Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2019, 09:03   #1

Best way to furl the jib

What is the best way to furl the jib in high wind (say 20+)?
I am trying to find a technique that does not require a lot of strength and is reasonably fast even in high winds, so even my wife can do it without using a winch, if needed.

The assumption here is that you can choose your point of sail when doing it, just trying to find the easiest way.

I did some research online and, to my surprise, there is very little information or videos on the technique to furl the jib (there is a huge amount of information on furlers and how to use them, and many videos on how to unfurl the sail, which is a much simpler maneuver in any wind condition, but not much on how best to furl it).

There seem to be two schools of thought: 1. furl the jib going upwind or even into the wind; 2. furl the jib going downwind or on a broad reach.

I have been experimenting and practicing with both, but I have not found a clear winner.

If you are going upwind, you'll have to ease the sheet considerably to release pressure from the sail. If you ease too much, the sheets will flap around and likely tangle, possibly preventing to furl the sail; if you do not ease enough, it will require great effort to furl.

If you are going downwind or on a broad reach, the idea is that the main would shield the jib and make it easy to furl. In my experience, this happens only if you are close to a run, which is something probably not so desirable in high wind, especially when shorthanded, because of the risk of an accidental jibe. If you are just on a reach, the main would not cover the jib enough, and you have a similar issue as the case above.

So what technique are you using in high winds?

Thank you!
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:33   #2

Re: Best way to furl the jib

Reference: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...-genoa.169435/

There are just the two ways to ease the force on the foresail, head into the wind or run downwind.

As to the sail flogging when headed into the wind, one needs to reign in both sheets to minimize the flailing and center the foresail. If you just loosen the jib / genoa sheets, it will toss about and entangle the sheets.

If I am running or on broad reach I favor blanketing the foresail with the main but shifting course so as to be broad reaching to minimize the potential for a broach when running deep downwind.

If I am beam reaching or close hauled I prefer to head into the wind and to take up the slack in the sheets of the foresail to center it so as to keep the flogging to a minimum and to rapidly furl the jib.

I avoid using a lot of torque on the winch because many furlers don't handle overpowering and / or the furling line jams under extreme pressure.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:41   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 375

If it's really blowing when you head up, the drag on a flapping jib can be enough to prevent a person of average strength from rolling up the sail. Pretty much your only option then is to bear away and at least partially blanket the jib with the main.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:31   #4

Eh, push the button marked "Furl"?

Ok, just luff the boat a little. That takes the pressure off the sail and also brings it inboard so it's easier to handle.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:47   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

In any amount of wind, all you need to do is let the sheet out until The jib just barely luffs.

Then while also holding a slight tension on the sheet, start hauling in that furling line. It will come in nice and easy. And the wrap will be as tight as you like, based on how much pressure you put on the sheet while you are rolling it up. Make sure to get a few wraps of the sheets around that rolled up jib to keep it secure.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 15:28   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

FabioC,

When i am on my night watch, how I do it is to ease the jib sheet to where one or two wraps on the winch keep it from totally flailing around, then haul in on the furler line. Eventually the sheet comes tight again on the winch, then I take off the top wrap, and haul in again on the furler line. This is all "haul away, Joe" kind of effort. If there is a hurry, we both use the Milwaukee right angle drill with a winch bit on the furler winch, and in that case, we simply ease the genoa sheet quickly as it hauls the sail in. it is much easier on aging shoulders. However, the drill is heavy, and in a lumpy sea, I don't have an easy time managing it, but I have not yet chipped the paint. I am a small woman, only 5'2".

Perhaps your research so far has told you what you want to know, there is not too much difference on the point of sail, except hard on the wind in lots of wind, more care is needed to avoid flogging the sail. It will not always be convenient to turn down so far the sail luffs, so finding a way that works for your wife to furl the sail is a good idea....perhaps encouraging her to try different ways and evaluate them?

Ann
Old 04-06-2019, 15:42   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Deep reach (wind on the quarter).

• Reef the main first if overpowered. A full main can cause you to round up.
  • Keep a little tension on the sheet, because the sail should be nearly slack. Particularly in high winds, you want a nice tight, even wrap.
  • Don't jibe. For heaven's sake, you should be able to maintain a broad reach. Pay attention and stay safely above a run... but not too much.
  • Even if the jib is not blanketed, the apparent wind will be about 1/2 (75% less force) if you just bear off. There is no upwind method that changes that simple math.
Furling upwind is rough on the sail, the furler, and the crew. Unless the wind is relatively light, don't do it. There is simply no reason, since bearing away takes only a few seconds. Furling will go considerably faster, perhaps several times faster, often resulting in no net loss of distance to weather, if that matters.

(The OP said blowing over 20 knots and did not specify the boat size. I'm assuming he is struggling.)
Old 04-06-2019, 17:45   #8

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

We teach to furl going down wind, on a broad reach at a minimum.
The main sail wind shadow will release some of the pressure on the jib. Also the jib will not flap has much.
Flapping sail is the best way to damage them.
One should not have to put much strength on the furler
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 18:53   #9

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Deep reach (wind on the quarter).

• Reef the main first if overpowered. A full main can cause you to round up.
  • Keep a little tension on the sheet, because the sail should be nearly slack. Particularly in high winds, you want a nice tight, even wrap.
  • Don't jibe. For heaven's sake, you should be able to maintain a broad reach. Pay attention and stay safely above a run... but not too much.
  • Even if the jib is not blanketed, the apparent wind will be about 1/2 (75% less force) if you just bear off. There is no upwind method that changes that simple math.
Furling upwind is rough on the sail, the furler, and the crew. Unless the wind is relatively light, don't do it. There is simply no reason, since bearing away takes only a few seconds. Furling will go considerably faster, perhaps several times faster, often resulting in no net loss of distance to weather, if that matters.

(The OP said blowing over 20 knots and did not specify the boat size. I'm assuming he is struggling.)
Perfect Answer A+
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:47   #10

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Broad reach to reduce apparent wind, ease sheet way way out, put reefing line on winch to eliminate shock loads on your hands but but haul by hand. Don't stress if you still cam't do this in all situations. We have a huge genoa and I can barely do this by hand in 20 knots, and no way could my wife. Our jib is partially furled by rhe yime it gets to 15 knots, so further reduction is easy.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:52   #11
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Wow! So much complexity!

I have a hanked-on jib, but this same method works with a roller-furler.

1) Heave to.
2) Take in the main.
3) Since the jib is already taken aback, stable and evenly tensioned directly over the deck, drop the jib (or furl it).

That works predictably in winds up to 45 knots (the maximum wind in which I've personally tested). Rigging a jib downhaul line for hanked-on jibs is helpful in winds over 25 knots.

No engine required.

If you want to continue sailing on your jib, instead of taking in the jib with the main, you can just jibe the jib and continue sailing until you are ready to take it in. Then, jibe or tack again to backwind the jib and drop/furl the jib.

Sailing the S.F. Bay on a weekend, one will see at least one boat a day with crew hanging on perilously at the bow while trying to untangle a mess made when they tried to furl a luffing roller-furled jib made chaotic by trying to power up into the wind.

Of course, this all assumes you have a well-behaved boat that is capable of heaving to without performing wild "S" turns around a squirrely fin keel.

Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:59   #12
cruiser

Push the furl button on the Reckmann hydraulic furler.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:00   #13

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Have always found that heading downwind (or broad reach, wind on the quarter) significantly slows the boat, eases pressure on the headsail and allows easy reefing. The first time I tried it I was amazed at how easy it was.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:53   #14

Boat: Ericson sloop 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
FabioC,

When i am on my night watch, how I do it is to ease the jib sheet to where one or two wraps on the winch keep it from totally flailing around, then haul in on the furler line. Eventually the sheet comes tight again on the winch, then I take off the top wrap, and haul in again on the furler line. This is all "haul away, Joe" kind of effort. If there is a hurry, we both use the Milwaukee right angle drill with a winch bit on the furler winch, and in that case, we simply ease the genoa sheet quickly as it hauls the sail in. it is much easier on aging shoulders. However, the drill is heavy, and in a lumpy sea, I don't have an easy time managing it, but I have not yet chipped the paint. I am a small woman, only 5'2".

Perhaps your research so far has told you what you want to know, there is not too much difference on the point of sail, except hard on the wind in lots of wind, more care is needed to avoid flogging the sail. It will not always be convenient to turn down so far the sail luffs, so finding a way that works for your wife to furl the sail is a good idea....perhaps encouraging her to try different ways and evaluate them?

Ann
Where do I find a winch bit?
pyroray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroray View Post
Where do I find a winch bit?
Here.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib