Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2018, 13:56   #1

Boat: Beneteau/343
Backing into a slip pointed into a 2knot current

Boat is a Beneteau 343.

I have a new slip where I must back in. The current is about 5 degrees to starboard of my bow. The slip is on the starboard. The prop walk pulls me to Port.

In addition to enlisting help from people in my marina, which I am doing, do you have recommendations? One of my neighbors has offered to work with me and I’ll take him up on his offer.

Before moving I did a lot of backing practice in a marina with no current and other practice alongside a dock with plenty of current. I got pretty capable with both of those scenarios.

Neither really prepared me for this situation. Pointers to YouTube videos or other recommendations would be appreciated.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 14:02   #2
cruiser

Re: Backing into a slip pointed into a 2knot current

I performed exactly the same maneuver just the other day for the first time, what a surprise PITA. It was very difficult to grasp the concept of steering opposite to the way I wanted the stern to go while maintaining a constant 2mph throttle into the current. Everything seemed bassackwards to me. It took five tries with four aborts to finally get it right.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 14:46   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Why do you have to back in? sorry, curiosity got the better of me. I never heard of a marina telling someone they "had to" tie up stern to, is all.

What helps control this boat, is having more way on, like we'd be going 3 kn. if the current is 2 kn against. The problem for this boat is that with two furlers fwd., she tends to have the bow blow down.

Something you might try is successive approximations, like Ken did, but for you, start when there's less current where you can start to get the feel of it; and then, keep practicing as the current increases. There may be some clues on the surface of the water that you can spot and study, learning those may keep you from a surprise some time. Don't try it with a big crosswind, at first. Stick with solving one problem at a time.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 10-05-2018, 14:51   #4

Boat: Beneteau/343

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Why do you have to back in? sorry, curiosity got the better of me. I never heard of a marina telling someone they "had to" tie up stern to, is all.

What helps control this boat, is having more way on, like we'd be going 3 kn. if the current is 2 kn against. The problem for this boat is that with two furlers fwd., she tends to have the bow blow down.

Something you might try is successive approximations, like Ken did, but for you, start when there's less current where you can start to get the feel of it; and then, keep practicing as the current increases. There may be some clues on the surface of the water that you can spot and study, learning those may keep you from a surprise some time. Don't try it with a big crosswind, at first. Stick with solving one problem at a time.

Good luck with it.

Ann

My guess is that they think backing out into the current and trying to make the turn be more treacherous. But it is definitely a guess.

The problem is one of a delicate touch, which does not come easily to me. It is a little difficult to put on forward force that is less than the current.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 15:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
My guess is that they think backing out into the current and trying to make the turn be more treacherous. But it is definitely a guess.

The problem is one of a delicate touch, which does not come easily to me. It is a little difficult to put on forward force that is less than the current.
Actually the situation is good for backing out of the slip. (If I understand the situation anyway!)
The prop pulls the stern into the current right?.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:52   #6

Boat: Marlow Hunter 40

I almost always dock stern in. You might try turning around and stand facing aft, with the wheel in front of you. Then, the steering works just as your used to. Of course you have to get used to the fact that you have to get a little speed before you will have steerage. I find the biggest mistake I make is not maintaining momentum. When you do need to stop, shifting into forward is immediately effective.
Jim Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:55   #7

Boat: Boatless

There is no substitute for practice. See “docking” on blog.

Find a competent old salt to work with you and do it, a lot.

Every time you go down to the boat pull out and in.

Just do it

A

Lot

Won’t take long and you’ll be a pro. Most guys don’t. We buy boats just for this reason. Make her yours and teach the bit*h who’s in charge!

:-)

Seriously, run the damn boat, don’t let her run you. If you get to know her and listen to her she will make you look like a star in any situation.

If you don’t she will have a ball with your ego!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:24   #8

Boat: Seaward 22

I'm thinking spring line to a mid-ship cleat. The other end to the piling at the fairway side of the slip to starboard. As you back in, it should bring you up to the starboard side of the dock when it tightens.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:30   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Would it help if you left a line fastened to the outer end of your stbd "dock"?
Pick this spring line up,loop it around your midship cleat & use it to hold the boat against the "dock".

Let this spring line out as you power backwards.

Len
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Docking.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	169598  
Old 11-05-2018, 09:32   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Beck View Post
I almost always dock stern in. You might try turning around and stand facing aft, with the wheel in front of you. Then, the steering works just as your used to. Of course you have to get used to the fact that you have to get a little speed before you will have steerage. I find the biggest mistake I make is not maintaining momentum. When you do need to stop, shifting into forward is immediately effective.
Not so. Add current to the mix and everything is bassackwards, which is the reason why the OP asks the question.

Using your solution, he would go opposite to the way he wishes to go with the current and prop wash pushing against his rudder.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:45   #11

Well, it works well for me...and others i know that use this technique. Perhaps, like other techniques, it’s not for everyone.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:36   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Well, it works well for me...and others i know that use this technique. Perhaps, like other techniques, it’s not for everyone.
You’ve obviously never done this maneuver against a 2 knot current. Try it sometime.... it’s not as easy as you think.

Maybe you missed the OP’s mention of the 2 KNOT CURRENT which changes everything. He’ll need to steer opposite to what you’re recommending in order to move the stern into his slip.

Please note: As I understand the OP’s predicament, his boat is facing into the current, so the stream is washing across his rudder pushing it opposite to what he intends to do. Your way works fine if he was to be going into the slip with the current running against the stern.

The only way I can get my boat into the slip in tight quarters in the same situation, is to begin as far out from the slip as possible, over-shoot the slip, turn by pivoting on the keel using the bow thruster, rudder and reverse, then gently steer using the forward throttle and let the current push me back slowly into the slip.... and even this doesn’t work 100% of the time.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:04   #13

Didn’t say it was easy...just to me, facing backward simplifies the situation. To each his own. Don’t appreciate your disrespect by the way as you don’t know what I have or haven’t done.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:11   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Didn’t say it was easy...just to me, facing backward simplifies the situation. To each his own. Don’t appreciate your disrespect by the way as you don’t know what I have or haven’t done.
No disrespect intended, just trying to help the OP.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:20   #15

Thank you.

Tags
current, knot