Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2014, 11:55   #31

Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

I wonder if the bulkhead was really rotten or something? Do Bendis use wooden bulk heads?

Chalk up another mark for EPIRBs though. Glad those folks made it out of the sea alright.
Old 27-04-2014, 12:21   #32
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

2006 Beneteau Oceanis ex-Tylosa 50 foot (marketed in USA as 49)

Voilier Occasion beneteau oceanis50 Quillard 50 pieds (15.2 mètres) 2006 | Bateau, location de voilier et sport nautique

The correct season for that trip 900 miles NE of Bermuda is June to August.

Sail only in the correct season!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 12:27   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Especially in a Beneteau!!

I was considering the purchase of a new 36CC around 1999. At the Southampton boat show, I noticed they all had the bulkheads simply glued in with no glass and especially no mechanical fastening. Commonly an adhesive called plexus was used. I had seen a number if these plexus joints on tight flanges fail on racing boats.

I did not buy a Beneteau, but in fairness I recall the newer moody at the showing using roughly the same construction.
Old 27-04-2014, 12:29   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

And May is often cited as the correct season for cross from Bermuda NE to Europe. Certainly wouldn't want to be out there in late July and August!
Old 27-04-2014, 13:23   #35

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

I dont think the bulkhead fail first, mostly the liner, we refit a bene 50 3 years ago here , if i remember well the bulkhead is glued with plexus and FG tabed to the hull sides , but not in the bottom, , cant remember well, the hull lay up is thin in the topsides and some áreas in the bottom , we check this when we replace the trough hulls, the liner looks like robust and well made it but again is glued with plexus in the bottom, i will say 100% sure that if the liner or bulkhead fail the hull integrity is in danger to break, not enough hull thickness ,,,

Why it happen? no idea but my 2 cents this boat got a tough live previously, groundings , pounding to seas etc...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 13:29   #36

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
I saw it was your first post and was about to say welcome aboard, then I saw you joined in 2008!
You are a man of few words.

Vic
Wel V.V., many thanks. I suppose I have just been busy with other things. Irony is I used to be a man of very many... since 2008 have been full time at sea, pretty much, as a commercial skipper and liveaboard home. Currently in NZ prepping for heading up to SE Asia. Winter is coming, as the Starks say...

WRT the thread: I have sailed some good Bendis and some bad ones. I have seen some terrible ones. 3 years ago one was badly damaged by poor anchoring in Antigua, and salvaged to the hard at Slipway, where it sat for several months. The damage was very extensive with many holes, keel snapped off and rudder missing. This afforded a lot of inspection opportunity, as I passed by many times on other errands. The construction was of a sandwich type which I can only describe as wafer thin, but the real treat was the rudder. For sticking out of her rear was no less or more than 18 inches of shiny metal, perhaps 1"1/2. It was beautifully squared off at the bottom, with no evidence ever of having been welded to straps or even knurled. Yes. This unskegged rudder had simply been glued on, like a toy. Some of the earlier bendis and a few laters were well enough made. However...

Reminds me of a Czech acquaintance I met in Daniel's Bay, Nuku Hiva last year. He had a Bendi Oceanis in the high forties or so, he had bought new. It was not 2 years old and pretty much falling to pieces. He had sailed it from the Eastern Med to, well, Nuku Hiva, and was bewailing a catalogue of issues. He said to me that when he had finally had enough of it he had given them one more angry call and said that he would never have bought the boat had he known then what he knows now. They asked him where he was sailing. On hearing his reply, they said: "Well it wasn't designed for that!". There you go. Horses mouth.
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 14:53   #37

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post

...Reminds me of a Czech acquaintance I met in Daniel's Bay, Nuku Hiva last year. He had a Bendi Oceanis in the high forties or so, he had bought new. It was not 2 years old and pretty much falling to pieces. He had sailed it from the Eastern Med to, well, Nuku Hiva, and was bewailing a catalogue of issues. He said to me that when he had finally had enough of it he had given them one more angry call and said that he would never have bought the boat had he known then what he knows now. They asked him where he was sailing. On hearing his reply, they said: "Well it wasn't designed for that!". There you go. Horses mouth.
But Beneteau names that model the "Océanis", not the Bayis or the Coastalis or the ICW Canalis or the Lacis; or is my Français pas de calcul?
"Oceanis", eh? These aren't run of the mill consumer products with MadAve fanciful names, or just plain mislabeled ones, are they?
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 15:07   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
But Beneteau names that model the "Océanis", not the Bayis or the Coastalis or the ICW Canalis or the Lacis; or is my Français pas de calcul?
"Oceanis", eh? These aren't run of the mill consumer products with MadAve fanciful names, or just plain mislabeled ones, are they?
Of course not.. they're high quality items built with the latest technology and materials... not like those 60's, 70's and 80's pieces of crap littering the oceans of the world..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 15:15   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
Cher TX J, non, c'est exact. C'est marron mais vrai, les Oceanis ne sont pas construit pour service océanique!
Old 27-04-2014, 15:18   #40

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A Beneteau 50 sank about 4 weeks ago somewhere off Gabo Is. After the people were rescued, haven't heard a whisper of why it was sinking. I suspected the throughhulls, but have no basis in fact for the suspicion.

If one only knew how to address their problems in advance..... You can't do much about a too-light layup, that puppy's going to twist, and I suppose the glue gets tired of the flexing, so *stuff* comes agley. ...And most such boats are insured....

Ann
Old 27-04-2014, 15:28   #41
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Is this turning into a Beneteau, Catalina, Hunter thread ?

Oh, I forgot, its not the boat that fails, its the crew
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 15:33   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Is this turning into a Beneteau, Catalina, Hunter thread ?

Oh, I forgot, its not the boat that fails, its the crew
Well, in this case it does appear to have been the boat, so it was rather in question, and so a discussion of the relative seaworthiness of such craft is warranted, no?
Old 27-04-2014, 15:40   #43
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Well, in this case it does appear to have been the boat, so it was rather in question, and so a discussion of the relative seaworthiness of such craft is warranted, no?
…or the season. Whatever the reason, hardly give me confidences in new production boats. Think I will have to go back to my more conservative listings and forget about them.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 15:40   #44

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Of course not.. they're high quality items built with the latest technology and materials... not like those 60's, 70's and 80's pieces of crap littering the oceans of the world..
Ahemmm... 30+years here and still going strong, and the ol' Wind Wanderer will probably still be sailing long after I'm gone unless I do something incredibly stupid, or sell her to an inexperienced couple of dreamers who open the seacocks on her
In spite of groundings and poundings she is rock solid. Survived Hurricane Sandy and standing up quite well to partner Sandy

Africa has legends of remote graveyards where elephant go to die. You know that ocean of plastic everyone talks about floating in the pacific....?

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 15:47   #45
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Blue Pearl Sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
…or the season. Whatever the reason, hardly give me confidences in new production boats. Think I will have to go back to my more conservative listings and forget about them.

Since we really know nothing about the state of the craft or the actual situation. It's hard to comment. They claimed 25 ft seas. Any boat sailed badly in that type of sea state ( especially if they had breaking waves) could sustain damage.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk