Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2014, 15:26   #136
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Article I read stated the boat cost 155,000 lbs, and the daughters were left at home in the $300,000 lb house, so I don't think they lost their home.
I did wonder what the fascination of how much the boat and house cost though?

That's more in line from what I would have assumed, just based on their age, boat choice, and what appears to be a paid skipper or crew from Belgium.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 15:40   #137

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
+ many. A large percentage of previously repaired groundings I have seen repaired all external damage and completely ignored all internal damage like failed bulkhead tabbing and stringer tabbing, etc. Often even in boats without a hull liner. Rudder damage + failed aft bulkhead sounds suspect to me. That bulkhead probably isn't too far from the rudder.

The pan liner in the bene 50 end at the aft bulkhead , from there to the stern there is a separate locker divided between the bulkhead and the stern, you can get in from the helm cockpit hatches, inside there is a FG tube fiberglased at the bottom to the hull and the sides glased to stern Wall, the bulkhead its glased all the way sides and bottom with FG tape, the rudder shaft is Fg, to break that bulkhead you need a brutal collision , note that the bulkhead is not linked with the rudder post in any way as far i remember, its glased to the stern ... now the space and Access to this locker is really good if you need to do any emergency repair or maintenance in the rudder post, arm link with the wheels, hope this help a bit to figúrate the bulkhead set up....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 15:56   #138
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
The pan liner in the bene 50 end at the aft bulkhead , from there to the stern there is a separate locker divided between the bulkhead and the stern, you can get in from the helm cockpit hatches, inside there is a FG tube fiberglased at the bottom to the hull and the sides glased to stern Wall, the bulkhead its glased all the way sides and bottom with FG tape, the rudder shaft is Fg, to break that bulkhead you need a brutal collision , note that the bulkhead is not linked with the rudder post in any way as far i remember, its glased to the stern ... now the space and Access to this locker is really good if you need to do any emergency repair or maintenance in the rudder post, arm link with the wheels, hope this help a bit to figúrate the bulkhead set up....

Definitely. We already know this boat grounded hard enough to damage the rudder shaft enough for it to eventually fall off. The same collision could possibly have damaged the bulkhead tabbing. The rudder damage was not discovered or ignored, the same could be true of possible bulkhead damage.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 16:09   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Definitely. We already know this boat grounded hard enough to damage the rudder shaft enough for it to eventually fall off. The same collision could possibly have damaged the bulkhead tabbing. The rudder damage was not discovered or ignored, the same could be true of possible bulkhead damage.

But in any case its dificult to miss any hull crack or bulkhead crack under this locker , and the owner fit a new rudder in martinique, how its posible to miss serious hull cracks or bulkhead damaged ??
Old 28-04-2014, 16:23   #140

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post

Saying Beneteaus or Jeanneaus are intrinsically no different to Rustlers or Rassys is just silly. Certainly much of the increased cost of the latter comes from lack of economies of mass production, but it also comes from buying better equipment and spending more time on constructing the boat to a better standard. ....They're not bad boats and they do the job they're designed to do well, but they're cheaper for a reason. The likes of Rustler and Rassy target the people wanting a boat not just with a higher quality handbuilt interior, but which is easier to handle in bad weather because they have deeper more seakindly hulls, heavier displacement and more ballast, and which have fittings and a standard of construction which allows them to take a beating offshore with less likelihood of sustaining damage. I don't see why people feel the need to defend one against the other, because they are designed for different markets and different purposes.
Beneteaus are not particularly light. It is possible to build much lighter and stronger....at a bigger cost.

Regarding Halberg-Rassy being such a superior boat maybe you should read this:
Interesting Sailboats: STABILITY 1: MISLEADING BOATS - Hanse 345 / HR 342

The main difference beside the interior quality is the sailing hardware that is of better quality but you have many times the option of buying an upgraded mass production boat: they can sell it with bigger winches, better hardware....of course than it is not so cheap anymore

Last season I was sailing near one new HR 412 with strong winds and steep seas (short period nasty 2m waves). My boat is a lot lighter (about the same size) and I had heard that the 412 have a good sailing performance so I was interested in seeing how good it was. It seems that the owner of the HR was proud of his boat (with good reason) and was also interested in seeing how fast it was since obviously we were doing some sort of racing. The HR speed on a beam reach (with 25K) impressed me. Not as fast as my boat but not losing much. Then we rounded an Island and were struck by almost head winds, strong and gusty ones (30/45K). That and the short period waves made for a very rough ride and on that game the HR was not so good anymore: his angle to the wind was at least 7 degrees worse, possibly 10º and he was much slower. After half an our, already a small sail behind, he changed direction to a beam reach and went way.

Would is ride be more comfortable than mine? I doubt very much. Any boat would be very uncomfortable under those circumstances...unless you were having fun sailing it.

Even if each different boat is a particular case it seems to me that the difference you want to make between a HR/Rustler and other production boats is just too exaggerated.

Regarding Rustler, contrary to HR they were making old outdated designed sailboats. They are changing now and they are purposing now modern designs (37, 53 and 63) but I don't know if they will come in time to avoid bankruptcy: They are making very few boats for the dimension of the Shipyard.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 16:26   #141

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

She was a pretty yacht.

Pics:
http://www.bequiaphotoaction.com/sea...0224-0180.html

Interior at purchase about halfway down the page:
http://dextersstory.blogspot.com/201...1_archive.html

Too many to repost.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 17:23   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Beneteaus are not particularly light. It is possible to build much lighter and stronger....at a bigger cost.

Regarding Halberg-Rassy being such a superior boat maybe you should read this:
Interesting Sailboats: STABILITY 1: MISLEADING BOATS - Hanse 345 / HR 342

The main difference beside the interior quality is the sailing hardware that is of better quality but you have many times the option of buying an upgraded mass production boat: they can sell it with bigger winches, better hardware....of course than it is not so cheap anymore

Last season I was sailing near one new HR 412 with strong winds and steep seas (short period nasty 2m waves). My boat is a lot lighter (about the same size) and I had heard that the 412 have a good sailing performance so I was interested in seeing how good it was. It seems that the owner of the HR was proud of his boat (with good reason) and was also interested in seeing how fast it was since obviously we were doing some sort of racing. The HR speed on a beam reach (with 25K) impressed me. Not as fast as my boat but not losing much. Then we rounded an Island and were struck by almost head winds, strong and gusty ones (30/45K). That and the short period waves made for a very rough ride and on that game the HR was not so good anymore: his angle to the wind was at least 7 degrees worse, possibly 10º and he was much slower. After half an our, already a small sail behind, he changed direction to a beam reach and went way.

Would is ride be more comfortable than mine? I doubt very much. Any boat would be very uncomfortable under those circumstances...unless you were having fun sailing it.

Even if each different boat is a particular case it seems to me that the difference you want to make between a HR/Rustler and other production boats is just too exaggerated.

Regarding Rustler, contrary to HR they were making old outdated designed sailboats. They are changing now and they are purposing now modern designs (37, 53 and 63) but I don't know if they will come in time to avoid bankruptcy: They are making very few boats for the dimension of the Shipyard.

To name few diferences, HR glass the hull to deck joint inside, no pan liners in HR, a grid structure glassed to the hull, way stronger and robust v pan liner glued with plexus, just saying
Old 28-04-2014, 17:28   #143

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

ok..

..the Daily Mail has picked it up.. time for some hyperbole, misinformation and a plunge into the apparent 'brit' fascination with inverse snobbery and general negative comment on the value of peoples' assets:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...boat-sank.html

"'ee would 'ave made much better decisions at sea if 'is 'ouse was only worth 250 thousand pounds like everyone else's. Why couldn't he jus' stay at 'ome and be safe like everyone else an' suffocate in the miserable health and safety-conscious squalor we like to call England!?" asked a neighbor who is regarded as an expert on commenting.
Old 28-04-2014, 17:41   #144
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
ok..

