Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-12-2014, 11:38   #1

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 38
Best splicing tool for a newbie

Hey everyone!

So I've been getting by up until now only knowing how to splice triple strand lines but I've started work on a set of lazy jacks and I'm going to need to splice a few thimbles and loops into some double braid. So I was wondering what the easiest tool would be to learn with. I've seen the Samson kit and the Splicing Wand by Brion Toss mentioned a few places. Should I go with one of those or something else?

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2014, 21:18   #2

Boat: Polynesia 40/42
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Best splicing tool for a newbie

I would like to know also.

Old 07-12-2014, 21:29   #3

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere

Splicing wand by Brian Toss. Even I was able to use it successfully.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-12-2014, 21:57   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

If you can afford them, get both. Each has its uses. If only one, I would second the Wand as the first choice. It is a more versatile tool, one tool and many uses, many line sizes. However, sometimes a tubular fid is nice to have. Even with just a few strands in the noose of the Wand you can get a little bump in the tail you are trying to bury as you move it up the cover. Also, for larger lines (1/2" and up) if you are working with older lines sometimes the Wand isn't stiff enough (for that reason, start learning with new rope, older rope will drive you crazy until you have it down).
Old 07-12-2014, 22:37   #5

A marlinspike and a Swedish fid are about all I ever use. That and some blue painter's tape, to keep the ends from fraying. And some canvas needles for whipping, and a cigarette lighter to melt the ends of synthetic to finish the job.

Double braid, I'll defer. For traditional marlinspike seamanship, Hervey Garret Smith's "The Arts of the Sailor" is a great book to get you started, then Lindsey Philpott's "Knots: A Complete Guide" will take you the rest of the way.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:28   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

I like the Toss Wand. I'd recommend getting one on the smaller side, as you can use a small one in larger line, but not a big one in smaller line. One small size fid is also handy, as well as ceramic knife if you are going to high=tech lines. If you are doing double braid from the beginning, make sure it is new line, not used. The Toss pamphlet on splicing with the wand is also handy.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:29   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I'm rather fond of the Brian Toss wand although I think they are overpriced. I would also recommend his video on eye splicing. He demonstrates some tricks of the trade that are not in his rigging book or the wand instruction sheet. The video is available at his web sit and other sources on the net.

Rich
Old 08-12-2014, 09:54   #8

Just one more amen for the Brion Toss wand. With double braid the difficult part is smoothing the line to balance core and cover. Brion's suggestion to wrap bungie chord around the line made that part much easier as well.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:02   #9

I've not come across the Toss wand in the UK - interesting. I can see how it would complement a set of Swedish fids, which I would recommend as a good investment to anyone thinking about splicing - I think I paid about 40 for a set of six.

The biggest issue I found when first spicing an eye in double braid, however, was understanding (from the various instructions I looked at) what I was actually trying to achieve. Maybe it was me being a bit thick, but I couldn't see how the strength of the splice was being achieved.

Oh, and as already mentioned, don't practice on old rope - it's a nightmare
Old 08-12-2014, 10:24   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Over time I've collected a lot of splicing tools that I keep in a Peli case

I find the most important tool is a good set of instructions, but after that comes my long splicing needle and Swedish fids. I have the Brion Toss device but haven't used it yet; but can heartily recommend his books!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:27   #11

Wiekeith,

When I was a kid here in the states we had what we called Chinese thumb traps. It was a cross weave which tightened as you pulled your thumbs apart.

The double braid is also a cross weave so the harder one pulls the rope the tighter the cover strands lock together griping the core strands. As long as there is sufficient length the standing part core strands and the end strands get highly compressed together creating enough friction (but they are so smooth! - I know!) that they cannot slide past each other.

Papasan
Old 08-12-2014, 10:28   #12

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Selma splicing fids. They're the dog's bollox.

Selma as
Old 08-12-2014, 10:36   #13

Thanks for the explanation Papasan. My thinking process did get me there in the end, when I stopped thinking triple strand
Old 08-12-2014, 11:21   #14

i used to work in a rig shop and all we used was a loop of mousing wire with the tube from a ball point pen as a handle. the working end looked like this:
we also had points marked on the bench for fid lengths for different sized ropes. you can get a chart for the lengths in most splicing guides. the one tool works for almost all sizes of rope, and is very cheap.
Old 08-12-2014, 13:00   #15

Boat: 1973 CHB sedan

been using a cut off from old pushbike handle bars for 40 years or so, cheap and you can change design with a hack saw and file, have several different types in splice bag, gets borrowed all the time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: