Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2014, 13:25   #106

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I give up
Try a different analogy??

You are completely correct however in that you want bullet proof 1000 miles off shore in the North Atlantic.

My wife totaled two Volvo XC70's. Neither was her fault but the second time could have killed her. Very safe cars with lots of air bags.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 13:26   #107
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

It would seem , according to Phil ( Boatman) that its possible an Atlantic 49 , which is a wooden boat I believe. SO all the Bendy jokes can be taken back. I would have been surprised as a GRP boat would easily have withstood the reported conditions and even bulkheads moving rant an issue.

Just by comparison

A beneteau sense 43 wegihs in at 10.4 metric tonnes, a high end cruier like the new Gunfleet 43 ( made by blind nuns in the UK, all upmarket finishes) ex Oyster people weighs in at 13tonnes, The Benny is lighter, easily explained by the cheaper and ligther interior, but overall little in the difference,

perhaps rather then relying on third hand information or isolated reports, you actually would say a Benny, Jenny or Bav and actually undertand what thee vessels can withstand.

dave
Old 28-04-2014, 13:35   #108

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It would seem , according to Phil ( Boatman) that its possible an Atlantic 49 , which is a wooden boat I believe. SO all the Bendy jokes can be taken back. I would have been surprised as a GRP boat would easily have withstood the reported conditions and even bulkheads moving rant an issue.

Just by comparison

A beneteau sense 43 wegihs in at 10.4 metric tonnes, a high end cruier like the new Gunfleet 43 ( made by blind nuns in the UK, all upmarket finishes) ex Oyster people weighs in at 13tonnes, The Benny is lighter, easily explained by the cheaper and ligther interior, but overall little in the difference,

perhaps rather then relying on third hand information or isolated reports, you actually would say a Benny, Jenny or Bav and actually undertand what thee vessels can withstand.

dave
Bluewater2812 had a 50 foot Beneteau.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 13:38   #109
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Q: as i posted above…could he have modified the aft bulkhead?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 13:44   #110

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The analogies here are humorous. More expensive = better built, better reliability.

The humor part is when comparing to the recent Mac/PC thread(s), where the more expensive Mac products are lambasted because of price, and because cheap PC's give about the same performance and reliability.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 13:44   #111

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

I am sorry to hear about the loss of Blue Pearl but happy to hear no one was seriously hurt. The person I've seen referenced had posted this in another thread late March:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=1503167

"Re: Dutch sailor missing in the Atlantic
I have just picked up on this thread and really hope their is a good outcome. For the little it is worth I will be crossing the pond West to East mid April and even though I might be somewhat more North I will keep Pokerface in mind and keep a lookout.

In the meantime NEVER GIVE UP!

Len"

Does it seem to put him in the area? (I haven't consulted a map to identify the area.)
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 13:45   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I surveyed a much newer beautifully maintained and well equipped production boat, had put money down on it and everything, the survey was to be a formality.
I started looking hard, there was a "soft" spot, a concave portion of the bottom that I could actually flex the hull, I had been forewarned to look for this, had been told that this flexing hull wasn't an issue really a lot of this model had it.
Started looking at the bulkheads, the tabbbing, some had pulled loose. There was simply a lot of glass missing from this boat, things that aren't supposed to flex, did.
The Corian countertops were beautiful, much nicer than the boat I bought, a Yanmar is a Yanmar, winches were the same etc.
But dig inside, take things apart and that is where you see the differences. Open the electrical panel on my IP and the wire sizing is noticabely larger, wires are run and protected better and your looking at an automatic Halon fire extinguisher, tore into the entire boat and eventhough she is 27 yrs old, I couldn't find ANY structural thing that needed any work at all.

You guys can keep trying to pretend a Hyundai is actually superior to a Mercedes, or other better manufactured European automobiles and inexpensive production boats are just as good as the much higher priced lower production number boats, but your only fooling yourselves.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 13:47   #113

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Q: as i posted above…could he have modified the aft bulkhead?
The 3 cabin Bene 50's that I have been on have had the two cabins in the bow, where a non-structural longitudinal bulkhead divides the bow compartment into two cabins. The one I know that has converted a 3-cabin to 2-cabin has removed that bulkhead with no issues.

Of course, he could have converted to a 2-cabin layout by removing the large rear cabin instead, I guess.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 13:54   #114
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
You guys can keep trying to pretend a Hyundai is actually superior to a Mercedes, or other better manufactured European automobiles and inexpensive production boats are just as good as the much higher priced lower production number boats, but your only fooling yourselves.
I don't for a minute argue that they are " equivalent", a mercedes is not the same as a hyundai. what is apparent , just like the cars, is that both will get you where you want to go, and both will generally take more abuse then the crew will.

I've sailed IPs. i wouldn't rate the mast hardware for example , but undoubtably they are fine boats. however here for example, they are twice to three times the price of an equivalent production boat. i hope thats buying you a whole heap of "quality", personally i doubt it .

a merc is definitely better then a hyundai, but three times as good or 10 times as good, i think not

dave
Old 28-04-2014, 13:55   #115
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The 3 cabin Bene 50's that I have been on have had the two cabins in the bow, where a non-structural longitudinal bulkhead divides the bow compartment into two cabins. The one I know that has converted a 3-cabin to 2-cabin has removed that bulkhead with no issues.

Of course, he could have converted to a 2-cabin layout by removing the large rear cabin instead, I guess.

Mark

if were talking about the blue pearl, we seem to have no confirmation its actually a benny at all

dave
Old 28-04-2014, 14:03   #116

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
if were talking about the blue pearl, we seem to have no confirmation its actually a benny at all

dave
YBW think it is and have posted a library picture:

Brits' 49ft yacht 'not insured' for loss | Yachting Monthly
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 14:07   #117
Eternal Member

Note to Self:

Should you ever sell your home in exchange for a 50 cruising boat, on which the rudder subsequently falls off when sailing in 15 knots of wind, make sure your insurance policy is squared away before attempting to cross the North Atlantic in April...

Even if it means delaying your departure until "negotiations" with an underwriter are concluded...

Copied from the Grenada Cruisers Facebook page:

Quote:

Such sad news! Tylosa, renamed Blue Pearl a 50ft Benetau, with my friends Len, Lisa and Dexter (their dog) plus a crew member, lost their home heading for the Azores. Luckily all 4 were safely rescued and are back on land safe and sound, but not being insured due to delays in negotiating same, have lost everything, except their lives! I met them down in Prickly in Grenada and many others out here on this FB page also will know of them. I have been in contact with Len and Lisa and confirmed that it was their aft bulkhead that broke up. Sadly it could all be related to previous damage that was not picked up in a survey when they bought the boat as a few months ago they lost their rudder off Martinique and a new one was fitted, but obviously no-body saw any other damage then. Very sad.
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 14:08   #118
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
YBW think it is and have posted a library picture:

Brits' 49ft yacht 'not insured' for loss | Yachting Monthly

well stock photos are all very well. interesting the 50 is one of the better beneteaus , so even a bulkhead moving wouldn't incapacitate the boat. I'd need to hear the full story to pass judgement.

dave
Old 28-04-2014, 14:09   #119
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

I suggested it was an Atlantic 49 because in my travels since 2000 its the only Blue Pearl I've seen.. fiberglass boat built in Greece in 1992..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 14:17   #120
Nearly an old salt

theres over 50 vessels listed in the MARS database called blue pearl. interestingly not one is UK registered. one would have thought that a ocean going vessel with epirb and presumably ships radio station would be registered.

dave