Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2011, 02:27   #1

Aries Help

This is the summer of longer passages so i need to get my Aries up and running. Could anyone talk me through their routine from the point where someone is steering to the Aries taking over.

I could also do with pointers on sail trim etc on different points of sail (my boat is a sloop).

I dont have any of the paper work so any advice is very much appreciated.

cheers martin

PS should i give it a name?
santa clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 06:51   #2
Eternal Member

Re: Aries help

I've used my Aires on several long offshore passages. It is worth about three crew members: it works 24/7 without complaint, it likes heavy weather, it doesn't draw down the batteries, and it doesn't drink the beer!

I don't have time enough today for a really detailed answer on how to set it up. But, here's what I suggest you try.

First, with the wheel drum spinning loose be sure all the lines are tight. I use loops tied in the lines from the Aires, and pass the control lines thru these, doubled back on themselves and secured with multiple half-hitches. This gives you a 2:1 advantage when tightening the lines.

Next, get onto a close reach. This is probably the easiest point of sail to set up the Aires, and you can learn from here.

Then, while maintaining a constant course and angle to the wind, grasp and turn the handles on the Aires unit until the blade stands straight up, with wind passing equally on both sides. Wait for the blade in the water to settle down, then engage the steering drum and let go of the wheel.

Now, you can adjust heading by small clicks of the latches on either side of the Aires.

Getting it right takes some time and patience, and depends on your boat, the point of sail, the wind speed, etc. But, if you are patient and experiment a little, you will find that the Aires is your favorite crewmember!

By all means give it a name!!!

Hope this helps a bit.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 12:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors
Getting it right takes some time and patience, and depends on your boat, the point of sail, the wind speed, etc. But, if you are patient and experiment a little, you will find that the Aires is your favorite crewmember!
This the bit that worries me! Could you expand a bit on what to experiment with? Do you just mean sail trim or am I missing something?

I found the Monitor blurb online somewhere and that suggests having a reef in the main so the boat would tend to bear off I guess with the windvane pulling it back up to windward.

How good a course can you expect? The Monitor blurb didn't sound very optimistic but I've read more than one account that describes a windvane as better than the skipper (these were very experienced people writing too).

Many thanks for the reply
Martin
santa clara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries