Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 08:45   #1

Best How to Literature

Hey guys!
This is my first post here, hopefully many. I have a plan to do a circumnavigation, starting sometime in the next 2.5-4 years. Right now I'm in the "save more money phase" I have a little bit of experience on power boats, but non what so ever on sail boats, save for a little dingy I sail on lakes when I can. I know that there is no replacement for actual hands on experience with sailing, and I intend to move to the coast and take a some classes in the spring before begining the boat buying process next fall.

But in the meantime, what are some good books about the how to's of sailing? I'm coming along pretty well with the jargon but there is still a lot of terminology that might as well be Chinese to me. I would like to get the theory down pretty well before I start actually doing. I figured if anyone could help it would be you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Robbywde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:00   #2

Re: Best how to literature

Sailing for Dummies is really a good book. Really.

This is the best sail trim guide I've ever read:

http://shop.catalinaowners.com/prod....0Users%20Guide
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:19   #3

Robby, this is just an opinion (like most things on this forum), but I would not recommend that you buy a cruising boat in a years time. You have much to learn, and it is all easier/less expensive to learn on a smaller boat. Possibly something like a Catalina 22, which you can trailer, camp on and make all of the mistakes that everybody goes thru, without it costing a bundle of money. Learning on a smaller boat generally makes for better sailing skills than starting out on a large boat. When I started out more than 40 years ago, the books were very conservative, and emphasized basic navigation, seamanship and boat preparation. In this day and age there is a HUGE EMPHASIS on electronics, which is fine as long as dependance on electronics doesnt get in the way of learning the basics. Back to my original point, I mention a Catalina only because there are thousands of them, and they have a good support group. They also seem to hold a decent resale value. There are many good small boats, but with a name brand, you could probably sail the hell out of it for a year or two, and not lose much, if any money. You will gain much, much needed experience. Never pass up a chance to sail on other peoples boats, or to crew on racing boats. You will learn a lot that way. As far as current books on cruising, the Pardys seem to have a wrap on book sales, but they are almost as conservative as the writers from the 50s and 60s, which is not a bad thing at all, but there have been lots of improvements over the years. Enough of my rambling for now. _____Welcome to the wonderful world of sailing. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:21   #4

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Sailing itself doesn't change that much from dinghies to big boats. Everything is bigger and the wheel turns the wrong way, but the real challenges are the new systems. To be self sufficient, you need to be a diesel mechanic, plumber, electrician, construction worker, carpenter...

Don Casey is good place to start for learning about those systems. Even if you don't buy an older boat, his recommendations still apply.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:59   #5

Re: Best How to Literature

Green hand,
I'm actually going to enroll in the a marine systems course up in Rhode Island in the spring. 6 months, 9-5, 5 days a week, on every system that can be on a boat. It comes with a lot of industry certifications also so hopefully that will cover me on the systems side of the adventure and help me find a job once I move. I hope to find some friends up there that would be willing to let me crew with them on the weekends, maybe do something even longer once I'm done with the course....

Robbywde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 13:19   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbywde View Post
Green hand,
I'm actually going to enroll in the a marine systems course up in Rhode Island in the spring. 6 months, 9-5, 5 days a week, on every system that can be on a boat. It comes with a lot of industry certifications also so hopefully that will cover me on the systems side of the adventure and help me find a job once I move. I hope to find some friends up there that would be willing to let me crew with them on the weekends, maybe do something even longer once I'm done with the course....

Rob, this may help you on the systems side ...
Marine Survey 101
Old 09-08-2014, 04:47   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

All sailing books are great and sailing magazines are very good too.

Do not over-worry vocab problems, one cannot learn all of it ever.

Learn as you go is a fine attitude - you find something new, look it up on the web, ask around, done.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:49   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Robbywde.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:03   #9

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

The Voyagers Handbook by beth leonard

It will tell you everything you need to know about long range cruising and circumnavigations.

Voyager's Handbook

If Beth doesn't discuss it in her book - you probably don't need to know it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:11   #10

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

I'm a bit of a book lover. About half of my boat is library and those are just the books I cant bring myself to leave in my parents library. I could probably list a few hundred off the top of my head, but If I were starting out all over again and on a "book budget" The books Ive taken the absolute most from I can boil it down to three;

The Craft of Sail, by Jan Adkins

Lovely primer of sailing, beautiful artwork, perfect tone. Makes learning the basics entertaining, and easy. This book had me spellbound.

Seamanship Secrets, by John Jamieson

Takes off almost exactly where the Jan Adkins book ends, sort of a Captains crash course in seamanship. Lot of good simple information and on the fly navigation formulas

This Old Boat, by Don Casey

The basics on how to fix and service most anything relating to old fiberglass boats.

Alternatively, if you are interested in wooden boats instead of fiberglass the Big Book of Wooden Boat Restoration by Thomas Larsson is the best I've found on the topic so far.

At the very least, pick up the first two. The Craft of Sail can be had for next to nothing online and its one of the most enchanting books Ive ever owned, and Seamanship Seacrets will give you most everything else you need to safely and competently run a boat.

Good luck!

Sent from my SGPT12 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:59   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Beyond the basics of sailing and on to cruising boat systems as suggested....anything by Nigel Calder...always excellent.

A bit of formal training can help accelerate your learning curve too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote