Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-05-2014, 04:04   #346

Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

It's interesting to see the different production methods of the various mass-production yards. Catalina laminating separately and then gluing the upper and lower deck parts together was an interesting one (eek!). Hunter's interior assembly jig was impressive, and in general their setup didn't look too bad, although the promo video is presumably careful to miss out any dodgy bits. Of course, the different videos are of different ages, but Catalina's wood varnishing, for example, seems to be pretty inefficient compared to, say, what I have seen Bavaria doing. I suppose different yards have different priorities for automating processes. What exactly do Lagoon mean by 'reconstituted' wood I wonder?

And now for something completely different...

Old 09-05-2014, 04:51   #347

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
The value of the boat now is a fraction of what was new so the replacement cost in case of loss is much smaller, no wonder you pay the same that in fact is more since the boat worth a lot less.
I don't think it's quite as simple as that. The cost of the insurance has gone down slowly but steadily, but I'd have to go back thru records to ascertain if that is currency exchange, no-claims discounts, or what. I'm not interested enough to go thru all that.

I don't know what the purchase price of a new First would have been in 1987. That's a good question. I do know she is better equipped than when new. We hope when she sells to get more than 50% of the price paid for her back when she was 6 years old, so I'm not talking about an old derelict.

Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 20:54   #348

Boat: PETERSON 44

Looking at the posted adverts. I like Hans. It's a better packaged video. Hunter flopped to many holes with promises. Didn't back up detailed statements. How are those chain plate bolts done. What is that barrier layer? How is that bedded? Why are the penetrations not epoxy separated.
Benny didn't back anything up. Looked like a nice piece with a secure facility. I liked the clear tubes getting dark with resin. Morris is a great boat. A bunch of white guys that are proud of building these. Like I care. At least hunter showed us putting glass over the chain plate area. Morris likes white dudes being all proud of how they lay up glass.If I were dumb enough to buy a boat from these vids I would buy the Hanse. Nothing I say is my true opinion it just reflects the advertising that was posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21-05-2014, 05:58   #349

Boat: 55' sloop.

Ok. Don't have the energy to read back just now on what has become a very long thread, as in the couple of weeks I have been being beaten up by duelling massive high in the Tasman vs. large scale convection spawning cyclonic rotation over Fiji-Tonga. Just arrived the former, made it through the Navula passage at 3 last morning, and 2 hours sleep since then on account of various. But I do know that Cheeki Rafiki makes the third Beneteau to break up in rough ocean conditions in the past 5 or so weeks. A lightly defended production cruiser racer pushed to its limits over a considerable period. Likely in this case the unexplained water ingress was due to a keel bolt failure which progressed to catastrophic. Best guess? Liferaft was never launched as full capsize occured in a few seconds. Possible crew survival inside upturned hull. I hope that the focus is not only on liferaft. Crew may still be alive inside hull if actively managed... I hope so. But having just taken 10 days of hard pasting including 3 days hove to, I can attest, with once again fresh eyes, that I would prefer to do so inside a properly defended (for Ocean service) hull. And do, as a matter of fact.
Old 05-06-2014, 16:16   #350

Boat: Niagara 35

I just got the following advertisement email from ACR:
Quote:
In October of 2013, Len and Lisa Rorke activated their ACR EPIRB and became members of our SurvivorClub family after their sailboats rudder broke leaving them without any steering.

To everyone's shock and disbelief not even six months later, lightning struck again. This time the couple along with their dog Dexter and a crew mate Henri Worthalter were 13 days into crossing the Atlantic Ocean heading to the United Kingdom. Their journey ended with two days of gale force winds and high seas which broke their sailboat, The Blue Pearl, in half. "We were 950 nautical miles from the Azores (about halfway between the Azores and Bermuda), and could not have been further from land if we tried. We had been battling heavy weather for a week and the last two days of storms battered our boat so badly that it sank right in the middle of the North Atlantic in huge seas, strong winds and in the dead of night", stated Len, Captain of The Blue Pearl.

Luckily, they had their new ACR EPIRB... Again!
Old 05-06-2014, 18:25   #351
Head in a locker

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

They appear to have forgotten to mention the Kraken!
Old 06-06-2014, 03:28   #352

Boat: Valiant 42

Broke in half? Really?
Old 24-07-2014, 01:25   #353

Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

There has been an incredible amount of speculation and supposition. I am so glad we did not read the posts just after our ordeal.

sailorboy take note of the FACTS

To put the record straight - the boat was surveyed in 2012 (previous owner purchase) and 2013 (our purchase). It was hauled out three times by us. In January 2014 we were at Riverside boatyard and had the keel strengthened amongst other safety precautions for the crossing.

We have never run aground.

We saw the boat sink completely beneath the waves from a life raft- it was not abandoned.

Our survival depended our actions at the time of sinking as well as USCG. Len is an experienced sea rescue volunteer and has saved many lives in South Africa. His calm organised approach was vital that night.

Len is a very experienced sailor and Captain - with 20 years of experience that enabled us to encounter tough conditions and survive.

Lisa Rorke
Old 24-07-2014, 01:46   #354

Pretty good report. The concept that there just 'had' to be prior damage is pretty normal. There are a lot of owners of similar built boats and no one wants to accept that this same thing might happen to them. Its a normal human response. Maybe there was prior damage but its just as possible that there wasn't and under these harsher conditions it failed.I also think losing their rudder previously was also very possible without prior damage because there are dozens of similar reports of rudder loses without prior damage on all types of boats.
What can't be debated is the great job the skipper and crew did when it came to getting their butts off the boat in an organized manner, wonderful!
Old 24-07-2014, 05:21   #355
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
There has been an incredible amount of speculation and supposition. I am so glad we did not read the posts just after our ordeal.

sailorboy take note of the FACTS

To put the record straight - the boat was surveyed in 2012 (previous owner purchase) and 2013 (our purchase). It was hauled out three times by us. In January 2014 we were at Riverside boatyard and had the keel strengthened amongst other safety precautions for the crossing.

We have never run aground.

hope that wasn't directed at me since I haven't said anything I feel is negative and had to go back 3+ pages to even find a post

but I would never consider a boat survey as be a FACT and doubt 90+% of surveyors would even have looked much at the rudder post unless told something to get their attention

We never will know what happened to the boat's rudder. But rudders don't I feel just fall off.

Is it a FACT that this boat had the rudder replaced earlier?
Old 24-07-2014, 05:43   #356

Sailorboy1 -this was one of your posts - page 7

"I have a better lesson, don't smash your rudder on a rock, replace it in the water, never haul out the boat for inspection, then take it sailing across an ocean."

I would like to explain once more - that these are the facts.

1. We did have a survey.
2. We hauled out 3 times in 6 months.
3. The boat was not sailed across the ocean without inspection after the rudder was replaced.

I hope this clears up your confusion about the negative post and the facts and that we can move on.

Lisa Rorke
Old 24-07-2014, 05:50   #357
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
hope that wasn't directed at me since I haven't said anything I feel is negative and had to go back 3+ pages to even find a post

but I would never consider a boat survey as be a FACT and doubt 90+% of surveyors would even have looked much at the rudder post unless told something to get their attention

We never will know what happened to the boat's rudder. But rudders don't I feel just fall off.

Is it a FACT that this boat had the rudder replaced earlier?
My impression was the rudder NOT falling off sank the boat..
if it HAD just fallen off.. jury rig an emergency rudder (using your boom if nothing else) and sail on albeit more slowly..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 05:59   #358

Correct boatman :-) .

The boat sank because of the reasons given at the start of this post - clearly shown in the video.

Lisa
Old 24-07-2014, 06:31   #359
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Sailorboy1 -this was one of your posts - page 7

"I have a better lesson, don't smash your rudder on a rock, replace it in the water, never haul out the boat for inspection, then take it sailing across an ocean."

I would like to explain once more - that these are the facts.

1. We did have a survey.
2. We hauled out 3 times in 6 months.
3. The boat was not sailed across the ocean without inspection after the rudder was replaced.

I hope this clears up your confusion about the negative post and the facts and that we can move on.

Lisa Rorke
So was there a detailed inspection done on the rudder structural system? Was it by someone other that a "standard" surveyor as there lots of threads here about how good that sometimes is?

If it wasn't a structural failure from a past event, what is your theory on why the system failed as would seem it only could then be a design or a construction issue.
Old 24-07-2014, 06:55   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So was there a detailed inspection done on the rudder structural system? Was it by someone other that a "standard" surveyor as there lots of threads here about how good that sometimes is?

If it wasn't a structural failure from a past event, what is your theory on why the system failed as would seem it only could then be a design or a construction issue.
Sailorboy, this is not what I started the new post for so please stop this back and forth nonsense. The entire rudder area was closely inspected by two separate professionals in their field for any signs of problems/hairline cracks etc etc. Not just by a surveyor ... but in addition to.

If I knew the exact reason for the failure as seen in the video I would not be here trying to make sense of it and reaching out to sensible people to provide input. I am not one for speculation and assumptions so please, if you have something concrete to add try and do so without sarcasm. This is the last I will respond to nonsensical input. I will only be responding to my latest thread from now on. There has been a ton of completely wrong assumptions and inaccurate postings here on this thread. I really don't have the time nor energy to continually sit on the internet to deal with this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: