Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-06-2016, 23:58   #1

Boat: Aluminium 44' cutter-ketch
Attenborough drogue research

I'm trying to find information about the Attenborough drogue for a research project I have going.

Before I follow-on, this thread is NOT to encourage debate about the pros and cons for the use of drogues, drogues vs para-anchors, or storm survival and tactics. I'm attempting to seek specific research data/info from CF members who may have an Attenborough drogue or who have used one in a past life. If you wish to respond I respectfully request that you stay on topic.

Here's what I know. The Attenborough drogue is fabricated from 100% stainless steel by Carisbrooke Marine Engineering (a UK company) in the 70's (I think). The company no longer exists so it is not possible to buy a "new" Attenborough drogue. I expect that the majority of these drogues would have been sold in the UK or Europe. I don't believe they were marketed in the U.S. There is only scant detail about this drogue in Victor Shane's DDDB and no case history of one being used in storm conditions.

Due to the relatively high cost of the stainless materials and the fabrication skills necessary to fabricate each individual unit, it is reasonable to assume that the drogues were only manufactured in small numbers and sold for a premium price. (I'm trying to confirm this). The manufacture of each of the four concave louver blades is quite complex.

Coppins of New Zealand sell a soft shell rip-stop material drogue marketed as the "Sea Claw". The diving design and performance of the Sea-Claw is similar to the Attenborough drogue. Both drogues are designed to "dive" and to perform their work 6-10 meters (dependent on rode length) below the turbulent storm waves above.

I have no data to indicate if the drogue performed well and just maybe it was a dud! It is quite a heavy unit (about 10kg) and doesn't store easily, so maybe not popular. I'm informed that the Attenborough design was based on sub-surface trawling equipment used by mine sweepers in WW2.

So was it a successful design??? Don't know!! It certainly is a substantial heavy weight unit with the promise of high performance. Hence the research project.

Once again, if any reader has additional details rigging a suitable rode, performance specifications, history about the manufacturer etc, and can contribute quality info that will assist me to better my research, I will be most interested and appreciative.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Attenborough droug pic1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	127163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attenborough droug pic2.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	127164  

Name:	Attenborough droug pic3.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	127165  

Old 30-06-2016, 23:45   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Attenborough drogue research

Google "serial drogues" I was reading a research article on them not long ago. The one in the image above does not look too practical for use on a pleasure vessel nasty points, non folding, bulky etc.

Old 01-07-2016, 00:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Never heard of them before, so I went for a quick look.

Found this:
https://books.google.com.pg/books?id...gue%22&f=false

info about sizing and rodes. You may need to scroll back a couple of pages to get to the start of the section.. There is an interesting picture of one rigged with two pendants for use as emergency steering!

Also one scant history in
Analysis & Lessons Learned: Drogues | Victor Shane's Drag Device Data Base

"In May 1990, the traditionally designed 35-ft. yacht Saecwen deployed an Attenborough drogue (louvered stainless steel design) while running before a storm in the Atlantic. The drogue seems to have slowed the yacht down too much. She began to be overwhelmed by the larger breaking seas. Saecwen was pooped three times in twenty minutes, whereupon her owner Charles Watson retrieved the drogue and ran under bare poles. Shortly thereafter the yacht was thrown onto her beam ends by a big sea, causing some damage. Watson thinks that a smaller drogue - one with less drag - might have been better, allowing slightly higher speeds. Unfortunately more information was not available. Saecwen's plight is described in the fourth edition of Heavy Weather Sailing and does seem to fall into consistency with the Abernethy bounding box - "below 6-7 knots, but above 3 knots.""
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Attenborough.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	127217  
Old 07-07-2016, 00:45   #4

Thanks to the two responders. My special thanks to StuM for his research and for providing the link to the Earl Hinz's book "Heavy Weather Tactics". The link was most appreciated and provided valuable additional information that I'd not seen before.

The link confirmed that the drogue is a practical design for the the long distance cruisers. Hinz identified that it is practical option to mount the drogue externally on the pushpit (to aid easy deployment in storm conditions), that the side wings ensure that it tows/steers straight without rotation, and that the stainless steel design can survive multiple deployments. Most interestingly I'm now aware that the drogue was fabricated in three sizes.

I'd still like to hear from other CF members who may have design, sales, test or rigging information on the Attenborough drogue.
Old 31-07-2016, 01:57   #5

Attenborough drogue research - update

Basis of Attenborough design.
CF members may be interested in the additional information about this drogue.

The drawing shows rigging setup for the "kite" used by the Royal Navy (U.K.) which was included as part of the tackle used for mine sweeping. This design was basis for the Attenborough drogue design. The drogue is intended to "fly" vertically similar to the wings of the Focker Triplane.

Re Focker Triplane photo:
From the photo, you can see that the trailing edge of the wings of the aircraft turn down to promote lift where as the trailing edge of each of the four louvers of the Attenborough drogue roll up to promote the dive action.

The suggested length of the rode is relative short (50-60 meters) compared to the suggested rode length for other drogues. When correctly rigged and deployed, the drogue is designed to dive and hold station some 5-8 meters below the turbulent storm waves above.

I'm still not sure if all this works in practice. I look forward to posting some actual test results in the near future.

Hope you find this interesting. Rgds
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Attenborough droug pic1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	128771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Multiplane Kite - rigged as a depressor Pic-00a.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	128772  

Name:	FokkerDR1 triplane.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	128773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Minesweeper Kite_Otter setup pic-04.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	128774  

Old 31-07-2016, 02:56   #6

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Interesting stuff. Keen to see how your tests turn out. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 31-07-2016, 03:30   #7

Seems that Nigel Richard Attenborough only gained one patent. His patent application was GB1989/000446.

British patents are not the most accessible in the world. It's easier to access US patents or 'world' patents.

Attenborough seems not to have sought a US patent. The US patent database directs inquiry to the world patent, which is available from the European database.

Attached is the world patent, WO1989010295A1.pdf (about 560 KB).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf WO8910295A1.pdf (566.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 31-07-2016, 03:49   #8

Note the ultimate para on p. 5.

That para is typed by a typewriter or font ball (a sans serif typeface) different from the machine or font ball (serif typeface) that did the rest of the document.

That suggests the para was added as an afterthought specifically to protect the up curve/up tilt of the vanes.

The upward curve and tilt are shown in the drawings.
Old 31-07-2016, 04:40   #9

The text of the British patent, GB2218956, is identical - including that paragraph in sans serif typeface.

Just for the complete set: GB2218956A.pdf, about 440 KB.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GB2218956A.pdf (440.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 31-07-2016, 04:59   #10

The UK electoral roll of 2002 had Neil Attenborough and his spouse Jennifer (they married in 1982, not that we're prying) living at that address (Puttenham Hill, Guildford, GU3 1AH - Residents, Businesses, Information - 192.com suggests that Fallowfield has not changed hands for a while).

One real estate website suggests that Fallowfield would be worth GBP1 mill + on the market.

I've not found NA's telephone number. A CF member in Guildford or Surrey should be able to find it for you (if they still produce dead tree versions of phone books).

Tags
arc, drogue, research

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: