Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2016, 12:34   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Attaching reefing line directly to cringle cuts line aloft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
There are a couple ways to solve this, but one is to attach the reef line to the aft end of the boom and run it up through the cringle and down to the cheek block on the boom below the cringle and then forward. I am not such a fan of that because my head always seems to find the cheek block and hit it. But it is one way. Another is to have a sailmaker put a cringle in the foot below the reef point to take the line around the boom. Never seen that, but I can imagine it.
In our case, we're much more likely to get thwacked in the head by the sheet blocks on bails hanging off the bottom of the boom than the relatively small cheek block (wood cased) on the side of the boom. You can see the reefing line hanging down from the cheek block in this photo. It's the nearest one going forward. The far one going forward is a preventer that is clipped onto a padeye on the bottom of the boom just aft of the sheet blocks/bails.

Old 15-04-2016, 12:49   #47

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
In our case, we're much more likely to get thwacked in the head by the sheet blocks on bails hanging off the bottom of the boom than the relatively small cheek block (wood cased) on the side of the boom. You can see the reefing line hanging down from the cheek block in this photo. It's the nearest one going forward. The far one going forward is a preventer that is clipped onto a padeye on the bottom of the boom just aft of the sheet blocks/bails.
Still, as high as your boom is, there is a unique gravitational phenomenon between my head and cheek blocks. I'm sure I'd still get smacked. And those bails? yeah, those too. Nice shot btw, where is that?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 13:13   #48
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Still, as high as your boom is, there is a unique gravitational phenomenon between my head and cheek blocks. I'm sure I'd still get smacked. And those bails? yeah, those too. Nice shot btw, where is that?
That's just outside the Golden Gate bridge on our first ever trip up from San Diego to the SFBay in 2010. Wing on wing on wing on wing (Main, fore, staysail and jib all batwinged out) we were running into the Bay at 12.5 kts SOG (3 kts was current) and with our 47' waterline that was pretty good going. We had passed everything downtown and zipped around by the financial district before we ever knew what was happening.

Surprisingly I've not been hit by those bails or any of the crap hanging off the boom--and there's plenty to be attacked by. When the boom is centered, it is only 6'5" above the cockpit sole and the bails are a threat to forgetful folks for sure.
Old 15-04-2016, 13:20   #49

Of course! Well that's embarrassing, I was just at the beach there watching the kite surfers a few weeks ago. Though it looked familiar. Wow, still 9.5 knots, a schooner.... can I have a ride on your boat? I'll bring my helmet.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 15-04-2016, 14:15   #50
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
can I have a ride on your boat? I'll bring my helmet.
Entirely dependent on whether you are just a danger to yourself or do you get others involved in the pain?
Old 15-04-2016, 15:17   #51

Quote:
Entirely dependent on whether you are just a danger to yourself or do you get others involved in the pain?
UH, yeah, usually just myself... I graciously provide everyone with the example of what NOT to do, for all the training sessions
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 15-04-2016, 22:22   #52

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

I found this idea from SV Totem . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frictionless-ring-on-main.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	122716  
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 23:13   #53
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post

What does it fairlead to? Cheek block?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-04-2016, 23:44   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Looks like the previously discussed problem - the angle doesn't balance the load correctly between leech and foot. The direction of tension should be between the two webbing straps. Rigged that way, it is all below the lower one.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 08:44   #55

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Looks like the previously discussed problem - the angle doesn't balance the load correctly between leech and foot. The direction of tension should be between the two webbing straps. Rigged that way, it is all below the lower one.
Look at the photo again. It is not hoisted in the photo, so the lines lead aft to the boom, and end of boom. This takes out much of the friction in the cringle and lets the line articulate.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 16:07   #56
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Look at the photo again. It is not hoisted in the photo, so the lines lead aft to the boom, and end of boom. This takes out much of the friction in the cringle and lets the line articulate.
As rigged, it looks like it should not lead directly to the end of the boom. The load vector should be down and back more-or-less equally. So--when you reef, the reefing clew is further forward on the boom than the regular (end of boom) clew and leading the reefing line to the end of the boom won't provide the correct load--you have to have a line around the boom, a cleat, something that prevents that load vector from being too horizontal essentially. Was there a pic of the boom showing a cheek block, line, or similar control?

Thanks!
Old 18-04-2016, 05:31   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post

Here's my complicating factor, that I just realized... my sail has bolt rope on the foot and it lives in a slot in my mast... so there's no way to rig a line around the boom, unless I only do it when the sail is reefed.

... so I really want to have something in place to make it quick and easy, but there's not a way I see with the way the foot of my main lives in the boom to make that happen with a permanent line around the boom.

Whoever made the sail with a bolt rope in the foot should have also installed grommets or slits in the foot to allow the reefing lines to pass around the boom. Not needed with loose footed mains. All mains I've owned have had this provision.

Ideally you can run the reefing lines from the end cap of the boom. Adding blocks or anything with sharp edges to the side of a boom greatly increases the chance if a life-threatening injury during an accidental gybe.

Quote:
There are a couple ways to solve this, but one is to attach the reef line to the aft end of the boom and run it up through the cringle and down to the cheek block on the boom below the cringle and then forward. I am not such a fan of that because my head always seems to find the cheek block and hit it. But it is one way. Another is to have a sailmaker put a cringle in the foot below the reef point to take the line around the boom. Never seen that, but I can imagine it.
SailFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 07:58   #58
Marine Service Provider

Attaching reefing line directly to cringle cuts line aloft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFanatic View Post
Ideally you can run the reefing lines from the end cap of the boom. Adding blocks or anything with sharp edges to the side of a boom greatly increases the chance if a life-threatening injury during an accidental gybe.

Cheek blocks need not have sharp edges though they too often do. I believe Don was referring to his running into the unexpected protrusions (perhaps even while the boom lay in its gallows) rather than them running into him.

Round the buoy racers often seem to place their bodies in harms way as they compete. OTOH There is little reason for casual sailors or any cruisers to habitually do so. Do you think that one must sail in such a way to allow oneself to be in the way of the boom regularly? Unless racing, I cannot think so.

Old 18-04-2016, 11:16   #59

Quote:
Cheek blocks need not have sharp edges though they too often do. I believe Don was referring to his running into the unexpected protrusions (perhaps even while the boom lay in its gallows) rather than them running into him.
HA! Yes, and I have the scars to prove it! But in my own defense, I was wearing a large brimmed hat so my peripheral vision was impaired.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 18-04-2016, 16:27   #60
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
HA! Yes, and I have the scars to prove it! But in my own defense, I was wearing a large brimmed hat so my peripheral vision was impaired.

That's a common problem--put on the Sun hat and protective equipment and the next thing you know you're off your game. 😚