..the Daily Mail has picked it up.. time for some hyperbole, misinformation and a plunge into the apparent 'brit' fascination with inverse snobbery and general negative comment on the value of peoples' assets:

British couple and dog plucked from life raft in Atlantic Ocean | Mail Online

"'ee would 'ave made much better decisions at sea if 'is 'ouse was only worth 250 thousand pounds like everyone else's. Why couldn't he jus' stay at 'ome and be safe like everyone else an' suffocate in the miserable health and safety-conscious squalor we like to call England!?" asked a neighbor who is regarded as an expert on commenting.
I didn't get any of that S**T you're spewing. The article was plain news pretty much already said.

They are damn lucky, and I feel for their loss. It was a pretty boat.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 17:51   #145

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Salty,

Classy response!

The average UK house price (for detached) is GBP242k. The Daily Mail's primary thrust is always to focus on facts that distinguish somebody as being different from "the rest of us" and therefore wrong by default. Anybody who's familiar with the DM or has lived in the UK will know what I'm talking about.

The real tragedy, as you point out, is that these people lost their boat and almost their lives. It's evident that they didn't intend this outcome, who would? Whether they made a mistake by buying a Beneteau or a whatever is beside the point. They got into trouble and now their dream is at the bottom of the ocean - hats off to the captain of the LPG tanker and the coordinating MCC for affecting a successful rescue.

Now let's get back on topic without any feeling the need to use foul language...

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk
Old 28-04-2014, 18:09   #146
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Salty,

Classy response!

The average UK house price (for detached) is GBP242k. The Daily Mail's primary thrust is always to focus on facts that distinguish somebody as being different from "the rest of us" and therefore wrong by default. Anybody who's familiar with the DM or has lived in the UK will know what I'm talking about.
I lived in the UK for 5 years and 3 in (british) cyprus and I still don't get what the H you're talking about in this article. So, they mention a 300k home. BFD. I guess you're trolling for a laugh or some sarcastic joke. Well
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 18:15   #147

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I have to agree that including the value of their landside home was egregious - it is not at all relevant to the story; just intended to place the couple into their proper location in the pecking order. It's an English thing, that for many is getting more than a little long in the tooth. The rest of the article looked good to me.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 19:23   #148

Boat: Beneteau 393

So lemme get this straight. A HC 36 apparently looses steering, takes on water, and is ultimately abandoned & scuttled in relatively benign conditions and no one casts judgement...

And then a Bene 50 with prior structural issues (be it a "lemon" boat, prior grounding, or what, no one knows) is lost in a storm in the N Atlantic (in April), and that's somehow the boat's fault?? Or better yet, time for a pile-on session for Bene's?

CF is nuts. Amazing!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 19:29   #149

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
So lemme get this straight. A HC 36 apparently looses steering, takes on water, and is ultimately abandoned & scuttled in relatively benign conditions and no one casts judgement...
I guess you didn't read that thread or you would have noticed a LOT of judgement. In fact, given the similar lack of information, far too much judgement - particularly directed at the skipper.

If you were to start a thread on Taiwanese yachts I assure you there would be plenty of critical comments as well.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 20:41   #150

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I guess you didn't read that thread or you would have noticed a LOT of judgement. In fact, given the similar lack of information, far too much judgement - particularly directed at the skipper.

If you were to start a thread on Taiwanese yachts I assure you there would be plenty of critical comments as well.

Greg
No, you would have noticed a very few people tentatively positing causality not in alignment with the views of people who violently chased away any viewpoint not in alignment with sainthood of those in trouble. In fact, you would have found a pronounced LACK of judgement - much different than what is going on here.

Here, we are damning an individual boat, all boats associated with the builder, the entire French boat building industry, and the sanity of these people who dared to venture out of sight of land on this boat.

In the other thread, taking an unprepared boat offshore on a 3,000 mile journey with pretty much zero crew experience, a toddler and an infant who had recently been very ill, and a partner who had been blogging for a year about how terrible everything boat-related was, and how much she hated it - all that was considered "normal" and a "tragedy".

Here on this thread, however, it is fodder.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote