction is an emotional one.

In fact although some of those boats may have no problems, some of them have intrinsic problems (like glue insteat of fiberglass bonding the bottom of the bulkheads to the hull), and the rudder attachments--or non-attachments commented on a few pages back, and calling those who point out those facts, easily verified, "Bendy Bashers", won't change the facts.

Ann
Old 28-04-2014, 14:56   #128

Boat: Valiant 42

Again, I am thankful that the family and friend were rescued. No doubt the ship that was diverted had to have a good pilot to find and pick them out of a tiny life raft.

Surely the Beneteau 50 that lost a rudder late last year had a survey after the collision and repair so I would question whether it's the same boat.

My question is which insurance company will "negotiate" a policy on a boat that has not been surveyed in 7 years? I thought this was a non-starter for all insurance companies.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 15:00   #129
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
And I suspect that is why the pro-Beneteau folks say we're Beneteau bashing: nobody wants their darling criticized, and that reaction is an emotional one.

Ann
I think its more financial than emotional Ann.. no one wants their darling de-valued..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 15:05   #130

Boat: Valiant 42

SC was posting while I was typing. So this appears to be the same boat. If so, then it doesn't seem to be a Bendy bashing candidate. A more likely scenario is the boat was seriously damaged in whatever event (or events) caused the rudder failure. The damage could have gone unnoticed. We don't have facts but the difficulty in finding damage is another reason I don't like hull liners.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 15:19   #131
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Note to Self:

Should you ever sell your home in exchange for a 50 cruising boat, on which the rudder subsequently falls off when sailing in 15 knots of wind, make sure your insurance policy is squared away before attempting to cross the North Atlantic in April...

Even if it means delaying your departure until "negotiations" with an underwriter are concluded...

Copied from the Grenada Cruisers Facebook page:

If these folks are indeed forum members who have "lost everything", and don't have a home to go home to, I think we should once again take up a collection. I'd happily chip in (again). Maybe someday we can start the CF funded "Old Seafarers Home".

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 15:20   #132

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I think it best not to get into comparisons with the auto industry - it is quite different, and highly regulated (and tested). There are many definitions of "quality"; the one commonly used for cars is frequency of repairs, and in that regard the high volume mass produced models are far ahead of the expensive models. In fact, in the last decade Mercedes has suffered with sales, at least in the US, because of highly publicized quality problems, while Hyundai/Kia has had huge sales increases along with their improved quality. Simply stated, it is not possible to attain quality levels with hand craftsmanship that are available with high volume production. But as automated as some yacht plants are I don't see them rising to this level.

Older designs (like my boat) were built (overly) stout for two reasons: first, many folks mistook rigidity for strength, and second loads were spread throughout the hull. Fiberglass can be both flexible and strong; to make a boat as rigid with FG as a wooden boat makes it much stronger than needed, which was typical in the early years of FG. And modern boats tend to not use the hull for much loading - the chainplates attach to bulkheads to hull liners, which have the keels attached. Thus the hull doesn't need to be strong enough to carry that (high) load. Unfortunately this has been pushed too far at times. I have known a Bendy that was easy to oilcan the bow; arguably there was no need for stronger layup to carry the rigging loads, but personally I would be a bit nervous about impact resistance. That is why another famous brand touted a Kevlar layer - it added back impact resistance without making a heavy layup.

I believe that modern lightweight designs can be built to high standards. However I have seen too many corners cut on too many boats to make any assumptions: I would pay for the best damn survey possible before buying any boat.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 15:21   #133
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
SC was posting while I was typing. So this appears to be the same boat. If so, then it doesn't seem to be a Bendy bashing candidate. A more likely scenario is the boat was seriously damaged in whatever event (or events) caused the rudder failure. The damage could have gone unnoticed. We don't have facts but the difficulty in finding damage is another reason I don't like hull liners.

+ many. A large percentage of previously repaired groundings I have seen repaired all external damage and completely ignored all internal damage like failed bulkhead tabbing and stringer tabbing, etc. Often even in boats without a hull liner. Rudder damage + failed aft bulkhead sounds suspect to me. That bulkhead probably isn't too far from the rudder.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 15:23   #134
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post

I agree , I said this before. This boat must have had serious issues. There no way 25 foot sea in themselves would trash a 50 boat.

ann , it's not a case of bendy bashers. Actually here everyone defends there own boats. Today I don't own a beneteau. I have sailed a lot of them and yes you get good and bad models. Equally you get damage that is subject to cosmetic repair.

I been in the beneteau plant. I've seen the assembly. I also see 1000s pounding around Northern Europe, nothing suggests they are not fit for purpose.

I suspect there is more to blue pearls demise then we have understood. We gave RH the benefit of the doubt , let's wait and see of they come on to tell us what happened

Interestingly what happened to bluewater2182 cat, it seems to have morphed to a puppy

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28-04-2014, 15:23   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Article I read stated the boat cost £155,000, and the daughters were left at home in the £300,000 house, so I don't think they lost their home.
I did wonder what the fascination of how much the boat and house cost though?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote